www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:01 pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:27 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: ST205
Hi,

Only purchased my 1994 GT4 a couple of weeks ago but have a few issues already!!

I've been getting a strong smell inside the car after accelerating hard, a cross between exhaust fumes and burning oil, not quite sure what it is.

Also, not having had a car with a boost guage before, I wasn't sure what it should be reading. After a few checks on youtube videos I take it that it should be under vacuum until you put the foot down. My boost gauge sits on the first notch on the positive scale when idling.

Even when accelerating at a moderate pace the boost gauge goes off the scale along with a loud noise from the intake.

I'm now wondering if the 2 problems could be related?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:41 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Hi and welcome to the club.

Is it the stock boost gauge, or an aftermarket one ? Some aftermarket ones can be very inaccurate.

As regards the funny smell, it could possibly be both exhaust fumes and burning oil.

Have you checked oil level and managed to see how fast it's using it ?
Does the car run smooth, or does it make a '3 cylindering' noise like a subaru ?
Can you see any signs of where oil might be coming out ? Does it leave drips of oil on the ground when parking ?

There are a number of issues this could be, lets hope this is a less serious one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:50 pm 
Club Staff

Welcome to the club. Doesn't sound like your boost gauge is giving an accurate reading. As you say, it should be under vacuum at idle NOT reading positive boost

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:02 am 
Club Staff

You gauge problem could also be caused by incorrect vacuum plumbing if someone has been playing.

Can you post some pictures of the engine bay around the inlet manifold and the brake master cylinder area and the throttle body.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:25 am 
New Poster

Thanks for the quick replies.
I'm looking at the standard dashboard gauge, the car is standard apart from silicone hoses. I'll get photos up tom of the engine bay. The smell is difficult to figure out. I first thought it was a def coolant smell but now erring to being more metallic or exhaust fume smell. Its more noticeable when I park and get out.
I had a garage check it out before I bought it (Car was in London, I am in Aberdeen!)and they never mentioned anything about it in their inspection even though they took it out for a run.
Bit concerned Ive bought a duffer. :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:18 am 
Club Staff

Don't be hasty, get the pics up and go from there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:46 am 
New Poster

In response to nibbles, there is some oil around the cam cover but doesn't look too serious. I havent had it long enough to see how much oil it's using but I'll keep a check on it.
The garage that did the inspection said they had it on the lift for nearly an hour and there was no drips visible below it.
The car certainly accelerates fast especially when the boost has kicked in fully after a couple of seconds, just seems to be accelerating like a NA car until then, even though it makes plenty of turbo noise initially.

I had an ST165 in the early 90's and loved it, the 205 was always a dream car. The 165 definitely kicked in quicker initally which started me looking at what issues it might have!!

I'll have photo's of the engine bay up this afternoon after work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:36 pm 
Club Staff

Would you recognise the smell of overheated brakes?

Sounds random but the stinky symptoms also match a slipping clutch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:43 pm 
New Poster

Yeah, definitely not brakes or clutch. I'm normally good at pinpointing strange engine smells (20 odd years working as a maintenance engineer) but this one has me flumoxed. I also thought it might be the catalytic converter at one point.
Or maybe it's a mix of ALL the things I've listed :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:55 pm 
Group B

It's not a strange rotting kipper sort of smell is it ? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:24 pm 
New Poster

Link below for engine pics.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6 ... der%2c.jpg

Something else I noticed when I was starting the car for the dashboard photo, when the engine was turning over the boost gauge was kicking up to full boost as the cylinders were under compression. Not sure if this is normal or if it could point someone to what the issue is.
The revs were sitting high but they do drop as expected to around 800rpm when warmed up.
The boost gauge sits where it is in the photo while idling whether the engines warm or cold.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 pm 
Group B

Stubie wrote:
Link below for engine pics.

Something else I noticed when I was starting the car for the dashboard photo, when the engine was turning over the boost gauge was kicking up to full boost as the cylinders were under compression. Not sure if this is normal or if it could point someone to what the issue is.

Cheers.

There should be a thick wire (10mm dia ish) from battery negative direct down to engine / gearbox. Check this is present and tight. Check for signs of overheating at the crimp ends - melted plasic / discolouration / corrosion. Overheating is a sign of a bad connection with power electrics.

Your boost sensor is plumbed fine by the way. Sometimes the standard gauges do go funny. Out of interest, see where it sits when the ignition is on but the engine stopped at this will be true 0.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:46 pm 
New Poster

Earth wire seems to be ok. Just checked the gauge with ignition on and it seems to be acting very strange. The needle rises to the 4th notch then it went over max for about 10-15secs then dropped back down to the 4th notch and wavered up and down there until I switched the ignition off.

Any clues??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:35 pm 
New Poster

Just ordered a boost gauge for more accuracy. In the pics above where would be the best place to 'T' in to? And is there an easy way to get the hose through the bulkhead and in to the cabin on the drivers side?