www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:01 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
I have an M Reg GT4 for sale, 55,000 miles and pretty souped up according to my ex-husband. Turbo boost, dump valve, all sorts of things.... i cant drive it, its too much of a beast for me but i have no idea how much i would be asking for it. He paid £8k for it a year and a half ago, some boy racer friends tell me its a collectors item and i should be asking for £6k at least, other people say the price should be around £3k....Any advice for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:48 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
Very much depends on the spec. of the car.
e.g. Standard or forged engine? Standard or hybrid turbo? Standard or aftermarket ECU? etc. etc.

Prices vary from 1500-2000 for a shed, 3000-3500 for a decent standard model and 4000+ depending upon options/spec.

See what you can find out about the car and post here and we'll see what we can do.
Pics of the car (external, internal and engine bay) will help as well.

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:50 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Generally the highest prices are reached for top condition, standard cars. Mods tend to reduce value as firstly, they make it difficult for maintenance unless you have all the installation information and secondly they tend to associate with cars that are driven hard and therefore likely to have high wear.
Probably the main exception would be a bona-fide proffesionally prepared competition car, although I can think of a case recently where someone has been unable to sell such a car and has ended up breaking it.
I'm not totally up to date with prices, but I would say £3K may be a reasonable starting point depending on mods and condition. Top condition standard cars are fetching about £5K but are not selling fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:54 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Hi Maroon,

Welcome to the club allbeit for what looks a brief stay

Please please don't take any offence from this post!!! It's just an honest opinion

The real price of these cars is very hard to judge. Good ones should and can be worth a fair bit. Bad ones should and sometimes are worth litte

I think the lower price is probably about right for a poor car of that age and milage with an upper limit somewhere near 4.5-5K unless it's got lots of shiney bits and serious engine upgrades

The trouble is at the low end you'll get loads of typical boy racers who don't give a hoot too much about the car as long as it's cheap. These are the chancers who'll bid you silly low numbers

The upper end of the market is generally enthusiasts such as us oiks who inhabit this place who know that a good example of what is an old old car is still worth some money.
The problem comes in that we're all quite geeky when it comes to cars. We like to know exactly what goodies are bolted on, who did it, when etc etc. I get the impression that you've come to own the car through unfortunate circumstances and don't know (or want to?) the gory details on what's fitted.
This leaves you in a tricky position with a potentially nice car that you can't really market to the potential customers who'd be prepared to part with the higher prices.

If you want to stick some pictures up here we can try and offer advice but it's blimmin difficult over the internet to judge things like that. What you really need is a friendly owner local to you who knows the ins and outs of the car and wold be willing to lend a hand with your advert. I believe we do have a couple of members up in your neck of the woods who might be willing to lend a hand but it's also worth trying some of the other clubs like the GT4OC or the GT4EC

I hope this helps a little

Steve