www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:46 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:27 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: None
Hmmm,
The plot thickens.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:45 pm 
New Poster

You will have him worried now!! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:21 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
The new block is identical to my original CS block except for the dipstick tube. The New block came off an MR2 Turbo, which I believe is a Rev2 3sgte so this might be the reason the dipstick tube is different.
Looking at the pictures I can now confidently say that it is not a Rev3 block and to be blatantly honest I had no idea the two where so different. We are both off to do some bike racing at Anglesey this weekend so will give you all an up date on the head fitment next week. TTFN Dorris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:25 am 
Group N

Just some pictures of the block for anyone to compare, the dipstick tube turned up this morning, just need to check the lengths before fitting it, Dorris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:16 pm 
Group N

It has been a bit quiet from me for a while but I did manage to get a little more done before we got into the race season and as that is now in full swing and turning into a bit of a success story which I didn’t barging on, that is now having to take up most of my time making it hard to find time at the moment to get on with the project.
The engine is now all bolted up to the transmission, head is on with a metal head gasket, cams are in and timed, the dreaded cam cover is on and sealed, the 9 bolt manifold is on along with the CT26.
Now we have a long weekend and are not away wining races thought it time to do a bit more. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I should have the inlet manifold cleaned and on along with the throttle body and maybe the charge cooler.
One problem I do know I have is the alternator, my original I think has a diode pack gone and I get a light come on around 4,000 rpm and go out a but further up the rev counter.
I was just wondering what the differences are between the 185 and 205 alternators, I know the 182 alternators will fit but I believe they put out lower amps so basically I’m on the look out for an alternator if anyone has any advice. Cheers all Dorris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:13 pm 
Group N

I bet most of you had forgotten about this thread and to be honest if I had left it any longer I think I probably would of as well.

The build is still going well with a few little unforeseen problems like going to fit the alternator bracket only to find the new 9-stud manifold interfering with the installation. This was a fairly easy fix by just measuring the height of the stud and nut and cutting the appropriate material away from the bracket, being cast it cut and cleaned up easily and neatly.

The other issue was one of the mounts on the underside engine mount cross member.
With this I was lucky, despite the previous owners bodge it attitude and that they had tried to force the wrong pitch bolt into the captive nut they had inadvertently broke the nut off inside the chassis way before the bolt had screwed home.
To originally get the cross member off I had to cut the head off the bolt but I was lucky to have enough of the remaining bolt left to thread up and make it into a stud but first I had to tack weld the remains of the bolt to the floor pan to stop it rotating.
Still on the subject of cross member mounts, all the original bushes fore and aft where well butchered so had to clean and tidy them up and make 4 new bush inner as 3 where missing and 1 was made from a bit of plastic tubing.
Hear you can see the rear mount with the nut and stud repair.

Next on the list was fitting the front anti roll bar with its polly bushes this was easy and straightforward, again the bar was cleaned and painted by the boss lady before fitting.

Before we moved the engine into place for lifting I took the liberty of making up a small trolley with 4 caster wheels to help move it from the garage to under the car and so glad I did as it made life so much easier then the struggle we had getting it out.
With the engine and gearbox under the car I fitted the inlet manifold to make life easy for my self for later on.
Hear you can see the complete assembly ready to be stropped and lifted into place
I’m hoping that building up the majority of the engine before fitting will help improve reliability and make life a bit easier with the build, especially regarding the fitting of the inlet manifold, support brackets and everything else down the back of the engine.
Next was just a case of getting the ropes around the assembly without them snagging or breaking anything as we lift it.
Just like dropping the assembly out it was perfectly balanced along the length of the crank and gearbox, which made it real easy to rock and move into the mounts. Lucky it went in without too much effort, which was nice!
Once the left and right mounts where on it was just a matter of putting on the underside cross member and bottom engine mounts, again with all the bushes sorted this was a fairly straight forward job and for the first time in almost exactly 12 months my CS now has an engine again.

Hear are some pics of what I took out and what I put back in.

Before!

After!

Dorris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:54 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Very pretty Dorris! :P

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:38 am 
Club Staff

Nice work, hopefully back on the road soon! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:16 am 
Club Staff

Great attention to detail, the engine should thank you for all this TLC :lol:

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:36 am 
Group N

A little productive day and yet another set back, was going to refit the prop shaft today however when I dug it out of its hibernation I was greeted by a notchy universal join so that will have to be addressed at a later date and if it is like any of the others i’ve done in the past I’m not expecting it to be a straight forward job.

On a good note i’ve fixed the studs in the catalytic converter or should I say the lack of studs. When I got the car it had one stud and one bolt holding on what was a very bodged and poorly welded up exhaust, but as I changed the system and de-catted it, the cat sat in a box in the corner of the garage.
As its my intention to initially run a standard set up until everything is run in and I’m happy with it the cat needed sorting.
As you can see i’ve already cut and addressed the broken stud so it was just a matter of drilling, tapping the holes and making up two new studs. Next will be to sort the heat shield around the cat and find some new nuts to mount it to the turbo. Dorris

The cat.

Broken stud dresses and center punched ready for drilling.

Both holes tapped to 10mm.

Two new studs made up and fitted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:02 pm 
Club Staff

Common for the cat studs to shear off. Neat repair job Dorris :)

Did you attempt to use a screw extractor to pull the remains of the broken stud out or did you just drill the stud out and re-cut the thread? I've never had much success with screw extractors :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:55 pm 
Group N

My first reaction to you question would be "Don’t even go there!" lol
I had one of them days where everything I touched I broke and yep the easy out snapped. What a mare it was to get the remains out but I got there in the end, it was one of those moments where you know its wrong and not a good idea but you have a blonde moment and go a head with it anyway lol.
Now the engine and gear box is in I have so much to do I’m not sure where to start, may have to make a plan, TTFN Dorris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:49 pm 
Group B

I've never yet had success with an 'easy out' though I gave up trying looong ago as getting one of those things out is 10 times harder than the original stud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:25 pm 
Club Staff

I'm glad I'm not the only guy who's had problems using these things!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 am 
Group N

A little bit more work done and yet more issues.
On a good note I finished the Cat off this was just a matter of fitting the heat shield, again like everything else only a couple of bolts holding it on so that got sorted along with polishing the heat shields them selves just to tidy and bling them up a bit.

The next issue I needed to sort was the old dipstick issue.
I managed to find a dipstick and tube on Ebay that fitted the new block and if I remember right it was off a Gen 6 GT. I had to increasing the bottom bend in the tube slightly to clear the oil return pipe from the turbo then it was a matter of fitting the Cat, checking the clearance and then finding some way of securing it.
As it turned out this was a fairly easy solution as the tube already had an L shaped bracket attached to the top so it was just a matter of making a small bracket to connect it to one of the lambda sensor studs.

This actually turns out to be a vast improvement on the original 185 design with the dipstick buried down by the hot turbo, the only other issue I have is obviously the levels on the stick but my plan with this will be to get the car dead level, put the exact amount of oil in the engine and then check and re-mark the stick if necessary.

Now the bad part, a slight oil leak out of the oil level switch on the side of the sum, so it was a matter of oil out, switch off and have a look. Turned out to be from what I can see, some distortion in the side of the pan which is leaking past the O-ring inside the switch, however the O ring has seen better days but due to fading light I decided it can wait until another day. I’m hoping it will just be a matter of a new O-ring and some sealant.
Stay tuned for more adventures Dorris

Last edited by Dorris on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next