www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:09 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Looking at that list can't be AM1 as it cranks and the cold start injector is active

AM2 wouldn't seem to take out the radio unless it kills the circuit opening relay (assuming the 185 has one, next to the ecu)
Looking at the list I think the main fusebox has lost its power connection or a plug is adrift internally

Do the headlights go off on the ignition key normally?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:21 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
No main beam headlights can be functioned when keys out.. cigarette lighter radio work off ignition. To best of my knowledge. Umm will have a quick.look at resistor packs before I call auto electrician. Spoke to guy who did box swap he doesn't know of any issues he just did the engine unplug to drop it and says he reconnected all earths and plugs he undid ... more and more confused

Last edited by Jpascoe92 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:35 pm 
Club Staff

:roll:

Doesn't help when the ewd has mistakes. Page 637 entire ecu powered of incorrectly named AM2 fusible link via AM1 ignition circuit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:02 pm 
Club Staff

Does of have an aftermarket imoblyiser fitted?
It's pretty common for boxes of electrickery for that kind of stuff to be fitted in the centre console in the vicinity of the gear selector cables.......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:31 pm 
Group B

two_OH_five wrote:
:roll:

Doesn't help when the ewd has mistakes. Page 637 entire ecu powered of incorrectly named AM2 fusible link via AM1 ignition circuit

I spotted that, and used the (I assume) correct numbering to compile the list.

Fuel when cranking (confirmed smell of fuel from exhaust) implies fuel pump is running, which means power present at ECU as the pump is fed from that. Hence suggestion to check ECU earth on underside of manifold.

I gather it has an alarm / immobiliser which is a possibility. These are normally wired in fuel pump / ignition / starter lines and would rarely take out lights.

One clue for me is that the battery is bigger than standard and the fusebox (and possibly resistor packs) are just floating in mid air. The fusebox metal bracket potentially shorting to battery + terminal. Might seem consistent with the 2 failure times.
1: during gear change from 1st to second. Corrected by wiggling fuses and pulling box away from battery.

2: going over a speed bump. IGN fuse blown (I assume the 7.5A one) plus other circuits not working.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:38 pm 
Clubman

Thinl the fuse that blew was one marked ecu-ig? 15 amp fuse. :-\ autowatch fitted alarm.. still works as car wont crank if immobilized. I don't have a clue... wondering whether just to take it back to matey who did the gearbox abd give him the keys and tell him to fix his mistake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:06 pm 
Club Staff

Apologies in advance OP, this rant has been building for a while... :lol:

FFS why don't people provide relevant information when looking for help
You get a car won't start thread, 3 pages of people trying to be helpful before it's revealed that the engine has been replaced with a prototype space/time drive derived from the LHC and the battery has been relocated to the fifth moon of Neptune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:34 pm 
Clubman

Lol I will apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject.. lol I.e the ask for help

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:38 pm 
Club Staff

Anyway
I still think something is amiss in the main fusebox
Assuming all the fuses are indeed intact the failure seems to span multiple circuits. Lights don't appear to use the manifold earth strap (although the inner workings of the retract control relay are a mystery to me and it may somehow be reliant on ecu signals) as they're earthed through the main earth to the wing
As far as I can see the fuel pump doesn't need input from the ecu. The ecu can switch it but from what I see as long as the starter is engaged the circuit open relay is energised and the fuel pump is powered. This uses an earth allegedly in the centre console
So it looks like most things are getting some form of earth via the chassis
But lights and ecu appear unpowered. In light of the fact that wibbling the fusebox has brought it back to life a couple of times I still think the problem is lurking in there. My guess is still a connector that's only partly connected

The blown fuse is the joker in the pack but arcing contacts can do weird things

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:52 pm 
Clubman

So replace fusebox to solve problem?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:20 pm 
Group B

two_OH_five wrote:
Apologies in advance OP, this rant has been building for a while... :lol:

FFS why don't people provide relevant information when looking for help
You get a car won't start thread, 3 pages of people trying to be helpful before it's revealed that the engine has been replaced with a prototype space/time drive derived from the LHC and the battery has been relocated to the fifth moon of Neptune

Now that got a laugh :lol: You often gain a lot more from a conversation or seeing the car.

two_OH_five wrote:
Anyway
I still think something is amiss in the main fusebox
Assuming all the fuses are indeed intact the failure seems to span multiple circuits. Lights don't appear to use the manifold earth strap (although the inner workings of the retract control relay are a mystery to me and it may somehow be reliant on ecu signals) as they're earthed through the main earth to the wing
As far as I can see the fuel pump doesn't need input from the ecu. The ecu can switch it but from what I see as long as the starter is engaged the circuit open relay is energised and the fuel pump is powered. This uses an earth allegedly in the centre console
So it looks like most things are getting some form of earth via the chassis
But lights and ecu appear unpowered. In light of the fact that wibbling the fusebox has brought it back to life a couple of times I still think the problem is lurking in there. My guess is still a connector that's only partly connected

The blown fuse is the joker in the pack but arcing contacts can do weird things

Agree, gut feeling (a very big one ;) ) it's a fusebox related problem. Arcing, especially into inductive or capacititive loads, causes surges that can blow fuses. They can also blow ECU's.

I don't think replacement is the answer as the problem is usually in the connections.

I'm happy to have a first look on Sunday evening on the way back from the meet, I'm quite likely to spot something the untrained eye wouldn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 pm 
Clubman

Cool cheers guys.. Im just getting annoyed after getting screwed over first with mechanic in gill trying to extort me then car being returned damaged and now this. Desperately need it done and sorted. :-\

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:47 pm 
Group B

Frustrated normally comes with age :lol:

You should try reporting a cell fault with Vodafone. Been without service for nearly 2 weeks now, been round in circles and they still won't acknowledge it's not working despote now 4 peple posting on their tech. forum. If it's not working or acknowledged by Monday, I'm cancelling the direct debit and going elsewhere, with the ensuing legal battle like I had with Cellnet years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:05 pm 
Clubman

Ohh dear that's not good.. I had problems last night because of vodaphone... 11o'clock at night in low temperature no jacket and no car running.. couldn't get through to breakdown for 3 hours :-\

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:26 pm 
Clubman

Replaced fusebox and all sorted thank you guys :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next