www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:55 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Jon - look forward to more info on the ARB setup :)

Don't know anyone who has stripped and rebuilt their gearbox, I think this out of the scope of the home enthusiast :(

I'm sure you'll have a go though! I'll be interested to hear how you get on!

Were you thinking of keeping the 185 box or moving up to the 205 box? What about the rear diff?

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:46 pm 
Club Staff

I may be wrong, but i thought the general concensus (on the other forum) was that it was just as expensive to recon a gear box as buy new???

Or maybe thats just paying someone to do it??

Super White JDM ST205

Some people are like a Slinky .. Not really good for anything, but they make you smile when you shove them down the stairs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:24 pm 
Club Staff

AFAIK Adrian has been rebuilding his boxes when they break on the strip although I suspect that this 'rebuild' may be limited to replacing broken dog rings?

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:05 pm 
Club Staff

I have attempted to rebuild a mini GB

My advice to Jo public would be........
Step away from the garage. Put the tools down and call an expert

But you might have all the tools Jon. Presses etc to get gears off of shafts

I used to use a place in Boscomb just opposite the hospital (before it moved lol) but don't know if it's still there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:35 pm 
Club Staff

Steve, I successfully rebuilt a Mini gearbox in Zambia :shock: using airmailed replacement parts marked as 'Xmas gifts' :lol: .......preload was non-existent and you needed ear defenders to protect your lugs from the classic Mini transmission 'whine'.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:17 am 
Junior WRC

Car Model: None
Lucky I can rebuild gearboxes , sorry i need to get this off my cheast.

Rebuilt the following: ford cosworth T3, MT75 4x4, bmw m3, audi Quattro 4 x4 ,m5 ,VR6's, G60's etc B&W, Zf, etc.

As for mini gearboxes, I rebuilt them for my bro when I was still at school.
NO joke, one of the simplest gearboxes on the planet to work on and repair, that’s what made the mini so great.

He ran a 1430 cc 1275 mini GT , that creamed 3.1 litre Capri’s like they were glued to the floor. In-fact it would most probably drill most gt4’s on tarmac up to 100 mph :shock:

I now Have the gearbox all cleaned ready to dismantle, 185 CS box, I know nothing more than it’s got a selector problem, well that’s what I been told ,feels like 5th and reverse, will photo the whole procedure.

Gearbox on my daily gt4 is now in urgent condition, the backlash makes driving it appalling, not what a 4 is about, so its has to be sorted ASAP.

So how much would a new gearbox cost for a 185 or 205 , I know a MT75 steel dogbox for ford cosworth 4x4 £7500 + vat new, hence why we rebuild them.

Bearings, no problem, if a bearing is manufactured, I can get it, I have some good sources, and we use quite a few bearing for stuff. Not sure on the gt4 until I have all the bearing number to hand, should not be any more than £250, that’s a guess, based on other 4 x 4 gbox’s

Rear diff well the last diff rebuild got all the bearings 4of and seals for £55 + vat 71/2” type

I have a contact who can supply re-engineered, syncro rings, hub sleeve’s , as well as selector fork’s all carbon fibre lined, they work very well, some race and rally cars use them. :wink:

Selector forks & shafts can be repaired, replace worn bushes and/ or bearing , or brass inserts, I have done so, if carbon inserts not required. i.e. road cars.

Setting up tolerance working out etc no worries, has to be done on all gearbox, otherwise they will fail, same as differentials etc either lsd, torsion, Ferguson.
Viscous couplings can be recharged, as do the ford 71/2” type requires.

I believe Toyota did not make these parts as fitted to some models, both in the gearbox and rear diff…. please quote me if I am wrong.

We have engineering table, for setting up, to measure for shimming, bearing preloads, etc.
Have v & parallel blocks for shaft wip diagnostic.

Cutter grinder for precision surface grinding, this can be used to cut spines, & gear face refurb, sometimes required when differential explode. To repair pinion and ring gears, etc.

We have most type of internal external, telescopic, drop gauge, and bore gauge, DTI for every type measurements required.

I have never to date been beaten by anything mechanical, or electronic.

Apart from the obvious parts, we can fabricate & machine pretty much every part required to build a complete and competitive car, as done so over time.

We have also rebuilt engines running upto 650 bhp, running 2.5 Bar

It’s not always a bombsite. Sometimes it looks like we know what we are doing.

Just depends whats on at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:09 pm 
Club Staff

Let us know how you get on Jon

i suspect you will get it rebuilt no problem but I suspect there may have to be an element of suck it and see in terms of what you need to source

AFAIK nobody I know has rebuilt one.
For what it's worth I have the number of the place that rebuilt mine (before my ownership) who might know what bearings,synchro rings etc. to use. Not that you'll need them I suspect :wink:

I know I couldn't. That's why I might end up giving you my whining rear diff to fix one day lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:30 pm 
Club Staff

Jon - for reference I believe a 205 box is ~£1200 new from Toyota, (minus transfer).

I think the box was gradually revised and tweeked as the models were revised and tweeked. I think the 205 box maybe the best one...for the home enthusiast.

The stock boxes seem MUCH better than some other car gearboxes, and seem to live for a long time.

iirc Adrian at Fennies is only now experiencing problems with the front box at ~650hp/tq, but mind you that's under drag loadings! I would suspect that as the gearbox oil pump isn't working when you drop the clutch and say "eat this 650hp" it's not going to do much for gearbox longevity! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:51 am 
Club Staff

Ere Jon,

Do you have a copy of the chassis repair manual?

Rmm399E (for the 205) has a complete breakdown on rebuilding the gearbox, transfer and diffs.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:13 pm 
Junior WRC

Car Model: None
Hi

Always up for tech book info stuff, especially on gearboxes, and stuff.

I have a Chilton’s, limited though, but seems like some of the info required is present.

Be interested in having a look etc, as better-prepared the easier the task.