www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:43 pm

Post subject: thick white smoke!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:47 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
Hi all im new to this site, not the best introduction to start with but here goes!
I purchased a gt4 st205 a few weeks ago!
I blown the exhaust turbine blades and the seals went in the turbo!
I drove the car back to my place and it drove spot on other than no boost!
ive replaced the turbo with a reconditioned turbo but now the car has thick white smoke coming from the exhaust also then it drives abit lumpy and only makes 0 neutral boost on the gauge
I drove her down the road and smoked the street out!

ive bridged the port in the engine and there is no error codes showing or lights flashing!

any ideas would be appreciated many thanks

stuart

Post subject: Re: thick white smoke!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:31 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
If there is no light flashing when you check for error codes then you are not doing it correctly or someone has tampered with the bulb in the dash. The light should flash continuously when there is no code.

Do the usual checks - compression, sniff test, but I suspect that your rebuilt turbo has failed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:37 pm 
New Poster

The engine mange ment light does flas constantly buddy! Were as before it was 5 flashes! Pause! Then 4, SHOWING ERROR CODE 54,

would u recommend I send turbo back.?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:10 pm 
WRC

54 is charge cooler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:15 pm 
Group B

If the turbo oil seals went before and dumped a load of oil into the exhaust, this can take 10 or 20 miles to clear and you leave a smoke screen when doing so.

Saying that, the new turbo and engine should run correctly, so if you have zero boost may point to another duff turbo or some other problem that destroyed the first turbo also.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:26 pm 
New Poster

The car has been running for 1 hr n still thick sign of smoke without lightening! I purchased a new intercooler lvl sensor to clear code! Im gona put her in too redline tunning an see what they say

if new turbo is required ill just out it as she is,
just had full service , cam, alt, ps belts replaced, reaf diff mount done new hks filter new leads plugs, new hydrolic tensioner unit, 82k think this is km not 100% it is jap inport, bought as a toy but its cost me 1500 to get her to this stage :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:10 pm 
WRC

its unfortunately that a fair few of the ones for sale are lemons.

Most of the prime examples are already owned by keen enthusiasts so potentially you have got a very poorly looked after one. :(

Or you could just be very unlucky, mines just rocked over 141,000 miles.... on the factory turbo and engine and has been hammered on all the tracks around the uk I can meet the noise test on although its serviced every 3k miles at most... but then maybe I was just lucky.

But lemons in these cars are rife mainly because they are that expensive to get right if they go totally wrong hence so many being scrapped :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:23 pm 
Group B

People rarely sell cars that are tip top condition, and when the do they rightly ask big money - effectively what the cars SHOULD be worth.

The problem is that these cars were £28K in their day, equivalent to £50K+ cars now, with the associated maintenance costs.

Saying that, these cars don't have the silly amount of electronics that more modern cars have, and are relatively easy to work on without expensive diagnostic kit and tooling - with a good supply of reasonably priced parts from cars being broken.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:02 am 
WRC

Its nice to see someone who actually sees my way of thinking Nibbles.

The amount of foolish people who have said "well it must be cheap to run when it only costs £3k" is unreal.

I'm like, it was £30k nearly in 1994... thats over £50k in todays money, does that sound cheap?!

But like you and I have both said, its like mine, the enthusiasts are very rarely going to sell and when they do I would expect it to be big money.

I personally would never sell mine, after all these years since I was 20... nearly 9 years and its more exciting than the day I first drove it, just one of those cars that will stay forever, I once had a bloke ask me how much I would sell it for, when I said nothing because no amount of money would suffice he looked at me and said "you will never sell it?"

I was like, no it's my car, its like a baby. haha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:46 am 
Club Staff

I've had days where after slipping off a superstrut bolt and punching the subframe or donating another knuckle to the downpipe studs at MOT time when a pikey with good timing could have dragged mine away for free

0 boost sounds like a main pipe off. If it were me I would remove the intake hose from the turbo and see if it spins at idle at all. It's also possible to remove the O2 sensor to check for major issues on the turbine side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:28 am 
Group B

Could also be dump valve stuck open. This or a big split pipe on the intercooler would allow the turbo to overspeed and would account for the failure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:31 pm 
WRC

two_OH_five wrote:
I've had days where after slipping off a superstrut bolt and punching the subframe or donating another knuckle to the downpipe studs at MOT time when a pikey with good timing could have dragged mine away for free

Oops!

Yes I must say the one main time I came close was when I was doing a job I shouldn't of done with a big crowbar propping bits apart and it slipped and smacked me in the side of the head, jesus that hurt and bled! A fair bit of cursing the car happened then. :lol: