www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 am

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:47 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
I had a proper fight with the damn ST205 last night...I wanted to take the cc off to insulate the underneath with aluminised fabric...could I get it off could I buggery! I don't really like skin on my knuckles anyway!

I undid everything...took off the intake to ease access but I still couldn't twist it off. All was undone but the thing in the image below pointed to by a red arrow seemed to be the cause of the problem. I was considering taking it off but not being sure what it was I decided not to!
Also, the pipe pointed to by the green arrow might split with persuasion so I would prefer to do the job with a piece of samco ready...anyone know the id of this pipe. I tried to measure it but I couldn't grip the calipers in my blood soaked hands :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:16 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
The arrowed thing is the non functional antilag air diverter valve. You should be able to pull it off the chargecooler pipe if you undi the clips although as I don't have a WRC car there might be a bolt somewhere I'm not aware of

No idea what the ID of that pipe is. I'd guess 50mm but it's a complete guess. Someone might know the actual size

I got a Samco replacement from Fennies and don't think it was too pricey. Makes removal a little easier as it's more flexible than the stock black thing

edit
Samco silicon turbo to chargecooler hose, 6 quid

Not too bad a price. The problem is that finding someone to sell you 15cm lengths od hose is dashed tricky. Everyone wants to sell you a 1m lengths :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:22 pm 
Junior WRC

I normally unbolt the throttlebody rubber (4 bolts) to avoid destroying other things by violenty pulling/pushing the intercooler off/on. Once you've unbolted it you can easily pop the cooler off the turbo.

If it ain't broken.. it soon will be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:12 pm 
Group N

Thanks for the help gents...I'll let you know how I get on next time 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:31 am 
Club Staff

The chargecooler is secured to the head with 3 x 12mm headed bolts. Removing these and slackeneing off the clips to/from the turbo and the throttle body will allow the cooler to be wiggled free from the rubber hoses and lifted up.

It isn't necessary to remove the Anti-Lag valve, (from memory), but it does hamper the angle at which you can lever the chargecooler away from the head.

Quote:
No idea what the ID of that pipe is. I'd guess 50mm but it's a complete guess. Someone might know the actual size

Seem to remember the masses quoting 32mm but remember measuring this as 30mm - pipework from IC to Anti-Lag valve.

With some gentle persuasion the intercooler should come away from the turbo rubber first and then the throttle body rubber...

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:43 am 
Club Staff

Water pipes are 32mm Kris ;)