www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:52 pm

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:10 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: None
You did take out the bung form the oil return didn't you? The oil return pipe is nice & clear and you removed the rubber glove/tissue paper you used to to block the oil return line?

A quick search has found this doc:- http://www.approvedturbo.com/articles/A ... ooting.pdf

I believe that you have to give them a chance to rectify the problem for a claim to be succesful in a court. This puts you in the position where you lose the chance to get it inspected unless you get a unit back that has the same problem.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:10 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
I think I've lost count of the number of times I've read of this situation where someone sends a turbo off for reconditioning then finds a problem when they install it and run the engine. The turbo reconditioner almost always blames the installation. IMO the only way to avoid this is to get them to install the turbo. I'm glad I decided to do this as I experienced a sticky wastegate during a track day at Castle Combe. The company removed the turbo and fixed it all in half a day free of charge and now have me as a happy customer. Moral of the story is that price should not be the only one factor in deciding how to carry out the work, after sales service, warranty etc. are all important. I know this doesn't help you now but may help others in the future.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:01 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Difficult to know what to suggest

I think I would take it to an independent party for disassembly and investigation. Personally I would use either turbo technics or (for preference) Owen Developments (Don's suppliers) and expect to pay for their services assuming they will do it. I pick those two specifically as they are both highly respected industry participants who, as independent witnesses, should carry some weight

What happens after that depends on the failure I suspect. I have a feeling that the right to reply rule might not be required if an independent identifies poor workmanship as the problem. I am sure I've heard of accident repair horrors where the car has not been returned to the original bodyshop for rectification as the customer has lost faith.

Possibly worth heading to piston heads legal forum and asking there. There's a few legal beagles over there who might be able to suggest possible solutions

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:21 am 
Junior WRC

Car Model: ST185
:( Oh well thanks for the replies guys, fed-ex called at warners yesterday to collect the offending item and were promptly told to go away (for now) , just really buying a little time , i mean theres no rush now is there ?
Actually i called up at warners last night too :) , to drop off a tt s148 single w/gate and a good clean tubby oil feed/return pipe :) . So then turbo fitting today and god help us mapping tomorrow :mrgreen: