www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:52 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
hey guys had my st205 for about a week now, the car is totally standard except BOV, it has standard exhaust , airbox, everything, but for a car thats apparently 250+bhp standard im not impressed, im used to imprezas and even the uk2000 with 212bhp seems quicker to me.. car is regularaly serviced and engine is sweet as a nut, only been in the uk for 2 years.... is there anything i can do to tweek it up a little, ill be getting a stainless system and k&n panel filter just shortly, but on the other hand im in 2 minds about spending money if im not going to see a return in power... ive read a few posts on here with people saying the cars are quicker than this and that, but i just dont see it, its not slow but id say an impreza , evo (1,2,3) wud eat it.... any tips apart from the obvious ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:46 pm 
WRC

Car Model: ST205
id say that the above wouldnt beat it... but then ive seen standard st205's hit less than 220bhp and they are heavy, mine was about 260-270 standard and then over 300 and stupidly fast with a few mods, smashed my friends evo5 ra or whatever the lightweight one is, and my mates evo4 and then his new evo 5 with a evo 8 engine isnt as fast... also 5 mph quicker under the dunlop straight than a 340bhp mk3 1jz supra around donington so i would say if your car seems slower than a s2000 then you either arnt driving it right, or it is lacking massively in the power department as when standard we did a day at alconbury runway and on the quarter mile mine was significantly faster than a r33 GTS-t and miles faster than a civic type r and an s2000..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:48 pm 
Club Staff

Service the car, check ignition timing, fit an exhaust and downpipe, turn up the boost, you should be around 300bhp/300lbft...

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:47 pm 
Check for error codes. Check your charge cooler fluid is swirling round when you blip the throttle with the engine running. Get a boost gauge and check what boost you are running. Check your ignition base timing. Get it on a dyno and get some power run plots so we can see what it's doing, where and when.

There is no way a normal 205 would not embarrass an evo up to 5. Having said that I have driven some that were as flat as a witches doodah even though everything seemed the check out.

Where in the country are you? Maybe a local member could cast an experienced eye over it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:07 pm 
New Poster

im just outside glasgow, btw, i said a an impreza , not an s2000.... having owned an evo 1,3 and 4 they all certainly seem quicker, ill do those checks mentioned above

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:47 pm 
Group B

From your posts elsewhere, I know you have a speed sensor problem / code 42. This reduces boost down to the lower 1st gear level in all gears as it is unable to sense gear. The difference is quite noticable in a car which has an intermittant speedo fault (dying KMh converter in my case).
Sort the speedo and you may get a pleasant surprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:39 pm 
New Poster

im trying mate, had the clocks out earlier and cant see any convertor, dont know where to start, pics would be great as a helping hand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:03 pm 
Club Staff

LOL this post takes me back!

I had almost the SAME reaction when I got my first GT4 which was the 165 model so was even LESS impressive than the 205!

In fact, I was VERY tempted to take it back and ask for my old car back as I was so underwelmed by it!

However, the secret to these cars is good air flow, get yourself an induction kit, a downpipe and an exhaust. Oh and fit a decent boost guage so you can see whats happening and I bet you'll never look back!

Having said this, BEFORE you do anything, make sure you give the car a good service and check for error codes to ensure she has a clean bill of health, there might be something untoward lurking there!

Super White JDM ST205
http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Some people are like a Slinky .. Not really good for anything, but they make you smile when you shove them down the stairs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:24 pm 
New Poster

cheers mate, done the error code search and only came up with code 42..., will give it a service next week them start the modding,, all ready spent a few quid on the trd spats and sideskirts and a few other bits and bobs, think exhaust and filter should be next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:29 pm 
Group B

Another post you may find useful, including a link to workshop manuals with circuit diagrams.

http://www.gt4dc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... de++speedo

Just found a pic of the convertor attached to mine. Ignore the yellow wire on the right of the pic, was a mod to put a fog light warning lamp onto the dash for MOT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:55 pm 
New Poster

nope i hove nothing even remotely similar, just 3 plugs goin to 3 sockets.... the mystery continues... this is doin ma head in

thanks for showing me the pic tho,, appreciated, as mentioned everything works bar the speedo clock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:18 pm 
Club Staff

God you guys are good :-) Some damn good advice and some expert cross-referencing by Chris DB.

IMHO CDB hit the nail on the head, you have to fix your error code before thinking of spending money on mods. It is likely that the error code will limit boost and hence power.

First stage mod is disable the VSV and add a boost controller so you can get full boost in 1st & 2nd.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:02 pm 
New Poster

cheers , ordered a boost controller, and a gauge last night, the code is away for now, but speedo still dead as a door knob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:39 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Another plan amongst the service and maintenance bits and bobs is to get the chargecooler off and give it a good clean out - the 'air' side with petrol and the 'water' side with increasing pressure from a hose pipe. Then lag it up to help prevent so much of the engine heat getting into it. Flush out the pre-rad aswell and refill with some new Forlife, does the world of good for your inlet temps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:44 pm 
New Poster

right, boost gauge is on,, boosting 0.5 bar in all gears.... surely not right,..... isit?