www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:59 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Indeed they don't look like they have copper content, particularly when compared to the ones in my picture above.

It is possible (likely) that they aren't genuine Toyota as it would appear they've worn 10mm in 2 years which would certainly rule them out as being the originals fitted 20 years ago. By comparison, my 205 probably covered near 100K miles in 5+ years of my ownership without me changing brushes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:14 pm 
Group B

Just to update, I tried a pair of standard carbon brushes intended for a mains power tool in one of our vehicles. These are 24V and normal running current approx. 10-15A.
It felt ok to start with as I drove it from the garage to the pitlane. Within a few rides it was noticably slower than the other vehicles. I left it a bit longer but it was getting slower & slower and I finally took it back off after 15 rides. The brushes were very hot and the tips had very noticable wear.

This confirms my expectaion that the generic carbon brushes easily available on ebay are not suitable for low voltage motors of any significant power

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:42 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST165
to clarify.

Charge cooler pumps are available as overhauled units starting from £135, there is an additional £155 if you require a pump with a rewound armateur, new commutator and brushes.
if i was to charge by the amount of time it takes to get the pumps looking and working like they do i would charge treble the amount i do!

I have proven time and time again replacing just bearings is not a fix that will last long, the same can be said for replacing just brushes, FACT

Brushes as short as the ones shown above will mean the commutator is VERY worn and running on borrowed time
it won't last running for very long as there will be very little copper left.

shown below is a rewound Armateur, new Comm and brushes (different brushes are used these days)

A small part of my collection of worn Armateurs, these will be having new Comms fitted and would NEVER be reused as is.

the above Armateurs are from pumps that threw error codes or where people butchered the pumps trying to change bearings with screwdrivers...

As the brushes wear down they fill the pump housing with carbon dust and speed the whole wearing process up, short brushes create a lot of heat and agin do nothing for the life of the pumps.
i suspect the pump is not working at its best, how many miles/K's has your car done!?

www.GT4-Play.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:22 pm 
Clubman

I inspected those brushes approx 2.5 years ago when I replaced the bearings & emptied out the case of dust. Iirc they were about 10mm then. 2.5 years & 45k miles (yes I actually use my car :p) later they had worn to the pictures shown previously.
I'm sure they were original to the pump & the pump original to the car. The brush tails look like Toyota custom jobbies to me.

I inspected the new brushes now they have been on a few weeks. They have bedded in nicely & seem fine.

The commutator is worn, however I guess there's at least 80k of useful life in it yet. It appeared no more worn than the one I fitted to my old mr2 turbo, & that is still going strong on its original brushes with the new owner.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:17 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST165
Glad all is working well.
Fancy a wager on the pump lasting another 80K miles? ;)
Assuming it's still wired and running as Toyota intended?

www.GT4-Play.co.uk