www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 am

Post subject: Lambda Sensor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:52 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
I have had an niggle that the lambda sensor is dying on the 205 for some time now. The car has never managed to return the same sort of ecconomy as the CS did, and given they were both running the same boost and doing the same sort of driving, this doesnt make sense as the 205 has a better head design and should give at least a modicum better fuel ecconomy as a result.

I contacted the guys at www.just lambda.co.uk about a replacement sensor and the reply has my stumped:

--------------------------------------------------
Hi

If you can find a part number stamped on the old one I may be able to cross ref it. Should be a 10 digit number, probably starting 89465

Also if you can let me know the number of wires, if screw in or flange mounted. If a 4 wire sensor then the resistance of the heater circuit (2 black wires.)

If you can get all the above info I should be able to help. Sorry for so many questions but Toyota sensors are awkward.

Regards
Graham
--------------------------------------------------

The sensor has no code or designation number I can see. I believe it is a flange mounted unit?

I'm currently looking through the troubleshooting section of the engine manual and when it stops raining I'll go have a prod with the multimeter and get the resistance of the heater circuit although is this going to be of much use given the sensor is possibly on its way out anyway?

Does anyone have a reference number or even an oem toyota part number I could give them to cross reference?

I am assuming that Bosch sensors are high quality, has anyone ever heard of Tomco, their other supplier? I dont want to buy a sensor to only have to replace it again 6 months down the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:56 pm 
Clubman

Part number is: 89465-29735

HTH

My GT Four History:
Black 1992 JDM ST185 GT-Four, Grey 1990 UK ST185 GT-Four

My celica website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:01 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
emicen - for info I replaced the lambda sensor on my 205 about a year ago.

Got one from sap - cheap! So far it has performed well, (no noticeable drop in fuel economy), but I haven't had the wideband meter on it to assess exactly how good it has been!

The 205 uses a 4 wire sensor. 2 wires for the heater circuit and 2 for the sensor itself.

The lambda sensor from sap comes as a screw in type M18x1.5 I think? but comes with the flange in order to bolt onto the cat, (or downpipe).

The sensor came without the plug for the loom but does come with 4 crimps and some heatshrink to cut off the old sensor plug and put this onto the new sensor - a bit rubbish imho, but it does work

HTH

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:17 pm 
Group N

Kris wrote:
emicen - for info I replaced the lambda sensor on my 205 about a year ago.

Got one from sap - cheap! So far it has performed well, (no noticeable drop in fuel economy), but I haven't had the wideband meter on it to assess exactly how good it has been!

The 205 uses a 4 wire sensor. 2 wires for the heater circuit and 2 for the sensor itself.

The lambda sensor from sap comes as a screw in type M18x1.5 I think? but comes with the flange in order to bolt onto the cat, (or downpipe).

The sensor came without the plug for the loom but does come with 4 crimps and some heatshrink to cut off the old sensor plug and put this onto the new sensor - a bit rubbish imho, but it does work

HTH

Cheers Kris and Greg. Got the part number for one from SAP off a geezer on the oh cee site so I'll give that a bash. ~£35 for an SAP one vs £200 for a Toyota one :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:01 pm 
Club Staff

I bought a Lucas universal 4-wire zirconia lambda sensor and the adaptor about 12 months ago and still working fine. with O2 feedback switched on I get circa 14.7:1 AFR so appears to be working correctly.

I think the part numbers are

Lucas SEB225 adaptor
Lucas SEB124 Universal 4-wire zirconia lambda.

I could be wrong as is from mammory

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:05 pm 
Club Staff

Those part no's ring a bell with me JP

Got my Lucas one from Camberly AutoFactors when the first SAP one died after about 6 weeks :(

Lucas is still going strong though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:23 pm 
Group N

Any idea how much the Lucas one cost? It appears to be luck of the draw with the SAP one.

I dont know how accurate it is, but the A/F display output on my Apexi multi-timer shows the ratio oscillates anywhere between 13 and 15 at idle. I believe it sits at roughly 14.4-14.7 when driving steady, but the permanent oscillating at idle bothers me as the timer is seeing a fluctation in signal, and regardless of the accuracy of exact figures, its still not steady.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:58 pm 
Club Staff

Lucas one cost me 60 snots ish

I thought the SAP failure was just a one off but now I see Jeff's has failed too!

However, I believe the idle thing is supposed to fluctuate. It's something to do with the cat. It fires a little extra fuel in then runs it a little lean to create high temps to burn crap outta the cat. Or something like that. Definitely read something about it somewhere

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:58 pm 
Group N

Are these any good to anyone ????

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merch ... y_Code=SNS

Hutch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:18 pm 
Club Staff

Hatch - that's a five wire for a wideband setup...would be good for a Honda, Landrover etc :D

For a 205 a 4 wire lambda sensor is required

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:51 am 
New Poster

If you have no CAT, should you still have the Lambda sensor screwed in, or leave it out?

And if it should be it can you get a heated sensor to work on the ST185?
I take it they heat up to give you a correct reading from cold?

Tanks
Bren

Its pretty standard really:
- KYB Shocks
- Tien Springs
- TRD Tops mounts
- Audi S3 wheels lol
- 1bar (Heat shield under and round the CC)
- HKS Panel filter
- And not quite fitted the downpipe yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:15 am 
Club Staff

GT4-Bling wrote:
If you have no CAT, should you still have the Lambda sensor screwed in, or leave it out?

The lambda sensor should be left in.

This provides a signal to the ECU to aid fuelling at steady rpm, and will help to increase your mpg :)

Quote:
can you get a heated sensor to work on the ST185?

From what I have seen the 185's seem to come with a couple of different setups regarding lambda sensors. I'm pretty sure I have seen 1, 2 and 4 wire configurations.

I would replace the sensor with an identical wire pattern. If the loom is not wired to accept the addidtional lambda sensor wires then it would be useless anyhow.

I believe that the addition of a heater circuit within the lambda sensor reduces the amount of time in which the lambda sensor takes to begin to read accurately.

Quote:
I take it they heat up to give you a correct reading from cold?

On inital start up when the engine coolant is cold the input from the lambda sensor is ignored. Only once the coolant is past temp 'x' (probably around 80deg C imho), will the input from the lambda sensor be utilised to aid the fuelling

HTH :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:23 pm 
Group N

Bobbito off the oh cee site had an RC and when I first asked the question mentioned his RC had a 1 wire sensor. As far as I can tell, RC's and Jap spec cars had 1 wire sensors, UK and european spec cars had 4 wire sensors.

Certainly my CS has a 4 wire sensor and it plugs in to the standard loom plug.

ST205 sensors are all 4 wire.

www.mcnab-racing.co.uk