www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:22 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
hi im looking on putting a fmic on the car when ive got time so looking on doing some reasearch first
basically id like to use the OE BOV, but to my knowledage i havnt seen any used (and cant see why not) as most go with a after market one
main reason being is i dont want the noise of a aftermarket one and id like to keep spending down
also its the toyosport pipeing kit with a different core (probably a evo core, whats people thoughts on the copy ones)?
as at the end of the day the core and end tanks are the same,
also wheres the best place for the BOV? ive seen it near the throttle body and nearer the turbo (does it really matter)?
a few things id like to pointout before anybody answers
the toyo pipeing kit is not a clocked version obviously, but it does work perfectly fine
its a project im doing myself (plus a freind whos done his own) its to keep the cost down and mainly to replace the charge cooler parts which are on 200k so they are nearing the end of theyer life
i know this isnt the gt4oc, but please refrain for telling me i need to get the turbo clocked with a different pipeing kit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:31 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
I think the main reason most people go for an aftermarket BOV is the OEM unit is configured to cope with more limited standard boost of ~0.9bar. Also, they will be at least 15 years old now so wear and tear become a factor.

I'm using a secondhand Forge recirculating BOV in my race spec ST205 so it won't be as noisy as the type that vent to atmosphere.

As you can see my BOV is located mid-way between the FMIC and the throttle body although it's currently venting to atmosphere until I get the reecirc plumbing installed. I don't think it makes any difference where it's positioned along this pipe. It's function is simply to dump excess air from the compressor/intercooler off-throttle before it hits the throttle plate thus preventing compressor stall so position shouldn't be critical.

The Forge unit is quite a common upgrade and parts are easy to get. Unlike the OEM unit you can dismantle it for servicing etc. There are other makes available which are a similar design.

I presume the Toyosports kit you have is this one? http://www.toyosports.co.uk/fmic-toyota ... -634-p.asp

Whilst clocking of the compressor may improve air flow into the intercooler and improve the aesthetics there are plenty of examples where this hasn't been done. As a matter of interest does the Toyosports kit come supplied with pipes for a non-clocked compressor? It's not clear on their website.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:06 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
thanks for the reply and info
you have a point about the OE BOV with reguards to the operation and the fact that age is also a factor
i was more concerned with the type of adaptor id have to get more that what you pointed out, so its got me thinking
you mentioned your forge BOV, basically as long as its reasonably quiet i would probably go with another
(altho i wouldnt know which one) and the fact that a not OE would be easeyer to plumb into the pipework

just to note with regards to the site you put up, the kit can be had over here for around £160 so it is quite
a cost effective way of replaceing the charge cooler set up (which is my main goal)

also its quite a easy kit as nothing has to be messed with (again my main reason for useing it)
its just a case of removeing the CC set up and bolt it together

sorry cant add photos so cant show the route
but as said nothing gets moved at all, with the turbo left untouched

[url]