www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:19 pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:52 am 
Group N

Car Model: None
A mate of a mate is a CNC programmer, and has been working for a company that produces parts for the aerospace industry.

Last year he found out that he was being made redundant due to the company being bought out and then subsequently sending a lot of their programming and machining work over seas. However with his redundancy money he has decided to invest in a decent CNC mill and is renting a small unit to set up his own bespoke CNC machining service. He has identified a requirement for a small business that can quickly design and machine one-off parts to customers requirements with as little fuss and messing about as possible.

He has asked me if I know of anything that would be worth making for the GT4 so I thought I'd put a post up on here to see what sort of things people would be interested in having made?

He is capable of making most things, from simple brackets through to composite moulds etc so if there is anything you're interested in let me know and I'll go through them with him when I next see him on Monday. All he'll need is a rough idea of what you're after, ideally a 'back of a f@g packet' type sketch with dimensions on so that he can work out costings. I'm a designer by trade, so can create the models for him to programme off, and can do it for free assuming it's not a mega complex part. He is able to work with most materials, and metals like aluminumium, steel, stainless and titanium aren't a problem. He is also able to get parts shot peened/anodised/powder coated etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:55 pm 
Club Staff

I have bene looking in to this a little lately :-)

I have access to and use AutoCAD to draw stuff up in normally (mainly because it is industry standard in my field) and woudl like to know a little more info on if AutoCAD drws can be sent direct to CNC or if they then need to be programmed in?

What software is suitable for producing drawings in to cut out the *bleep* packet & you having to draw them up?

My idea is that I can get 1 item run off and test fit and then get say a batch of 10 made up with any mods required to perfect the design.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:11 pm 
Group N

Diceman wrote:
I have bene looking in to this a little lately :-)

I have access to and use AutoCAD to draw stuff up in normally (mainly because it is industry standard in my field) and woudl like to know a little more info on if AutoCAD drws can be sent direct to CNC or if they then need to be programmed in?

What software is suitable for producing drawings in to cut out the *bleep* packet & you having to draw them up?

My idea is that I can get 1 item run off and test fit and then get say a batch of 10 made up with any mods required to perfect the design.

As far as this guy is concerned then you'd be better off supplying him with a 3D model as that is what he'd be using to programme off and generate the G-code to drive the machine.

It's 10 years since I did my AutoCad R14 training and I don't remember how easy it was to create a 'true' 3D model that could be exported to another piece of software. I don't recall it being particularly easy though?

The reason I suggested basic sketches on a f@g packet etc is that a lot of people aren't able to produce a full-blown technical drawing or 3D model and would be put off at the prospect, likewise this lad isn't a designer and so will need someone (me) to turn the drawing into a 3D model that is usable for programming off. I'm also able to CNC programme so may be able to ease his workload a bit that way as well, we'll have to see how it all pans out.

The aerospace industry as a whole appears to have moved over to CATIA v5 as that is what Airbus and Boeing decided to go with.

CATIA contains a lot of internal workbenches that can fulfill pretty much all of their customers roles. We use it to do initial design scheming, then for producing the digital mock up (DMU) 'virtual aircraft'. We use the same software for producing all of the 2D drawings etc, and then once we move to production phase the same models will be used to create the CNC programmes. We also have specific workbenches for creating sheet metal parts (brackets), complex surface profiles, wiring looms, aircon ducting etc.

Certainly other software such as SolidWorks, ProE, Unigraphics etc are able to produce a 3D model of a suitable standard for programming off and still be fully parametric so editable if you need to tweak stuff at a later date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:41 pm 
Group N

Current suggestions from the OC:

ITB to head adaptor
Lightweight alternator bracket.
Alternator relocation bracket to the AC compressor location.
Wheel spacers & spigot rings.
Handlebar clamp for Hob's bike.
Improved power steering pump bracket.
Inlet and exhaust manifold flanges - ali inlet & stainless steel exhaust.
Turbo adaptor piece for CT2x to T25, possibly one for T3 and wastegate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:58 pm 
Club Staff

yep - sounds good :-)
Add to that ST185 bells to suit "off the peg" rotors and St205 calipers :-)

Maybe also look at alternative plenums for a 3SGE manifold?

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:42 pm 
Group N

Diceman wrote:
yep - sounds good :-)
Add to that ST185 bells to suit "off the peg" rotors and St205 calipers :-)

Give me some sort of workable drawing for what you want and I'll wave it in front of his nose on Monday!

Diceman wrote:

I'm just beginning the build phase for a new carbon inlet manifold, so hang fire till I get that sorted. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:04 pm 
Club Staff

Quote:
Diceman wrote:

I'm just beginning the build phase for a new carbon inlet manifold, so hang fire till I get that sorted.

will do boss - may be worth using a bolt on flange from yoru mate so it can be used with St185 and the St205 head :-)

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:32 pm 
Group N

Diceman wrote:
will do boss - may be worth using a bolt on flange from yoru mate so it can be used with St185 and the St205 head :-)

Ah bugger yeah, that's a point JP. :( The runners are sized for the 205's head/flange:

Oh well if the prototype works as well as hoped it won't be a massive problem to create a new 2-piece mold for the 185 shaped runners and get a new flange CNC'd. Is the pitching between the inlet runners the same on the 185 as the 205?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:50 pm 
Club Staff

I can't remember dan, I don't think it is far off. Port sizes are larger for teh st185 and the 2 end stud holes are in a slightly different location.

Very nice work dan - could ALMOST make me consider a ST205 head for project arsey (if it ever turns in to a project :-) )

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:11 pm 
Group N

Any other ideas guys???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:46 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
mcpherson front hubs

might be a bit of a big project :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:17 pm 
Group N

two_OH_five wrote:
mcpherson front hubs

might be a bit of a big project :lol:

You draw them up and I'll get him to quote.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:21 pm 
Group N

Well spoke to him earlier and he is busy today, I'll pop down and see him some time during the week so if there is anything else people can think of let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:21 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
does he have one of those robot arm measuring devices?

McPherson d look just like stock hube but with a bolt on flange on top instead of the single hole for a top balljoint

Failing that JPs 205 brake conversion components would allow easy fitment of a 185 hub to a 205 and achieve the same result

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:04 pm 
Group N

two_OH_five wrote:
does he have one of those robot arm measuring devices?

A CMM? No! :lol:

two_OH_five wrote:
McPherson d look just like stock hube but with a bolt on flange on top instead of the single hole for a top balljoint

What material would it have to be made from though, steel, Ti??? The price will be high due to the programming and machining difficulties of such a complex part - who would be interested in buying them?

two_OH_five wrote:
Failing that JPs 205 brake conversion components would allow easy fitment of a 185 hub to a 205 and achieve the same result

Sounds more like it.