www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 pm

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:41 am 
Group N

Car Model: None
Good morning people,

This is just a small write up on yesterdays progress and a MASSIVE thanks to Nigel, JP, Steve and Mike and to the others of assistance offered and gratefully accepted including engine mount (Chris) and other odds and sods in my quest to get the 165 running prior to sale or usage (preferably the latter)

Forcast was very grim the day before and i must admit i was on a bit of a downer on that score, but when Nigel, Steve and JP knocked on the door the sun was semi shinning and my mood had brightened
After a quick catch up and a turn of a couple of stomachs at pictures of foot damage lol (and an obligatory tour as much as i could to find and show where i thought car bits were) we decended down to the car

First things first, which was to give the keys to JP to open the drivers door where he informed me that the lock barrel was not there !! ( mood not getting better as meant that in either the previous night or the one before another attempt had been made in breaking into "Ezzy " resulting in the lock barrel no longer being there !!

I cant even see why, as there was/is nothing on show in the car but a little junk, no stereo, one boost gauge, no seat, no tools etc so i still have no idea as to what they were after... ok back to the rest of the day

After trying to remember as to where i had put the locking wheel nut tools as had moved them from car after previous break in (typically that meant another struggle upstairs ) everyone went about with relative efficiency removing drive shaft and disconnecting propshaft. The bottom half of the car i had already nearly managed to get out with only a few bits left for total removal which was completed very quickly in my eyes whilst i managed to install new fuel injector sills ( i know, i know easy job ,,, but hindered by the fact i picked a job that needed manual dexterity of which when you cant feel your fingers was a bit of a silly choice by me but hey ho lol

The next time i looked up the engine was out and the gang were nicely puzzling out splitting the gearbox and transfer box. This again was done relatively quickly with only a few hold ups and thoughts to be had and trips upstairs ( which again thanks go out to all as many times they done the stairs for me to save my legs ,,, appreciatted)

Mike had turned up by then after a different route :-) and got straight stuck in with the rest of them and started checking over a couple of bits i had not quite finished or was unsure of on the newly rebuilt engine in a friends garage... so water pump was tightened, and some investigation as to why distributer was not fitting

In the meantime JP was as happy as a sand boy in the engine compartment (with white clean t-shirt) cleaning the bay ( had had a friend start to do it the previous night but needed a little more as she was not as thourough and mini skirt was not best attire (in her eyes lol) to be bent over car ) in his own little world i think..
This resulted in a quick run out with Mike to get some engine degreaser as the gearbox, transfer box and underside of the car needed quite a bit of cleaning up ( Cheers for the lift Mike )

New engine was hoisted over to the car, and Steve set to work reconstructing the puzzle of my engine, clutch and gearbox...the rain kept threatening to come and the biggest thing to drop out of the sky was a massive loud splat of a seagull emptying the contents of its stomach over the newly cleaned engine compartment... typical... but meant i could get involved a little again lol

Time was running away fast ( and again a big thanks to JP as i heard he had had other plans later that day and stayed on reguardless !) They managed to get the clutch back on eventually and then the bast@rd gearbox and the transfer box mated up to the new engine ( only one real problem which should be no problem really in that still have not got a passenger side manifold stay as had to cut off both originally to remove head but had one spare one so that is on)

From there it was cleaning up time and someone even managed to put the old block into friends garage without me noticing.. poor ole Nigels back and knees playing up after all his continuous hard work throughout the day ( you're a star mate ) There was no time left to do anything else but to put the new engine back inside the garage for another day and i think we all were knackered ( i know i was even though i had done hardly anything but was suprised i managed to last that long downstairs and by now could really feel it and incorperated my daughter in trying to help with the tidying up of which she did and looked after me for the rest of the evening )

So that was our day... a lot of progress made, a little time to get to know a few of you a little better, and a great boost to my moral.

All this was accomplished through the kindness of people in this club who without i would of been literally stuffed with the full probability that if things dont go on the good side with my leg the car which has helped me out in many unexplainable ways would have to of been sold for scrap basically as i think on my own even with keeping foot etc i wouldnt of been able to get as far as we did yesterday in at least a year as i know the foot "hole" will take at least that to put any real pressure back on it so wouldnt of been able to do anytihng heavy or things that required bending the arch of my foot

So,,, as per title MANY MANY THANKS to all involved from Me, Millie and of course "Ezzy"... ohh and my mother who popped in also wanted to say thank you to you all of which i have now duly passed on

Was a good day,,, a tiring achy one for me but a good one

Now to post on ideas on camshaft/dizzy in appropriate section :)
Jingo ( Chris )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:02 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Chris - it was a pleasure to help out. I'd never worked on a ST165 before so it was interesting to see the differences between the cars.

Do you want me to move this thread to somewhere like one of the technical sections where all the other rebuild threads are?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:09 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Chris

You're very welcome mate

You ain't getting out of this scott free though, the drivers seat still has your name on it........
You work on getting yourself better ready to hold up your end of the deal

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:05 pm 
Group B

Quote:
After a quick catch up and a turn of a couple of stomachs at pictures of foot damage lol

Reminds me of a story my sister told me about the time she had accidentally left photo's of her husbands foot (following amputation of 2 toes) on the dashboard after a hospital visit. As she was approaching her car, she saw a traffic warden have a nosey inside the car and then turn away and nearly throw up. Revenge is sweet :lol:

Back on topic, my 185 is running again so hopefully I'll be joining in the next session. Thanks to all who helped chris with this first session.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:24 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
Glad to have been of assistance and as Steve said...
Quote:
You ain't getting out of this scott free though, the drivers seat still has your name on it........

Next session is looking likey to be Saturday 22nd May (TBC).

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:35 pm 
Club Staff

Quote:

Spot on from Steve.

It was a pleasure to be of assistance and hopefully on our return journey we can complete the task. I am happy to bring down a St185 dizzy to see if it fits next time round. I will also have a trawl around to try and locate the other inlet manifold bracket.

The pterodactyl turd dodging just provided a bit of extra entertainment.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:04 am 
Group N

Sirius wrote:
Chris - it was a pleasure to help out. I'd never worked on a ST165 before so it was interesting to see the differences between the cars.

Do you want me to move this thread to somewhere like one of the technical sections where all the other rebuild threads are?

I am glad to of been of assistance in the learning stagesof a 165... you are welcome anytime lol... literally at the moment haha

On moving post ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yes it may be of use when i add all the pics over past year and show the fun and games i have had with her and maybe let someone else make use of my mistakes and not make them themselves

Steve You made me laugh with your comment mate and i hope to do my best in fulfilling my end :)

Chris Haha... certainly is sweet..... Thanks for the engine mount, great news on your 185 and be good to see you anytime you are passing

Nigel Was good to catch up as always sir, hope your knee and back is holding up ( i have a spare stick if you need it :wink:

22nd would be great,,, just check my diary,,, ohh looks like i am in lol,,, suprise suprise haha
And thanks for arranging a lot of the assitance

JP That bloody bird definatly had a good eye and a shot in mind haha

Hopefully i will of sorted the dizzy problem by then and will still be on the look out for a manifold stay in the meantime.... will try to get that rear hose as well tomorrow or Tuesday from MrT

Whew,,, i think thats all for now.... so i bid you goodnight gentlemen with thanks yet again

Cheers Chris[/u][/b]