www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

Post subject: Exhaust size
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:07 pm 
Junior WRC

Car Model: None
What advantage will a 3" exhaust have over a 2.5" on my car?
I am considering the Mongoose system but I may approach blue flame to see if they can sort me a 3" system.
My car is stock at the mo but will have a xspower or aussie d/p fitted along with k&n induction soon.

p.s. what is the stock pipe size on my CS?

Thanks

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:33 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
The stock exhaust size is a bit difficult to measure as it changes down the length. Probably somewhere in the region of 2.5" to 1.75" at various points.

The stock flexi section is particuarly restrictive.

Personally I would go for a 2.5" system, for reasons of ease of fitting and rubbing/knocking noises, price and potential issues with controlling the boost, problems which can manifest themselves with a 3" system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:17 am 
Group N

I'm using the blueflame (mongoose) 2 3/4" exhaust. Their newest design with the welded on back box hanger. If you go 3" I believe you have to keep a eye out for boost creep. There shouldn't be any problems with fitting as the 2 3/4" system has bags of room. I'd personally ring these people http://www.blueflameperformance.com/ as they make the exhausts for Mongoose and ask them if they can make a 3" system. Some how I doubt it because their jigs will be for the 2 1/2" & 2 3/4" systems.

I know jj-japcars on the 4oc is making a 3" system. He's build quality looks better than Blueflame/Mongoose. Also its said to have a beautiful exhaust note & not cause much cabin drone on motorway bashes.

Tone

CT26B Turbo clocking bracket *CT20 version soon*
Metal polishing service *Up to show standards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:36 am 
Junior WRC

GTone wrote:
I'm using the blueflame (mongoose) 2 3/4" exhaust. Their newest design with the welded on back box hanger. If you go 3" I believe you have to keep a eye out for boost creep. There shouldn't be any problems with fitting as the 2 3/4" system has bags of room. I'd personally ring these people http://www.blueflameperformance.com/ as they make the exhausts for Mongoose and ask them if they can make a 3" system. Some how I doubt it because their jigs will be for the 2 1/2" & 2 3/4" systems.

I know jj-japcars on the 4oc is making a 3" system. He's build quality looks better than Blueflame/Mongoose. Also its said to have a beautiful exhaust note & not cause much cabin drone on motorway bashes.

Tone

Cheers guys

I did actually ask about the 2.75" system on the oc but I was informed that Mongoose never did a 2.75".
The main issue for me however was that as long as the Mongoose 2.5" is less restrictive than the stock system then I'd be ok. I understood the stock flexi-section was restrictive so replacing this with a 2.5" will be much better.
With the subtle mods that I'm doing in the coming months ahead it seems a 2.5" is the way forward for me.

Cheers

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:02 pm 
Group N

i would like a 2.5" flexi too.but all i have seen so far is the 3"aussie.i think when jjjaps is done he's gonna sell as a system,or bits.i like the idea of 3" but dont like the idea of unstable boost.i never gonna go the full hog on my 4 so will never need 3" of fun.but who knows what the future has in store

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:06 pm 
Group N

Quote:
Their newest design with the welded on back box hanger.
good good that is the only thing i hated on the goose/blueflame it looked a bit universal chav system style :lol: the reason i never bought one.any pics tone,i may be on my third exhaust if looks good :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:16 pm 
Junior WRC

sillycar gt4cs wrote:
i would like a 2.5" flexi too.but all i have seen so far is the 3"aussie.i think when jjjaps is done he's gonna sell as a system,or bits.i like the idea of 3" but dont like the idea of unstable boost.i never gonna go the full hog on my 4 so will never need 3" of fun.but who knows what the future has in store

Not 100% sure if HS&R do one?
Custom section perhaps?
I'm going for a Mongoose with an xspower d/p by the looks of things....unless a cheap aussie comes up in the meanwhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:26 pm 
Group N

Quote:
HS&R
not heard good things about them,but that is only hear say,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:29 pm 
Junior WRC

What about a custom powerflow section made to your spec?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:39 pm 
Group N

Quote:
What about a custom powerflow section made to your spec?
dont know im fussy,and worry they would mess the flexi up,dont mind the mid pipe being done though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:00 pm 
Group N

sillycar gt4cs wrote:
Quote:
Their newest design with the welded on back box hanger.
good good that is the only thing i hated on the goose/blueflame it looked a bit universal chav system style :lol: the reason i never bought one.any pics tone,i may be on my third exhaust if looks good :lol:

Might be a back box piccy on my site http://jamjar.harbourlight.uk.com I'll dig through my digital camera addiction folders and see if I have any better ones. If the wife wasn't taking the car out i'd jack it up and snap away... Highly recommend the system. Bit of a drone on motorways, quality is good but finish gets 7/10. The bit of the design I don't like is the U-clip that holds two sections together. If the zorst slips then it'll cause the rear section to drop and rub against your cv boot. Saying that if you make sure its nice and tight to start with that shouldn't happen. I fitted the system on my own (hence no photos) but would suggest a second pair of hands to make it a sinch.

Noticed a BIG increase in performance compaired to my stock system. I already had the Aussie downpipe installed when the Blueflame went on. The exhaust notes not too noisey around town but when you open it up she roars, then you hit 5k rpm and it sounds devine, as sweet as Nancy Wilson on acid....

Tone

CT26B Turbo clocking bracket *CT20 version soon*
Metal polishing service *Up to show standards