www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:36 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
Nibbles wrote:
Muddy Water wrote:
Having said that, I'll be trying some Vredsteins next.

:roll:
Hope your insurance is up to date. Mind you, my experience of these is from 30 years ago, never gone ner them since.

:?
I used the Vredstein Ultrac Sessantas as recently as 5 years ago and they were very good.
I'd like to give the Vredstein Ultra Vorti tyres a go (if there good enough for a Lamborgini :!: ...)

Best tyres that I have ever used on the 205 was the Goodyear Eagle F1s.

But I agree with Briano's comment:
Quote:
I find tyres a very subjective thing and different drivers are more comfortable with different types of tyre.

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:33 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
After 3 days of rain the toyos are much better, possibly helped by the engine running on 3 most of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:30 pm 
Club Staff

Nigel,
I know you like a good deal, there are some very good prices at www.lovetyres.com at present on both Goodyear Asy 2 and the Vredestein and Kumhos.

Muddy Water wrote:
Nibbles wrote:
Muddy Water wrote:
Having said that, I'll be trying some Vredsteins next.

:roll:
Hope your insurance is up to date. Mind you, my experience of these is from 30 years ago, never gone ner them since.

:?
I used the Vredstein Ultrac Sessantas as recently as 5 years ago and they were very good.
I'd like to give the Vredstein Ultra Vorti tyres a go (if there good enough for a Lamborgini :!: ...)

Best tyres that I have ever used on the 205 was the Goodyear Eagle F1s.

But I agree with Briano's comment:
Quote:
I find tyres a very subjective thing and different drivers are more comfortable with different types of tyre.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:01 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
As this has become a more general tyre conversation. I really like the Pirelli P-Zero run flats I have fitted to my 118D. They seem very grippy and very predictable. The wear rate has not been great but certainly no worse than an eagle f1 etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:32 pm 
Clubman

I have had the falken 452 which I found to be quite a good tyre I didn't get massive amount of miles out of them but that was due to camber.
They seemed to grip well and did 3 laps of the ring ,1 after the other without any real difference
Then another 2/3000 comfortable around Europe. Wet grip always seemed good not that I pushed that hard to try my luck . My only issue is now I've got a new set of falken the new 453
The tread pattern seems to be a lot like the continental sport contact 2/3 and I'm not so convinced that they are a step in the right direction ,they just don't seem to give me the same confidence time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:56 pm 
Group B

Pirelli is one of my favorite manufacturers. I can't say I've ever had a bad set of tyres from them of any type / spec. Their non top of range tend to be a wee bit squidgy on dry tarmac which is probably why many don't like them, but they are very progressive and predictable under all conditions. Of their current range this applies to P3000 (on my little diesels) and P6000 (on celica). I have also had a set of Pzeros which were superb on dry tarmac without the squidgyness, good in normal wet conditions and not horriffic in the slimy stuff. Quite a big price tag though.

I have also tried BF goodrich (not sure which) on my Clio which were superb and were better than P3000 under all conditions, way better in the dry.

I also quite like the Kumho stuff I've tried, but generally has been a bit soft for summer conditions with horrific tyre squeal when pushed even slightly and rapid wear. Very progressive and predictable under all conditions.

As may be guessed from my first post, I'm not a fan of Falcons. My experiences have all been of a tyre then feels very solid in the dry but VERY upredictable in the wet varying from good grip on most wet corners to suddenly taking a dislike to a particular surface and just letting go completely and sliding with a noise / vibration like dragging furnature over a wooden floor. They have a lot of fans though, and are probably the most reccomended tyre of forums, but virtually all the people who love them say they don't push them hard in the wet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:16 pm 
WRC

as above two, I have the falken 452 on mine for the last two sets of tyres and have had great confidence in them, multiple trackdays and road use and not really let me down.

However I did nearly get stuck in a muddy field with them but that was about 4 inches deep in wet mud for 30 yards and my exuberant right foot in 1st gear didnt help. haha :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:16 pm 
Club Staff

The Pirellis on my Elise Sport 190 were very easy to break traction and that was before I fitted the supercharger. They may work fine on a standard Elise but I can't confirm. Years ago I recall Pirellis had a reputation cor being zoct and vrippy but not lasting long so I was rather surprised by this experience.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:25 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST185
Diceman wrote:
Nigel,
I know you like a good deal, there are some very good prices at http://www.lovetyres.com at present on both Goodyear Asy 2 and the Vredestein and Kumhos.

Cheers JP
I don't need any tyres atm but I usually get mine from http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 Sovereign AWD Automatic
Blood Bikes - https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:14 pm 
Clubman

I had Toyo's on my old MR2. Always felt they were intended for a light car, they wibble around too much when you put serious load through them. Not a fan of Falkens; always found them to be distinctly average.

I have Dunlop SportMaxx RT tyres on my GT4, they are very good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:23 am 
Club Staff

TrackToyFour wrote:
Pirellis had a reputation cor being zoct and vrippy but not lasting long

*bleep* - xmas party?

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:32 pm 
Group B

After a bit of a moment last night, I can double confirm that proxies don't like wet sand. I might as well have hit an ice patch. It's not often I issue expletives while looking at an approaching hedgerow, and my passenger claims to have made a skidmark of his own :lol:
Thankfully nothing hit, no ends swapped and only a couple of seconds lost.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:06 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST165
Tyre manufacturers would have us believe our summer/All weather tyres are fine until temps drop to around 7'
I have proxes on my GT-4 and can get them to loose traction with out to much provoking..
They actually known as a Budget tyre now days, they are pretty cheap when compared with Bridgestone, Dunlop, Continental etc

Winter tyres will be the way forward but it does mean another set of wheels, expense and storage.
Not sure how they are on 'Performance' cars?

www.GT4-Play.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:22 pm 
Group B

To update, I finished off the proxies at the autotest last weekend and fitted a pair of my spare set of wheels with 'accellera alpha' tyres. These are a mega budget tyre (£50/corner from my local bathwick). I have been running these on my road celica for a few years now and while not great they tend to be predictable and progressive and not given me any nasty surprises.

On 90% of corners in the wet, there was very little difference in handling but on the few known corners where the toyos just let go completely every time, handling was much improved.

Sadly one of these went bad on the way home from the curry meet last night, finally spotted this morning after jacking up the whole rear end and running them under engine power.

Time to try uniroyal rainsport 3 soon I think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:58 pm 
Club Staff

That's not good. It looks from the picture like the tyre has a depression in the sidewall rather than a bulge? Or is it just the pic?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next