www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 am

Post subject: Re: Celica sluggish
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:12 pm 
WRC

Car Model: ST205
with the boost controllers 5 - 5.5 seconds is easy if you want it to be. haha

Yes the one problem with a four with all the insides in is that its so large and to be fair, pretty solid with regards to the door thickness etc that it can feel slower than it actually is.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:39 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Yeh it's strange isn't it. My little 130bhp mx5 made you feel like you were flying. After 3rd gearbinvthis it just feels like a normal car but that must be a weight and comfort thing. I don't know exactly what it is that makes it feel slow though probably just the weight. Oh well iv finally got round to getting the decat and filter on so il get the boost controller fitted in the next couple weeks and see if I feel a difference.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:30 pm 
WRC

boost controller makes one hell of a difference, not even the same car after cranking the boost
Yeah its definately a size thing, I have been driving mine since I was 19/20 and its only the second car i owned but when you look at the rev counter and speedo compared to normal cars they can fly with a bit of tweaking here and there.

Our mate has the new mx5 and was like yes its really fast.... I said, are you on crack? haha

He took me out and my word it screamed and screamed and sounded like it was going but the rev counter and speedo moved slower than a snail. haha

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 pm 
Clubman

They are great cars though I had a mk1 mx5 and I would take another in a heartbeat. Slow as *bleep* though lol. I would feel like I'm flying down the road at the point of losing control then you'd look to your right and a diesel ford focus would be strolling past you. Great fun though and so easy to put sideways. After hearing that I am very much looking forward to cranking the boost I don't know why iv been so lazy. Small problems keep popping up with it instead and take my time. I will have to get it done though.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:44 pm 
Group N

I noticed a nice change when I fitted my EBC and cranked it to 1.1 BAR I must admit. I do think though that the 4WD system delivers the power very evenly so you don't get the chassis movement that you get with 2WD, as well as absorbing some of the lovely power as well. I find I am enjoying the car most when I'm caning it out of a corner and all 4 wheels are breaking traction, but in a straight line it's not quite a thrill ride compared to some like the examples you gave. I used to think my Metro GTa was the fastest thing on wheels when I was a nipper! Ahh, memories.
Actually, my Golf TDi feels pokier out of 3rd with all it's torques, but as with most diesels it's all over in a blink.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:31 pm 
WRC

seanyboy wrote:
They are great cars though I had a mk1 mx5 and I would take another in a heartbeat. Slow as *bleep* though lol. I would feel like I'm flying down the road at the point of losing control then you'd look to your right and a diesel ford focus would be strolling past you. Great fun though and so easy to put sideways. After hearing that I am very much looking forward to cranking the boost I don't know why iv been so lazy. Small problems keep popping up with it instead and take my time. I will have to get it done though.

Yeah my mate had an S reg mx5 , hes the Carbotech brake pad manager and he did a nice supercharger conversion and mapped it all up himself, got dyno at 240 odd bhp and my god it went well, when we went to cadwell it was raining a little and it was wheelspinning in 4th gear. haha

But he got rid of it for his old favourite the Evo, always had evos, sold them and always gone back to them.

Think his is the reason our mates standard one felt so boring, Ians was just so so much fun with the charger attached to it.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:50 pm 
Clubman

Yeh I know what you meen lorro I suppose you can't have the best of both worlds though unless you can afford something exotic. I still wouldn't give up the 4wd grip deep down but there's always that wee niggle for something drifty. I know what you meen about diesels too even my work van feels fast for about 500 rpm each gear lol.
I always planned on turbocharging my mx5 dale but time and cost meant I never done it. A nice boosted mx5 definately sounds like one of the most fun cars arround. Stevie whitson the subaru tuner stays round the corner from me and he is running a 350 bhp mk2 mx5 at the moment and his son says it's something else. It's very hard pretending I'm not jelous.