www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

Post subject: Re: Driveshaft seal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:38 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
The guy who makes them seems sound enough from talking to him and he seems to make many parts. With the right tools they probably wouldn't be that hard to build so should be ok. Or that's what I tell myself anyway. Only time will tell though but they seem fine so far. Strangely I can't find anyone else that has used them though.
I stay in penicuik out near edinburgh. A mini meet arround here would be good to get a look over other cars and exchange notes.
Also it's funny you mention that as another white one has appeared near me recently and one of my friends fancies one now. Iv convinced myself I'm a trend setter lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:53 pm 
Group B

Consequence of the main lower arm breaking - steering will shoot suddenly to one side and you will have no control over it. Likely outcome a nasty accident with a high probability of fatalities.

Worth a thought when saving a few quid !!!!

Banana arms, fig 8's etc are likely to be a less severe outcome so I would happily save money on these.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:31 am 
Clubman

I agree with what your saying it's a case of you pay your money and take your chances. In my opinion though when people are willing to fit parts from cars being broken and buy all sorts of refurbished parts from brake calipers to engines I don't see the problem.
I don't see how they could brake personally the only part I imagine Would fail is the center ball joint which would cause you to detach from the strut and collapse that while very dangerous shouldn't happen in a flash at high speeds it would either be from hitting a huge pot hole or kerb or just wear and tear which would be indicated by knocking. I can't see any of this happening anyway as all that is replaced is the plastic washer type thing in the ball joint that wears over time. From what I have seen it's not even a ball joint as such but iv never opened one myself as much as I would love to.
Also many other brands of cars have many suppliers of refurbished control arms so they are not a new thing just for us and I haven't heard of too many problems.
Anyway I totally see and in a sense agree with what you are saying but I see it as safe. But it's a drivers decision to make.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:38 pm 
Group B

If the arm is machined in the process to take a 'standard' joint, it will be weakened and may then break given a jolt from a pothole or lump of debris in the road.

If the bottom balljoint fails or the arm snaps then, with the steering arm at the back, castor action will make the wheel shoot outwards to full lock.

The result would look something like this - warning - graphic content, don't watch if you don't want to see such things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzq54UnwyKc

There aren't many components on a car that are especially safety critical, but the lower arm is probably THE most safety critical one - as critical as a wing breaking on an aircraft.

The examples you quote:
Failure of 1 brake - you still have 3 others (had this) - worst case you're still doing a lowish speed when you hit something, assuming you can't steer round.
Engine failure - Coast to a halt. Worst case would be failure while doing a dodgy overtake with little safety margin. There's a simple answer to that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:29 pm 
Clubman

My understanding would be that all the pressure applied from pressing the break would push the oil to the easiest outlet causing all brakes to fail at once. When my freind at work failed miserably in returning his breaks they all failed at once.
It looks to me like it is still the old joint and just the plastic housing that goes arround it that is replaced. I could be wrong though.
I get what your saying though I wouldn't force aomeone to use them it's there own choice I just suggest it as they have been fine for me and I don't worry too much but most people understand the risk that is posed so I didn't go into too much detail. I totally get you though mate better to be safe than sorry and it's great that you care enough to make sure people are aware.
Also just to show anyone who doesn't already know here are the internals of the middle "ball" joint.
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?s=0 ... opic=91757

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:28 pm 
Group B

If a brake fails, losing it's fluid then 2 wheels braking is lost as it's dual circuit. If a brake fails due to jamming or similar then only 1 brake is lost - unless the master cylinder is also faulty of courese.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:43 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
Diagonally opposed if I remember correctly.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk