www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:19 pm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:21 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
Hello again :)

This ST205 is fighting me all the way...aaargh!

I went to replace the fuel filter this evening, and got it all ready to take off (airbox out, battery out of the way etc), got the top nut off and went to get the bottom nut off...it was so rounded from a previous attempt by some monkey that I took one look and gave up!

Put the whole lot back together again (I hate leaving a job undone when I have almost reached the end) and rang mr T...they have oprdered a new fuel pipe for me (need the pipe as the nut that attaches to the bottom of the fuel filter comes already fixed over the pipe) at a cost of £27! Sounds ok to me, as long as it is the right part!

Has anyone had to do this before? Does the fuel pipe run all the way back to the tank, or is there a joint closer to the front?

If nobody knows, I'll probably be in a position to tell ya tomorrow :wink:

Cheers

Karl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:05 pm 
Junior WRC

the pipe runs from below the fuel filter to the end of the floor pan iirc.

i've replaced loads of these pipes over the years on various models of toyota. whats needed is a 14mm brake pipe spanner, or they end up rounded like yours :(

gonna be a shite job to do on axle stands though mate!

i work at a toyota center in reading if need any help mate, bit of a treck from I.o.W though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:17 pm 
Group N

Hey thanks for the tips and the offer of help Pete. I have a pit I can use though, so hopefully it shouldn't be too painful :wink:

When you say the pipe runs to the end of the floor pan do you mean the engine end or the tank end lol?

What is the difference between a 'normal' spanner and a brake pipe spanner?

Cheers

Karl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:38 pm 
Junior WRC

can't fully remember whereabouts on ther four the pipe ends but it will be at the rear end of the car, maybe even as far as the tank!

a brake pipe spanner is an open ended spanner but it has more contacting sides than a normal open ended spanner. can't find a decent pic on google though.

i'm taking the camera to work tomorrow to take some pics of the moroso sump fitted for garyst165 i'll take a pic of a brake pipe spanner too.
halfrauds should stock one though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:51 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Top tip there with the brake spanner Pete!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:43 pm 
Junior WRC

two_OH_five wrote:
Top tip there with the brake spanner Pete!

thanks very much.

heres a pic, for future reference

nice celica in the background too :D might even be mine...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:10 pm 
Group N

Hmmm...that was a most unpleasant experience :!:

Got to the lockup today at 10 ish to do many jobs...only did one. New fuel line and fuel filter.

The fuel line goes all the way from the base of the fuel filter to just in front of the fuel tank...and is apparently supposed to come from Toyota with all of the right bends and lengths etc. The one I got this morning was very definitely not the same 'shape' as the one that came off. Getting the fuel line in wasn't as bad as I expected (still not fun but only about 30 minutes of gentle bending and cursing).

The bit of the job that took me about 3 hours was seperating the old fuel line (14mm) from the union just ahead of the fuel tank (19mm). I was going to take pictures and do a write up etc...but after realising that I had hours of swearing and struggling ahead of me that soon seemed irrelevant. Big credit to Pete...I bought a 14mm brake spanner before starting the job and I wouldn't have managed without it; and I mean that! Thanks fella :)

Got it all back together (feeling sick by now from 6 packs of hula hoops and a couple of cokes lol) and did a leak test. Hurrah...a leak from the top of the fuel filter...petrol going everywhere :(

Took the airbox off again and had a look/re-tightened things. Put the airbox back on and started the car up...still leaking! ARAS!!!!! I then did what I have only done once before in my 4 years of gt4 ownership...rang a certain 3sgte expert up north for advice. He reminded me to renew BOTH metal washers above the fuel filter (I had only found one in the fuel filter box...but had heard that there should be two); had another look in the box (no second washer) but had a look in my 'spare bits tin' and found another. Fitted the second washer, put the airbox back on AGAIN and started the beggar up. No leaks.

Just got through the shower and now for the rugby :D

Thanks again Pete...and mystery northern expert :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:51 pm 
Junior WRC

no problem karl. the trusty 14mm pipe spanner saves the day ;)

i had the tank out of my 185 today, so i had to undo that union too...mine came straight off, i was chuffed. but on the other hand could i budge the 2 rubber pipes, could i feck...pass me the side cutters..grr, lol