www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:00 pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:46 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: ST205
Hello,

As some of you may have seen on the "other" forum.

My ST205 has developed a howling noise.

It started on Saturday morning, I started her up and she wouldn't boost up past 0.13 bar and howls like a bloody werewolf, I floored it and it stopped howling and started boosting normally and stayed like that all day with numerous switch offs and start ups.

Sunday came along and I started the car and got the same again except it wont cure itself any more.

The Blitz is saying that the boost is not getting any higher than 0.13 bar and as the revs rise (slowly) the noise fluctuates, I have taken the intake off and the turbo spins round alright and the shaft does not have any play in it, the DV & WG seem to be working fine and it sounds like the noise could be coming from the drivers side of the engine bay.

Could someone please givew me an idiots guide as to what I should be looking for and which pipes I should check as my knowledge of mechanics is very limited and I dont really know the difference to look at between turbo and radiator hoses.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thank You

Nathan

Last edited by nathanl on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:46 pm 
Club Staff

Nathan - hopefully this is just "simply" a split hose or one that hasn't been done up? Have you done any work on the car recently?

The first hoses I would check would be the turbo to intercooler hose, and then the intercooler to the throttle body rubber. It isn't unknown for the jubilee clips to be overlooked if you've had some work done?

If not the hoses then I would inspect the turbo compressor blades for possible fouling on the intake housing - bad news and expensive, but hopefully it's not that!

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:56 pm 
Clubman

Thanks for the reply.

the only work that has been done on it was tightening the Blitz DV about 2 weeks ago, the strange thing is that it cured itself for a day and was boosting up normally which is why I had hoped it wasn't the turbo and also the fact that it was fine before I switched it off on Friday and then as soon as I start it on Saturday the problem appears.

I was able to spin the blades on the induction side by hand with very little resistance and the shaft did not wobble. The noise definately sounds like it's coming from the drivers side of the bay as opposed to the induction kit side, it is a WRC if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:17 pm 
Club Staff

This is going to sound a bit daft but

Get a length of hosepipe and two smallish funnels

stick a funnel in each end of the hose and run the hose from the cabin into the engine bay. You can then move the engine bay end of the hose around to pinpoint where the noise is coming from

Alternatively Diceman might lend you the detbuster3000 kit he has. Would be ideal for this type of thing

When you checked the turbo for play did you check in and out or just up and down?

Other hoses - as suggested, turbo -> CC hose and (one I fell foul of myself :( ) throttlebody

Also the dumpvalve hose

In fact it might be worth disconnecting the antilag contraption from the c/cooler and temporarily blocking that c/cooler outlet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:55 pm 
Club Staff

Have you thought of checking the belts for play?

They can occasionally howl and/or screetch? Tho this is usally after a new belt has stretched :?

Super White JDM ST205

Some people are like a Slinky .. Not really good for anything, but they make you smile when you shove them down the stairs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:16 pm 
Clubman

Many thanks for all the replies, I am getting it looked at this weekend so hopefully it will be sorted, I will let you know.

Thanks Again

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:42 pm 
Junior WRC

Car Model: None
i had a similar problem after fitting my DV, on boost it howled between the gasket as the two surfaces were not straight.

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, and the earth brought forth grass and the Rastafarians smoked it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:36 am 
Clubman

Well, it was looked at and no conclusive problem was found although it is definately something to do with the exhaust side of the turbo, possibly the wastegate or even propellor :(

It is not holding any boost at all now and is making a bit of a rattling noise rather than howling now so whatever was dodgy is now fubar'd.

The only thing for me to do now is to take the turbo off and have a look, I am a novice so is there anything I need to bear in mind when taking it apart other than I will probably have less skin on my knuckles than at the moment. Also as it will probably bee off the road for a couple of months when I do it, are there any other things that might be worth doing at the same time (not hugely expensive things as I am skint).

Many Thanks

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:04 pm 
Club Staff

Sorry to hear this Nathan

Sounds to me like either shaft or thrust bearing failure let the turbine hit the housing :(

It's not a hard job to replace the tubby in theory but if the bolts put up a fight then it can be frustrating

Other things to do at the same time?

Well, if the rad is grey/brown then change it - needs to come out for an easy tubby swap
Downpipe if you don't already have one
Clean and lag c/cooler
Polish/paint/chrome tubby heatshield - painting with VHT should cost about a fiver lol

Stew Booton has a turbo swap how to on his site AFAIR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:11 pm 
Club Staff

Also sounds like this could be a knackered wastegate. Is the actuator firmly attached to the wastegate?

Removing the exhaust side should help in diagnosing the fault...and if you haven't yet, it would be a cracking to to fit a downpipe ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:38 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: None
Nathan - First thing to do would be to remove your stock cat/elbow from teh exhaust side of teh turbo, this will give you a good view of the wastegate and turbine (exhaust side propellor :-)

I believe your turbo is a standard Ct20b? I suspect you are running high boost also? There is a strong possibility from your descriptionb that the turbine wheel blades have shattered or are damaged.

I will be finishing my turbo swap write up as an article to go on this site soon.

As has been said - once you remove the cat and elbow - you will not want to re-fit it - get a Downpipe m8.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:30 pm 
Clubman

Thanks for the advice,

I do in fact have a DP that has been waiting about 6 months to go on there so I thought of doing it at the same time, I am quite shocked at myself, there are no jobs listed that I hadn't thought of :)

I was actually going for quite a while on a dual carriageway ( whoops I mean track) against an M3 the night before it went :( only pushing 1.11ish bar though, I am a born optomist but I too think the tubby is knackered :(

I will let you know how it goes although it may take a while as I am a novice and wimp when it comes to cold weather and smashed up knuckles.

A bit of aan off shoot but does anyone have a cheap (£200) runaround for sale local to Slough? Cash waiting.

Thanks Again

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:42 am 
Clubman

Turns out that the shaft has snapped, causing a couple of the exhaust blades to shear, I am told there is not really anything I could have done to avoid this, what's the general concencus (?sp?) on here? Can I post pics on here at all?

Thanks

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:21 pm 
Club Staff

Sorry to hear this Nathan

As said elsewhere there isn't anything you can realisticly do to snap the shaft per se

Failure will, as already mentioned, be down to slow fatigue of the shaft caused (most likely) by an imbalance in the assembley

Although, I would possibly suspect that the thrust bearing failed allowing the turbine to contact the housing. This would have caused the howling noises you had prior to complete failure. Once this happened the turbine would have been way out of balance exerting massive loading on the shaft when spinning at high velocity and causing the eventual total fail

Not really anything you could have done about this. It's just one of those things. Turbos do wear out. In fact Mr T service schedules call for a complete turbo overhaul at 90k miles.
Start winding up the boost and this figure will reduce..........

The only thing you could have done to speed up failure was infrequent oil changes at the reduced oil performance will allow for increased shaft/thrust bearing wear.
Presuming this is not the case then you just need to lash out for a new turbo and enjoy it for another load of miles.....

BTW, there are other options over and above the Fensport ones. Turbo Technics have a very nice hybrid that JP (Diceman) is pretty impressed with AFAIK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:56 pm 
Club Staff

Nathan,

In answer to your question about posting photo's, as long as you link to them from another site, it is very possible :D

I think there is (or soon will be) a guide for posting pictures on the GT4DC website, but failing that the thread linked below also has instructions in about the 4th post down from the start of the thread.

http://gt4dc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php? ... t=pictures

HTH

Super White JDM ST205

Some people are like a Slinky .. Not really good for anything, but they make you smile when you shove them down the stairs!