www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:42 pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:35 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: ST205
Hey folks,

At some point soon I would like to re-bush the items beneath, but have no experience in this before. The parts in question:

Rear suspension components i.e. trailing arms etc.

The reason I'd like to do this is I've relatively recently had new LCA's/Fig8's etc up front and it has changed totally how the front end feels. It feels more planted and confident. I'd like to get the whole ride quality overall to the same standard as up front, so I have a few questions for anyone in the know.

With the rear suspension components i.e. trailing arms etc, is it would poly bushing or getting the original OEM bushes? I understand that poly bushes are a lot more firm, lasting longer etc, but would it be worth it on a road car or would OEM bushes suffice? http://www.ebay.com/itm/CELICA-ST205-GT4-SUSPENSION-BUSHES-REAR-BUSHING-KIT-URETHANE-/140910718152?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item20ceeeecc8

Also, Possibly rear subframe. Is it worth replacing the rear subframe bushes with Poly bushes like this http://www.gt4.com.pl/polyurethane/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=54?
Would I noticed any difference to the drive (as in how the car feels under throttle etc) with this?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated thanks guys :)!

Matt.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:52 pm 
Club Staff

Something to consider will be the cost as well, I would think that the Poly bushes will be significantly cheaper than the OEM ones.

Keep in mind fitting as well, getting the old bushes out is a difficult job.

I have poly bushed the rear of my car and expect there to be an increase in noise and vibration whilst being tighter handling. You shouldn't polybush the 2 control arm sperical bearings in the hub, these should be replaced with new OEM bearings available from a couple places including TCB.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:14 pm 
Junior WRC

Car Model: ST165
Re: Pan rod / trailing arm bushings, i doubt they are available from Toyota without buying the whole replacement arm.
However TRD offer an uprated OEM type replacement that fits ST165 / ST185 /ST205
I've got 3 for sale if you want to buy and import a 4th @ £14 from Japan: http://www.rhdjapan.com/trd-rear-strut- ... t185-58798
Otherwise buy the polybush equivalents from one of the many UK suppliers. I have these on my ST185 RC and ST165

Re: Rear subframe:

I bought genuine Toyota ST165 subframe bushings x 4 for noise / vibration / harshness qualities. I cannot fault them.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d38/skintbinlid/rear%20sub%20frame/

Some of the ones that were removed had corroded and virtually crumbled apart, like dust in the wind dude.

Many others have bought Polish Pawel's (aka Paul) equivalents from gt4 suspensions.pl because they are cheaper... but they are solid poly unlike the OEM design which is cushioned. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:29 am 
Clubman

I did wonder whether OEMs might be more pricey than poly equivalents, so that's great to know it is the case. Thanks Gary for the link to the TRD OEM equivalent bushes too, they sound like they might be the best option!

Sirius, regarding the noise etc after fitting poly bushes to the rear... do you feel it was worth it for the more confident ride etc? Is significantly more noisey than OEM?

Fitting wise, it does sound like a pain in the arse job. Isn't it best to burn them out instead of pressing?

Thanks for the feedback about the subframe mounts, Gary! Sounds like it might be worth doing them too then. Do you reckon poly subframe mounts over OEM would make much difference in vibrations etc?

Thanks for the help dudes :).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:19 pm 
Club Staff

The car isn't on the road yet so I don't know - but I expect it to be noisier - whether it will be worth it remains to be seen!

I think most people burn them out. I had a garage do mine for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:16 pm 
Junior WRC

williamw1987 wrote:
I did wonder whether OEMs might be more pricey than poly equivalents, so that's great to know it is the case. Thanks Gary for the link to the TRD OEM equivalent bushes too, they sound like they might be the best option!

If you do decide to go the TRD route, could you please order me a 4th bushing and i will pay for it when it arrives in the UK. A set of 3 is useless to me, and the postage for a single items is a little silly, hence if you place an order i would like to tag on a bushing on to your order please.

One thing > you will need a press to press the TRD bushings in!
The poly equivalent trailing ram bushings are in 2 parts and are a much looser slide in fit. Easy.

Sirius, regarding the noise etc after fitting poly bushes to the rear... do you feel it was worth it for the more confident ride etc? Is significantly more noisey than OEM?

Fitting wise, it does sound like a pain in the arse job. Isn't it best to burn them out instead of pressing?

datajon pressed mine out and pressed the new replacements in. It was easy to watch!

Thanks for the feedback about the subframe mounts, Gary! Sounds like it might be worth doing them too then. Do you reckon poly subframe mounts over OEM would make much difference in vibrations etc?

YES i do think* you would notice a little more NVH, but then i have no real world experience of riding in a car with 4 x solid poly subframe and differential carrier bushings.
Lots of people have bought the red polish poly bushings on here and gt4oc. But i have not read any feedback or passengered after fitting!

Thanks for the help dudes :).

cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:16 pm 
Junior WRC

:? double post :oops:

Last edited by Gary ST165 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:29 pm 
Clubman

Brilliant, thanks very much Gary!

Thanks to you both for the advice :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:40 pm 
Club Staff

I have poly bushes in the diff subframe but not the diffmount. Main subframe is oem toyota
There was a noticable impact but not severe. It basically had a couple of speed dependent resonances which were noticable but not annoying.
Recently it's either settled down or i just don't notice it any more

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:48 am 
Clubman

Thanks for the feedback! Did the car feel nicer/tighter to drive because of the poly bushes diff subframe?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:20 am 
Club Staff

Felt no different - those bushes are only holding the diff onto the subframe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:37 am 
Clubman

Ok cool. Thanks again for the advice!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST185
depending on the corrosion, you can firmly tap the bushes out, otherwise use a press to get them out.
Nolethane and superpro do trailing arm bushes etc, but note, do not use polyurethane to replace rose joints. Either retain or use factory replacements.

"I want to enjoy the powerful and nimble agility behavior."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 am 
Clubman

Thanks for the advice dude! After talking with JDModified yesterday, I'm going to poly bush some time this year, so I'll keep in mind the rose joints too. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:34 pm 
Club Staff

Everything you ever wanted to know thanks to Gary!

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=213473