www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:43 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:10 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
oh yeah. is there any gasketts or seals that would need replacing. i have been told i have a rear diff leak. could this ONLY be from the f and d points. or do i possibly have problemos.

sorry not hijacking. should i have posted my own thread????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:58 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Krude - lol! That spark plug has been making an appearance for some time now, it's like an old friend! I use it to illustrate sizing as most people are familiar with the size of a spark plug...

I don't see much mileage in drain, fill then drain the rear diff. I would just drain and fill it up.

Mahneder - no probs this is still on topic and helpful stuff!

If you have a leak from the rear diff then this is not easy to cure and is going to involve expense and some swearing to fix...(apologies for the bad news!)

The most likely points that leak would be the 2 drive shaft seals and the input to the diff i.e. propshaft connection.

Mind you a small amount of spilt oil over the casing when draining/filling seems to spread very well and might look like a leak?

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:33 am 
Group N

Ok more questions.

I am looking to put DOT 5.1 in, not sure what the existing fluid is tho (Hope its not DOT 5!!).

Do the clutch & brakes use the same fluid/system?? If so how do I bleed the clutch system to stop contamination (Not having done a clutch system before I am unsure).
Also I have looked around (even on Kris’s site) but cant find out how much fluid the system should use I am thinking around 1.5 litres & to buy 2.5/3 litres to include enough for flushing.

What are your thoughts/experiences??

Many thanks

ST205 WRC #0002249

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:04 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Quote:
Do the clutch & brakes use the same fluid/system??

No. The 2 sysetms are seperate.

iirc Toyota recommend a dot 4 on the brakes and Dot 3 for clutch, (ST205). I've used Dot 4 for both and see no reason why not to.

Have you considered a high spec Dot 4 Daz? iirc some of the Dot 4 fluids are better than some of the Dot 5?

Simon or Guy from www.opieoils.co.uk can help. Think they stock some high spec Dot 4 stuff. Think they mentioned they supply the same stuff as used by the Imperza rally boys? Motul iirc?

Quote:
If so how do I bleed the clutch system to stop contamination

In the same manner as for brakes. Providing the system is already up and running I'd connect up the collect pot for the fluid to the slave cylinder, crack open the bleed nipple and bleed in the same manner as the brakes. I found the clutch system uses surprisingly little fluid, almost unbelievably so! I'd guess and say 1/4 litre?

For the brake system on the 205 I'd buy 3 litres and use 2.5 litres flushing and bleeding it. Seems to work for me.

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:01 pm 
Group N

Kris to my rescue again, cheers m8ty :D :D

I have heard there are some good DOT 4 products out there but have never tried them, I've always reached for the Dolby...
(5.1 :roll: :lol: )

Looking to fit my speed bleeders this weekend so I am not too fussed as to what to put in this time but will be looking for a final solution come braided lines time.

ST205 WRC #0002249