www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:42 am

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:41 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
The untimely demise of my silver ST205 has had some benefits. It's fairly good subframes have been sandblasted and powder coated, a little frivolously admittedly :wink: and will be used to replace the ailing ones on my UK ST205.

I know they'll rarely get seen and will get dirty, but I like them :)

Ok, so showing off over with.
The underside of the car is looking in need of some attention, basically surface rust but lots of it after 12 winters. I'm intending to get the car up on some high lift axle stands and drop most of the underside off, subframes, suspension, arbs, brake and fuel lines, exhaust, prop shaft, drive shafts, diff and probably the fuel tank.
Now while I'm reasonably happy with this side of things, I've never dealt with cleaning up and treating a chassis before. Basically my intention is to remove any rust, and paint and underseal everything so that it's safe and pristine for years to come. Has anyone any experience with this sort of thing and can suggest best ways to attack the cleanup job and rust removal etc Like I say, this is a new one to me and any help and advice would be very welcome.
Many thanks
Chris :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:34 am 
Junior WRC

Car Model: None
Looking very ST205 mate! :lol:

I'm planning to do the same thing so I'm interested as well.. 8)

If it ain't broken.. it soon will be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:46 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Hi Chris, looks like an awesome job on the subframes :) The shell of my UK ST205 will be heading north at the weekend for final stripping and prep. Although the rust appears to be mainly cosmetic it will need to be 'sandblasted' to get back to the clean metal. The ST205 was galvanised so they have survived fairly well unlike the ST165's and Mk1 MR2's :cry:

I found the original bolts holding the fuel tank and the drive shaft flanges were completely seized up with rust so I decided to leave them for professional removal as they would have more tools to do the job e.g. angle grinders, gas axe etc. :twisted:

I'm not sure if you were intending to do all the work yourself or get the pros to do it. With my shell I'm not sure exactly how far to go but I suspect to get the kind of finish I want it will at the very least be a bare metal respray for the exterior. I have to fill in the sunroof panel and then there's the roll cage and seat mount cross-members which will need to be sprayed so I can see the interior having to be painted as well.

I'll put up pics of my shell prep as it progresses and it would be great if you could keep us posted on your progress as well.

Cheers

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp