www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:37 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:19 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Went to look at the CS yesterday, the first time I've seen it since the new year and although it's condition now is a bit of a set back I'm actually pleased and relieved at the condition it is in, I was expecting it to be much worse.
The rust around the tailgate has gotten worse but my intentions was to completely replace it anyway. The biggest set back is the condition of the engine, all the aluminium has really fured up and lots of the nuts and bolts have really rusted. I'm not overly worried as the engine needs to be pulled down a bit to sort the running issues so it will be a matter of just systematically going through cleaning everything again.
Despite the tail gate I'm really pleased at the condition of the body work and the inside is in better condition then I remembered it too so all in all happy and relieved at the condition it's still in, especially after being sat on my mates driveway for 10 months, a credit to Halford car covers I think and probably lucky we had such a good long summer aswell.
The plan now is to get the CS moved from Kent to my soon to be new workshop in South Wales and finally get the car finished and back on the road again.
It's been 2 years since I did any major work on it and not seen it since January so now got an abundance of enthusiasm to get it finished so a new start all round for both me and the CS. Stand by to hear more, Dorris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:39 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
It's a 185 so every time it hasn't turned to brown dust when you return is a case for rejoicing, even if you only went in the shop for 2 minutes :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:45 am 
Club Staff

A can of WD40 liberally applied in the engine bay will help although if the car is not running then it will deteriorate unless you have a snug dry workshop to store it over the winter. I wish I had one of those!

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:13 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
two_OH_five wrote:
It's a 185 so every time it hasn't turned to brown dust when you return is a case for rejoicing, even if you only went in the shop for 2 minutes :lol:

You're mistaking it for a 165. Apart from the sunroof / sill issue the 185's seem to have fared quite well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:15 am 
Club Staff

Yep, JP's 185 garden ornament / gate guardian is surviving remarkably well......(ducks :twisted: :lol:)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:44 am 
Club Staff

IT has ducks in it now???? :lol:

At least someone is using it QUACK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:56 pm 
Group N

Some photos after its been sat out side under a cover for the last 10 month, not as bad as I expected. Dorris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:03 am 
Club Staff

Looks like the car cover has done its job pretty well :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:16 am 
Group N

TrackToyFour wrote:
Looks like the car cover has done its job pretty well :)

I was recommended the Halfords car cover and its held up well but I think having a good long dry summer helped too. D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:59 am 
Group N

Hello everyone, its back! How many years? too many!

Brief recap, due to non car related circumstances I've been doing a lot of relocating over the last 2 years and for the last 12 months the car has been sat on a friends driveway under cover, only saving grace was that we had a fine summer in 2014, however from Nov when we last saw the car until now the wet weather has gotten hold of it and caused a bit of deterioration but nothing that cant be turned around, mainly to bare metal engine parts more then anything else.

After a 13 hour round trip the car is now at its new home and workshop where it is about to be thoroughly spoilt, god knows I owe it after the last 2 years of neglect :(

2771 looking a bit sorry for its self in the sleet and cold about to be loaded on the trailer. Unfortunately the under side took a scrape as we pulled it off the drive as we couldn't inflate one of the tyres.

Ton and a half of car on a trailer at 50mph makes for a very long day!

Finally 2771 in its new home!

First thing now is to tackle the damage that has been caused over the last couple of years and to stop the car deteriorating but not after a nice long hot jet wash and a dry out over the weekend, amazing how better things look after a good wash.

Few little issues to immediately tackle, drives door lock seized and cured by a squirt of penetrating oil and near side front tyre wouldn't hold air, this was down to corrosion in the bead of the tyre where had been sat deflated for so long and a small nail which had caused it to go down in the first place, so now at least we can push it around until I can get it moving under its own steam, which leads me on.

Since the engine rebuild it has always over fuelled and been difficult to run, Chris kindly fixed the ECU which was showing signs of failing but this did'nt cure the problem so I'm now convinced its an issue with the EFI coolant sensor or more the small bit of loom that goes to the coolant manifold. As you can see below it is well past its sell by date and the repair I tried to the connector to the EFI sensor as that totally broke up but to be fair the wiring in the loom is very brittle so ideally a new or replacement loom is in order.

Anyone got a better one of these or know where I can get one? Also going to play safe and buy a brand new sensor too.

This afternoon the clutch will get looked at to see if we can get that working properly and the body work will get a clean and polish to keep on top of that. I'll also have a look at the underside to see what damage was done in the move and the condition of the sills before I go ramping it up on the wheel free lift. Mrs Dorris will be tackling the corroded engine parts to bring them back up to standard and making everything looking nice and tidy again.

Its nice to be back stay tuned for more, Dorris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:10 pm 
Club Staff

Welcome back Dorris!

Love the aircraft hanger workshop. Moving has it's compensations :D

I'm sure others more experienced in the ways of the 185 will be along shortly to offer advice on the wiring issues.

