www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:15 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:50 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
The flywheel looks in fairly good shape certainly wouldn’t of said its done 140K but looking at the clutch that’s a different matter I would have been dropping the gear box anyway looking at it. I don’t plan on doing any track days or competitions so might just leave the flywheel as it is, not sure if anyone has any prices on lightening the standard one maybe go for a compromise, depends on the price?
I’ve had a quick look at my crank and that looks ok visually but will measure it all up just to confirm the bearing sizes as its unclear what number the crank is, I think is a crank number one but again will need to measure up to confirm.
The new block has the same size mains seats and caps across the block so hopefully that will make things a bit easier, then its just a matter of measuring up for the big ends. D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:27 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
the crank journals are individually sized. Stamped on the balance weight iirc (have a look at my caldina rebuild thread) Memory is a little vague but i think you add the main bearing stamp to the crank stamp to get the required size. Possibly there's a division by the day of the week involved.......or was that big ends :lol:

It's all in th bgb but takes a couple of reads before the lights come on (for me at least)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:32 pm 
Group N

The block has the 5 main journal number stamped on the bottom at the flywheel end. As for the crank the number should be stamped on the corners of the webs, however I have nothing where the numbers should be but I do have a number 1 casted in to the side of one of the webs. Also on the end of the third web that is machined it has the numbers 01000 stamped into it. I know you have to add the crank number and the numbers on the block to get the bearing size but it’s the crankshaft number or numbers I’m unsure about due to its location. D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:27 am 
Club Staff

Like this stamping on my crank?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:18 am 
Group N

Yep just like the stamp on your crank! I’m assuming that these numbers are the crankshaft journal numbers? D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:06 am 
Club Staff

yeah that's them.

from memory left to right on the numbers is nose (crank pulley) to tail (flywheel) on the crank but do check with the bgb!. Also worth cross checking with the old shells as they come out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:15 pm 
Group N

Cheers steve will be doing that this afternoon. Dorris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:07 pm 
Club Staff

:oops:

I just realised that my original words are probably why you were looking for individual marks on each balance weight. Sorry for any confuddlement that may have caused :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:10 pm 
Group N

Just a couple of pictures of the cracks I’ve found, the smaller one is on journal number two and the bigger is on journal number three.

The replacement crank turned up this week and is in a much better condition then my original even without the crack so it was off to Toyota today to order the main bearings, how little did the parts guy know about bearing sizes or GT4s come to that. Did you know that the CS runs bigger brakes and a different shaped brake pad then the other GT4s? Nor did I! :lol:
Mind you he got the last laugh when he gave me the invoice for the main bearings and thrust washers :shock:
Will be interesting to see how much the big end bearings have gone up since the last time I bought a set 4 years ago but that will be for another weekend after I’ve sized up the new journals with the eagle rods. Dorris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:54 pm 
Club Staff

Cracked crank big ends? Not heard of this before... just another example of how "special" you are Dorris! :P :D

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:48 am 
Group N

Cheers Kris, Vicky often says I’m special needs lol.
Got the new main bearing though unfortunately I had to take a trip back to Toyota as one half of a thrust washer was missing, not filled with a lot of confidence when the store man asked over the phone “How many you supposed to have?” What happened to the guy in overalls who knew more then the customer? Now it seems to be a number crunching yuppie in a suit. Once I’ve sorted the big end bearings hopefully that should be it from Toyota. Laters taters, Dorris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:16 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Kris wrote:
Cracked crank big ends? Not heard of this before... just another example of how "special" you are Dorris! :P :D

I was just thinking the same thing. I thought the gt4 cranks were built like brick outhouses.

I did snap a ford 1600 xflow crank once though. I think it didn't like regular excursions beyond 8000 RPM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 pm 
Group N

I was the same Nibbles I have never heard of any 3sgte crank problems, I’m still trying to figure out the dynamics on why it’s decided to crack across where it has. D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:10 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: None
What were your big end bearings like Dorris?
Maybe this was heat fatigue from lack or lubrication caused this and has been a previous issue or since latest rebuild?

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:26 pm 
Group N

The bearings are in good condition however number three is showing signs of failure again but I put this down to the ring land failure, however number three failed last time and its number three that has the biggest crack. Where the crack is located there would have been no way of seeing it if it was there last time when I replaced the big end bearings in situ. There is a very strong possibility that heat might be the causing factor of the cracks as it all stemmed from when the HG failed and looking at the nature of the cracks heat would make more sense the fatigue. Dorris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next