www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:38 am

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:06 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
Hi all, I've had my rev3 MR2 turbo for a few years now and absolutely love it. The only problem is that I don't really get to use it now since I'm now a daddy, and we always end up going out in the wife's Mazda2 instead. It seems a waste having my car sat on the drive all the time, and I want to be able to still drive a decent car and not have to leave my family at home.

My first choice is an evo VI, but chances are I won't be able to stretch to afford to buy one, so I'm also considering alternatives just in case.

I've always liked the st205's, and I'm obviously familiar with the engine already, but I'm just wondering if I'll still enjoy it after having the MR2. Sure it'll get round corners with less drama, but the drama is some of the appeal I guess. It's also a heavier car with greater transmission losses, so I'm undecided. Also, is an import likely to have more toys than a UK model? I know my MR2 has some extras only available to the japanese versions, like retracting mirrors, aircon as standard, etc. Does the same apply to the celica?

One more thing, I've seen the boot of one! Not even sure if our pushchair will fit!

Is anyone in the harrogate area to help me find out if a gt4 is still a viable option or not?

And would anyone consider a straight swap with a 300bhp MR2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:19 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
The JDM ST205's have a different spec to UK ST205's like electric folding mirrors and climate control but dont have headlamp washers or electric levelling. You can't really say one is better than the other.

I would strongly recommend you take an ST205 for a drive if you can find a friendly owner near you. I've know quite a few MR2 owners who have said they were impressed by the performance. Regarding storage/boot space you can get a surprising amount in. You can always remove the rear strut brace if you have large and bulky items to load.

I've had my GT-Four for over 12 years and lots of owners have actually bought their cars back after selling them. There's not many cars you can say that about.

Good luck :)

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:11 pm 
New Poster

Thanks for the reply. Is there a list on here of all differences between jap and UK spec? I already found the jap spec ecu has a different fuel map thanks to the UK version being made to run on 95ron, but other than that I don't know much about the car itself.

Electric levelling for example, I assume that's to do with the suspension? Is that on all UK st205 GT4's, or just an extra, or only on later ones? Do any UK gt4's have climate control, as it's a must for me really.

I know straight line stuff isn't really what they're about, but what are they like for 0-60mph and 1/4 mile times? For example, my MR2 was timed at 4.7 seconds to 60 and 13.2 for the 1/4 mile at 15psi, before I turned the boost up to 18psi. Should be 13 flat now or maybe even high 12's. How does a GT4 with similar power compare? I can quite easily just transfer my mods over since the engine is the same barring the chargecooler, which is a plus.

And if I did have to remove the rear brace to fit the pushchair in, how much would the handling be effected? As obviously I wouldn't be removing and refitting it all the time, it would have to stay out if I needed the room.

Just need to find someone in my area then to see if I'd be happy with one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:20 pm 
New Poster

Double post. :roll:

Last edited by Stuartthefish on Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:03 pm 
Club Staff

It's swings and roundabouts on equipment

The jdm has purely cosmetic upgrades -climate and folding mirrors

The uk models have some cosmetic upgrades - headlight washers, bonnet spoiler, light levelling via a manual adjuster in the cockpit, dimmable dash lights and no ugly rear fog light
UK spec also has an uprated gearbox cooler and a rear diff cooler which is absent on the JDM model

0-60 times vary. Yes you loose some power compared to the MR2. Expect 5.5 ish in a stock car but expect this under most weather conditions too ;) Early 14s would be about right for a stocker but a stock clutch won't thank you for that!

Re the rear brace....there's a cusco one available that lets you remove the centre section leaving the mounting brackets on the strut tops. Much more convenient. On the road I doubt you'd notice much difference but I'm sure there will be plenty who claim the handling is totally transformed with an uprated rear brace. I upgraded to the cusco version for mtb transport and don't find any difference over stock and little difference when removed tbh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:24 pm 
New Poster

Of course, electric levelling is for the UK headlights, stupid me! Same as the MR2 then, no biggie, same for the dimmer switch. That reminds me though, what's the deal with that bonnet spoiler the celica's get? My friend's st185 had one too, what's actually the point of them, as they certainly aren't for looks! Only the UK versions got them?

Interesting to know about the UK version getting better gearbox and rear diff coolers though, I wonder why? Easy enough to fit to a JDM model? As like I say, climate control is a must for me, so it's still looking jap spec if anything I think. I would probably miss my retracting mirrors too, unless they too can easily be fitted to a UK spec celica. Depends if any of the dash wiring for it is there on a UK car, I know on a UK MR2 it isn't, making it harder (but still not impossible) to fit. I assume the UK ones are the only ones with heated mirrors too the same as with the MR2's? Again, easy to fit though, as I've done it with my jap MR2.

Sorry for the double post above too by the way. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:26 pm 
Group N

IIRC the bonnet spoiler is a WRC fitment and was designed to stop the bonnet from deforming at speed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:57 pm 
New Poster

Really? You are on about the little spoiler on the rear of the bonnet aren't you? Nearest the windscreen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:58 pm 
Group N

Yes, really really! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:10 pm 
Group B

205 bonnets are made from ali. When I took mine off to change the engine I went to pick it off the car and nearly threw it over my shoulder it was so light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:25 am 
Club Staff

Bonnet spoiler is fitted to all UK cars wether they be WRC's or not.

Bonnet spoiler also fitted to all WRC's including the JDM's.