Keep us posted on your progress. The key will be to get it back on the road and actually start using it, even if it's only the odd weekend. That way it won't deteriorate as much. Unless of course you have nice warm dehumidified storage in your hanger.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:36 pm 
Club Staff

Good to see some progress :)

Whereabouts are you based now? Where is the car? :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:48 pm 
Group N

To answer your question Don it is a lovely heated workshop and exactly what the car needs and we are over at St Athan South Wales now Mike. The plan is to have it finished and on the road by summer time. Dorris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:57 pm 
Club Staff

Sounds like luxury! Pampered 4's R Us :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:37 pm 
Group N

Thought it was time for a bit of an up date, since the car has been at its new home for a little while and it has been getting some sort of attention most weekends.
The first move was to get the car up on the ramp and had a good look at the underside, the scrapes from the move will not cause any problems but taking the decision to wax oil the underside 5 years ago was in my view a bloody good move.

Damage from the move, exhaust took a bit of a scrape too.

The sills are in better condition then I remember but will need some professional attention which I might get done sooner rather then later so I can put it up on the wheel free lift. A lot of what you can see flaking away is the wax oil and not rust but this doesn’t mean that are anyway from perfect underneath.

Near side sill

Off side sill which is a bit worse

A bit further along the off side sill, mainly surface coming away but no holes in the area.

Mrs Dorris has also been busy polishing my nuts ;) as I put a coat of wax over the body work to help keep the water out. Unfortunately the rust has gotten into the tailgate around the window seal so my plan will be to just find a replacement tailgate minus the corrosion.

Reunited!

Over the last few weeks most of the work has been putting it back to a condition I can start from again after the 12 month lay up especially in and around the engine with most of the ancillaries coming off and lots of cleaning, polishing, oiling, greasing or painting going on.

With that small piece of loom being in such a mess and what I thought was the cause of the initial running problem and over fuelling I tried to sourcing a replacement, but the ones I did find where in the same sort of condition or worse then the one I had so made the decision to make a new one using the one I have and parts from a 182 which happen to have the same sensor caps and colour coding and for some reason generally be in a much better condition.

Whilst I was waiting for the bits of loom to come through (Big shout out to Skiny from Northern Ireland) a little more work was done, mainly finishing off the engine clean up but sadly its not at the standard it was when I first rebuilt the engine but its clean and tidy again and workable, in time little things here and there will be tackled to tidy it up even more but at least its not the block of corrosion it was a few months ago.
Whilst the charge cooler is off I decided to lag the under side just to help reduce the heat soak, I've been thinking about doing this for a while and just happen to stubble across some insulation blanket which was ideal, so I cut it to shape and attached it with some high temperature silicon adhesive.

I know ideally it could do with the insulation coming up around the sides of the charge cooler but this would of been to unsightly for my liking so kept it just to the underside.

This picture shows better just how reflective it is.

Over the last couple weekends it has been a definite case of one step forward two steps back!
I fitted the new loom and put it all back together, went to get the battery, no battery! Turns out it was put out for scrap by mistake and someone has walked off with it before it reached the scrap compound. *bleep* off? Extremely! Not at the fact it was a relatively new battery put out for scrap as that was a genuine mistake and the battery will be replaced but the fact that in such a short space of time someone has been rifling through our waste containers nicking our scrap. Oh well what is done is done.
Not really an issue to get the car fired up I just used the battery out the Lexus, put it in, lots of power and nothing on the starter? Turns out the starter had stuck so a quick strip down, starter motor out, freed it up back together and bingo car fired up lovely and sat there ticking over nicely by its self with no assistance from my self woohoo! Although a little high on the revs but not concerned as the ignition timing hadn't been set at this point but my hopes were soon dashed when I went to rev it. Anything above tick over the engine hunts extremely and dies above 2k RPM.
Next step was to get the ignition timing looked at, bridged the TE1 and E1 port stuck my timing gun on it and my timing gun started playing up before it failed completely so cant confirm if I got the timing bang on but the symptoms are still there.
I let the car sit and tick over and come up to full temperature and every else seems to be ok there, got a fair bit of condensation and soot out the exhaust but then id expect that with the massive over fuelling I've had in the past and now getting some heat for the first time since its rebuild. The other issue I have is the radiator fan constantly runs as soon as the ignition is turned on but im hopeing this is just a switch so not a brilliant weekend really and I walked away somewhat frustrated with a big dent in my motivation.
Now to do some thinking, homework, recharge my battery and find out what's going on and why.
I'm convinced the over fuelling is sorted with the new bit of loom but not sure if this new problem is either ignition or still a fuel problem, it might even been cam timing but I'm not convinced but checking that might be a place to start just to rule it out.
Now time for a very long and big cup of tea lol.

Not got much done this week as I've been laid up with man flue but I did manage to get the AFM off today as that felt stiff and almost like the gate was damped so I pulled it apart to make sure all was working as it should expecting to find congealed grease or oily grime only to find this!

Not quite what I was expecting but after a good clean up its looking a little more like what the internals of a ST185CS AFM should look like.
The gate its self had a little play in it so took Mooks advice and went 2 clicks up on the spring which has put just enough tension back in the spring to fully close the gate again but before it all goes back together and gets resealed ill give the spring a light oil along with the hinge.

I also removed the bottom plate to give the gate and inside a good clean too, with 20+ years of use there was enough grime to cause the gate to just interfere with the bottom plate which might have been the cause of the stiffness I mentioned previously.

I'm not convinced that this is the cause of the running problems I'm getting but all that corrosion and grime is not going to help, with a good clean and a retightened spring this is only going to improve things and stop problems occurring further down the line. Of course Ill put it back on and try it before I go any further and then I'll take things from there. Dorris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next