www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 am

Post subject: After a 2 year break
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:29 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: ST205
Hi Guys,

After a 2 year break with my 205, I plan on getting it back on the road this year but I'm really out of touch on preferred suppliers/ repairers etc.

I started working as a MINI salesman about 2 ½ years ago and parked the Celica up as I didn't have the money to run it then couldn't be bothered with it. I am now working for PistonHeads and need/ want it running again. As I said, I literally turned it off just over 2 years ago and haven't turned a key since, the battery is dead and the tyres need replacing but what else would be recommended to sort at the same time?

I will definitely be doing the following:
Full Service
Clutch replacement along with all the gear/transfer box seals as it had a gearbox oil leak
Cambelt and associated bits
Brake pads (would discs be needed?)

I have a mechanic friend that will do the bits for me but in terms of mapping, does Ryan (2Bar) still map? I notice on facebook he is spending a lot of time in exotic locations so not sure if mapping my little Apexi powered Celica will still be of interest.

Are TCB/ Fensport/ Tuning Developments still considered to be reputable?

Thank you

Nathan

Post subject: Re: After a 2 year break
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:12 pm 
Club Staff

Hi Nathan!

Good to hear from you again. :D

AFAIK Ryan does still work but Surrey Rolling Road are having a bit of a crisis at the moment and unless they can find another location they will be closing at the end of March.

I know Thor Racing and a chap called Lyndon are well reputed and will map the Apexi Power FC.

In terms of suppliers TCB and Fensport still very reputable. There was a horrendous story about Tuning Developments on another forum, basically took chaps money and then it was over a year before he got his goods, with loads of BS and non-communication so I would steer well clear.

We are still doing the monthly curries in Farnborough - pop along.

Cheers,

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:11 pm 
Clubman

Thanks Mike,

I'd seen about SRR on PH, it's a real shame their landlords aren't playing ball.

I was going to do a few bits to the car when I got it up and running again but it was suggested by someone that I put it back together then see what if anything breaks rather than spend a load of money tarting it up to have to spend more to fix it again.

Are bushes etc likely to have issues after it being sat for a couple of years?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:17 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
TCB very reputable, a one stop shop for me :lol:

I was happy with the mapping done on a friends car at Thor and would be happy to reccomend. No personal experience of Lyndon (nod) but several people I trust have reccomended. I have reservations about others that seem to have lots of sales spiel about how good and sought after they are. ;)

Bushes should be ok, but an MOT should find any that need attention.

May be worth squidging some fresh grease in the CV joints as the thin layer of grease that actually sits on the moving parts will probably have dried out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:37 pm 
Clubman

Luckily my mechanic friend is an MOT tester so he should be able to give me the blunt truth whether I want to hear it or not. I had a strange misfire occasionally when coming on boost prior to parking it up so I'll probably chuck a fuel pump in it too and cross my fingers for that to be a cheap fix.

I was going to do an oil cooler, flywheel and intercooler pipe work when putting it back together but I'll probably leave those until I know all is well. I can't wait to drive it again as the fastest thing I've driven in 2 years is a JCW MINI.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:53 pm 
Clubman

Ahh another thing. Is it worth replacing the brake hoses? Where is the best place for them? There were issues with the goodridge (I think) kits when I was last in "the fold"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:50 pm 
Club Staff

For the brake hoses I wouldn't touch anything except the OEM Toyota ones, TCB sell them for reasonable prices.

Happy to lend a hand with the spanners if you need it ever. I agree - just get it running again and then see what needs attention.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:20 am 
Group N

Hiya

As has been said already your mot tester will tell you most of the work needing doing on the car if you ask him nicely, the mot is a minimal road worthiness standard so if it passes an mot it doesn't mean its in great condition, some of the things we are told to pass or else is ridiculous.

Most important things are giving the car a good service, check all levels, remove the efi fuse and prime the engine fully whilst checking manually the oil pressure at the head BEFORE starting the engine, fresh fuel is a must as well, after over 2 years stood the fuel will of deteriorated so a fuel filter change after your first 100 or so miles will also help with the running

Martin

https://www.mkautorepairsandtuning.uk/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mk-Auto-R ... 7894641634

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:22 am 
Group N

As for the mapping I can vouch for lyndon he maps all my customers cars and mine too, if you like I can pass on his contact details to you over pm ?

Martin

https://www.mkautorepairsandtuning.uk/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mk-Auto-R ... 7894641634

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:40 am 
Clubman

Thank you all,

I'll keep you updated, Martin I will take his details when it's closer to being ready thank you.

Nathan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:24 am 
Group B

If you already have braided lines i would change them as you can't inspect condition. If you have rubber ones then your not will advise if they're perished.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:12 pm 
Clubman

The standard lines are fitted at the moment and as the car is 20 years old, I might replace them anyway as I did have brake fade a couple of times when I went round Silverstone.

Does anyone on here visit PistonHeads much? I only ever see one 205 (white Castrol liveried) at the Sunday Services, it would be good to see some more attend. We've got a few good ones coming up including some track time at Silverstone National in March and a visit to the Morgan Factory in April (but you didn't hear it from me)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:01 pm 
New Poster

could be worth checking the wheel bearings, only mention it as mines been laid up for a year and was advised to move the car occasionally or take it off the ground to stop the bearings getting flat spots.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:39 pm 
Clubman

I haven't actually done anything to the car yet but was with it at the weekend making a list of bits I need and moved the battery box which is in the boot on the passenger side under the strut brace. I noticed that there is an OE looking loom running there and the wires are frayed. What is the loom in question? I assume it goes to the fuel tank, would it be for the gauge? (fuel light used to stay on for no reason) or the fuel pump (sometimes when accelerating hard it would pop and bang)

I'm hoping sorting this loom will cure at least one of the above problems.

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:08 pm 
Club Staff

There is a bit of the loom that runs to the fuel tank on the passenger side in the boot, most of it is under a white thin and narrow plastic cover.