www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

Post subject: Clutch or Gears?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:00 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
Hi. My ST205 has developed an issue while changing gear.
Whilst driving, changing up is only possible when at around 2500 rpm (ish), any other engine speed results in the gear lever physically resisting going into the slot. There is also a kind of grating noise audible when changing at low speeds. The clutch squeaks badly, and I replaced the fluid but no difference. Changing down is often very difficult until revs and car speed are low. Some changes result in the gear grinding nastiness.
My mate is a mechanic, but he didn't seem sure of the cause, Swithering between release bearing or gearbox. His advice to "let it develop" being the final clue that he was baffled. I'd rather fix it, as the car cannot be driven with any enthusiasm at all, so kind of defeats the purpose IMO!
Any advice appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Clutch or Gears?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:40 pm 
Club Staff

Start from the simple end first and assume it is the clutch. Do you know how many miles the clutch has done and what sort of treatment its had?

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:53 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Sounds like dragging clutch.

Is the bite point really low to the floor ?
Is it worse after chucking it round a right hand bend ?
Does it make a rattling noise when you hold your foot on the clutch ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:59 pm 
Club Staff

Also try try starting the car in gear with the clutch down and handbrake off ( cover the brake pedal just in case ) . If the car lurches the clutch system is at faukt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:16 am 
Group N

Track Toy - The clutch has done about 50k. I'm not prone to hard launches, but the car has been caned at Knockhill a few times.

Nibbles - the bite point doesnt seem especially low; not sure about the RH bend, will check ; it does seem to rattle/scuff occasionally.

205 - I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the help guys, very appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:50 pm 
Group N

Ok, so I had her out for a cruise today to further monitor the symptoms.

I tried the starting in gear with clutch down... no lurching. Just the usual squeak from the clutch pedal being depressed.

On driving around, progress through the gears is notchy and stiff, with plenty of grinding if the revs ain't quite right. Once in gear and the clutch engaged, no odd noises.

So, given this is a sports car and there's no point driving around like a Honda Jazz on a Sunday afternoon, I am compelled to come to a decision on fixing her...

<Cue Theme from Simon Bates' "Our Tune"> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ZDsUGiGqM

To be honest, this is the first time I've been in any doubt as to whether keeping the old gal is for the best. It's a little disheartening. I suppose it's the first problem I've had that I probably can't fix myself, but right now with my good lady being off on maternity leave and having two young kids I can't afford a money pit. There's also a knock from the N/S/F suspension which is going to need hard cash spent, even with me doing the spanner work.

So I'm going to have to garage her for a bit, wait til I've got the hard cash to spend on her, then get her back on the road. The other option of course it to... I can't say it... sell her. Not at all keen on the second option, but I suppose it's the "sensible dad" voice which I sometimes hear. Obviously, the car is worth more to me than the paltry amount it would fetch with it's current ailments. I can smell mothballs...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:03 pm 
Club Staff

Unless you desperately need the money I would keep it - like you say its not going to fetch much as it is.

If you do mothball it I would suggest a car cover, whether its inside or out, amazing how much dust accumulates even inside a garage.

I'd also advise covering everything mechanical in liberal amounts of WD40 or similar to keep the corrosion away from parts and finally to make sure the inside is totally dry and give it an airing every so often.

I left my car for 18 months outside - in that time the engine bay got really rusty, there was mold or something growing in a patch on the rear seats and moss on the outside and the paintwork got into a shocking state!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:07 pm 
Clubman

what about linkage with the cars being cable driven?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:51 pm 
Group N

OK, so I'm back to my old self again, must've had sunstroke or summat! The car will be staying. Back to the task at hand....

Thanks again for further input. I had the linkages checked by my mate, all seemed OK.

I'm going to check the gearbox oil next, as its probably the last easy thing to do. Failing that, I'll attack the clutch incl slave cylinder, bearing etc. I may be able to keep the car somewhere I can do the work (mostly) myself on a ramp, as I like to expand my mechanical knowledge.

Sound sensible?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:18 pm 
Group N

my clutch pedal squeaks sometimes and its only the clutch fork thing needing a good greasing inside the box bell housing.

Maybe theyre unrelated. Ive had 2 gt4 gearboxes cause issues for me in the last 12 months. I know that they are supposed to be indestructible and I think Ive been mega unlucky but dont discount it. The gearbox may well have to come off to change the clutch anyway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:21 am 
New Poster

Hi,

Oil is a good point to start from in this case, but It seems Like a Sincro Prob, has your mate checked this out?

For squeaking noise, normaly if the sound is in the car, just some WD on the pedal hinges!!

Now in mauritius we find it easier to remove the engine for Gearbox repairs.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:22 pm 
Group N

Hi Thierry. Thanks for posting.
I've made zero progress on the car, as I've been busy with other of life's 'stuff'.
The squeaking is from inside the clutch housing unfortunately, and I'm now getting a scuffing noise (Clutch plate?) when riding the clutch (eg. slow take-off or reversing etc.) At least it seems to point more to clutch assembly than gearbox. Hopefully.
Once i've the time to investigate further, I will report back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:52 am 
Group N

Christ, it's been a long time. I'd better get my finger out soon or the old girl will never move again!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:11 am 
Group B

I assume the problem is still there and the car's been off the road.

One other possibility which I've had on my 185 is pedalbox cracked and broken causing less clutch movement. This can be checked by measuring the movement at the slave cylinder.

It does sound like a clutch problem but since the gearbox comes out to get at the clutch anywhay it may be worth getting a secondhand one to stick back in anyway. The.gear grinding won't ,have done yours any favours and you may wind up with a grinding gear anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:42 am 
Group N

How good is the clutch fluid. Seen many that looked like grease rather than fluid worth bleeding 5 min job.