www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

Post subject: Cyl head reliability
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: ST185
How reliable are the heads in the st185 and if they go what's their availability and cost?

Just asking as I need to make a quick decision, got two engines c/w transmissions located at my old house that have stood outside for 12 months, the landlord wants to get rid of them asap (understandably), can't decide if its worth the journey and time to retrieve them, one was fine when it was left there the other is unknown. I'm sure both will most likely contain rain water but may have some salvageable items in/on them.

I didn't knowingly leave the good one outside! :D long story, on a farm, renting a barn etc etc

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Cyl head reliability
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:08 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
it depends what its going to cost to get them back. To be honest, if they have been sitting outside theres probably not much worth getting them. I know I wouldnt buy an engine that had been outside for a while. Just cut your losses, ha.

My spare st205 box is only worth around £100

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 pm 
New Poster

Yeah they were my initial thoughts, it won't cost anything other than the time to remove one from the half car its sat in and split both of them to get them in a small trailer to get them home. I wouldn't want to sell them as, like you, I wouldn't buy one that's been stood outside. Just wondering if its worth stripping them and seeing if there's anything to keep as spares for myself, heads, oil pumps, internals etc. They're both complete as in manifolds and plugs etc so they've not been completely open to the weather but certainly not going to be water tight or in use able condition as they are.

Just don't want to spend a load of time and money on my car to find the heads cracked or something equally annoying. Mine currently runs smooth but isn't road worthy so haven't been able to test it thoroughly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
If its only going to take time and effort to get them then there's no harm taking them apart and seeing what people are willing to buy, I never had any bother with my 185 engine, things like head gaskets and such you need to buy new anyway if it goes. The head and block should be fine but it all depends on water ingress I suppose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Crank & rods will be ok. Pistons probably salvagable (pistons are a weak point, but you may go forged anyway) head & block castings are ok.
If water hasn't got into the bores badly, the engines are probably fine anyway with a strip & clean - all depends how deep the rust has gone.

The weak links in the engines are pistons and cracked blocks. Probably worth getting the engines anyway as you'll find you end up paying good money for a block when you need one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 am 
New Poster

Thanks for the info. Bit of a long shot but could be worth the effort if there are some decent parts. There's still plenty of parts left on the half car, it will be taken for scrap very soon so I'll try get a pic of it in case there's some obscure component someone is after from the engine bay, rather someone use it than scrap it! I'll post it in the for sale section. The good stuff is gone but freebies are freebies! :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:44 pm 
Club Staff

Agree with Chris
Quote:
Probably worth getting the engines anyway as you'll find you end up paying good money for a block when you need one.

...based on building a hybrid forged engine at a later date with 185 block and 205 top end.

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:00 pm 
New Poster

Managed to salvage them, only oil came out the sump plug so at least no water in the blocks anyway. Will strip them down and see what is usable.

Only things left on the half car is windscreen and steering rack, might fetch those another say if still there.