www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:33 am

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:16 am 
New Poster

Car Model: None
hi all new to the site... recently picked up my gt4 205 and now all my friends are very jealous! the car is in amazing condition apart from the nsf suspension... there is no play in it at all going over the smallest bump or pot hole feels like hitting a curb at speeds doesnt happen on the left or the rear just the front right. normally would just take to a garage and ask them to fix but i have a feeling they will charge a lot so does anyone know the name of the parts i would need so i can try and source them myself? i havent got my head around how the suspension works on this car ive heard a lot about banana arms. fig 8s. front arms. coils etc etc i dont know which i would need? any help would be appreciated :)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:00 am 
WRC

Car Model: ST205
jack the car up, grab the wheel at fault and rock and move it, the straight arm and fig 8 joint are usually at fault with play in the front end.

Banana arm on mine are still on from the factory 138,000 miles ago... well one of them is but the other whole side needed fixing after hitting a gigantuam of a pot hole.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:28 am 
Group B

The checks that most seem to miss when checking for play.

1 - With the car on it's wheels and steering straight ahead, try 'rolling' the front wheel forwards & backwards. If there is play, check which end of the banana arm (= tie bar) has play. Ths is usually 'crush tube failure' and is masked when the car is jacked up as the angle changes and the bush jams so it can't move.

2 - Jack up the corner & remove the wheel. Grab the bottom of the strut / top of hub and try moving it backwards / forwards and in/out. If there is play, check which joint is moving (usually one end of the 'fig 8' link. The end which connects to the bottom arm, the joint is actually in the arm. MOT tests usually miss play in these joints.

If these don't show up the fault, then have a look at anti roll bar rubbers and drop links (the links from strut to anti roll bar). You will probably need to undo the drop links to feel any play in them.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:38 pm 
Club Staff

There is some good information over on http://www.gtfours.co.uk

If you go to the How to - Suspension - Change superstrut

And also the what is - superstrut

You'll get a good idea what the various bits are.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:57 pm 
New Poster

thanks all i will go through all of the above advice when the rain decides to go... cheers

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:47 pm 
New Poster

Hi ive taken the car into a garage and they put on the ramp and did some checks could see them trying to move wheel about etc and said there was no leaks or anything and said on the face of it it looks alright. So i took one out in the car to go over a speed bump to demonstrate how bad it was and the response was 'dam thats really bad'. They said because the springs were lowered the springs arent absorbing the load or something and said to put new standard legs on both front wheels. If i remember rightly thats top mounts arms springs and shocks. Does this sound right? It sounds expensive to me lol and if i really have to spend nearly 1k cant i just get an adjustable coilover set and straight replace them? But before that is there no way it could just be one part that i could pick up 2nd hand off ebay? As its imported no one can order parts or really give me a definate answer as to what is wrong :(

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:37 pm 
Club Staff

Where about in the country are you? I think a trip to someone who knows their stuff might be able to offer a better diagnosis

If one wheel clunks and crashes then it's unlikely to be a suspension design fault unless it's set up with different suspension on that wheel only

Worn suspension arms are usually more of a clunky knock problem, not an OMG the wheel is falling off experience
For the latter I'd be thinking broken spring, knackered damper, missing bump stop or serious issue with the top mount
However I would think a competing mechanic would have noticed the obvious candidates so I am at a bit of a loss

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:21 pm 
New Poster

West midlands wolverhampton. I think tomorrow im going to try and get a video of in car hopefully can show it and paste link to youtube. Took my dad in it on way to garage for first time he thought the suspension had come through the bonnet the impacts seem that hard. Will see if anyone is breaking a gt4 on ebay and see if they have the suspension still.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:49 pm 
Club Staff

Before you start buying things - I think in your position I would go and see a garage who really know's these cars.

There are four that will definitely be able to help you none of which are a million miles away from you.

MK Auto Repairs and Tuning in Blackburn - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mk-Auto-Repairs-and-Tuning-Ltd/121507894641634

Tuning Developments in Warrington - http://www.tuningdevelopments.co.uk/

TB Developments in Kidderminster - http://www.tbdevelopments.com/

TR&D in Nottingham - http://www.toyotarepairs.net/

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:59 pm 
New Poster

Kiddiminster is the closest i will load up their site now :) great help :)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:31 am 
New Poster

3 garages later finally fixed and for free!! They couldnt see anything wrong with the shocks or springs no leaks or nothing i said id replace the front right suspension strut and just before taking it away they checked the connecting bolt under the hood and it was 3 threads short compared to the left. Apparently it was stopping the shock doing its job tightened it up and it was fixed! Cant believe it i was ready to fork out a fortune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:08 am 
Junior WRC

sweet result!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:53 pm 
WRC

haha, sounds like when I had to go do a job over in kyrgyzstan, the taxi on the way back to the airport was banging like nobodys business, it sounded like the strut was literally going to fall off.

I don't think it had any nuts on the threads! haha