www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 pm

Post subject: Loose front wing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:43 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Does any one know all the places my front wings should be secured to the car? They both seem a little flimsy at the bottom as if there are a couple bolts missing but I don't see anywhere to secure them. I'm sure this looseness is what has caused a crack in the paint on my wheel arch. Is it normal for them not to be secured at the bottom? They are bolted at the top and to my bumper as far as I can see. I hope someone understands what I meen here. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Loose front wing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:53 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
From what I remember they only connect to undertrays and wheel arch liners between the wheel and the radiator support crossmember. They do always feel a little wibbly wobbly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:55 pm 
Club Staff

This is one area where the non-JDM front splitters help as these have a fixing on both the wing and the bumper which help to tie to the two together.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:02 am 
Clubman

Yeh they do only connect to the under trays as far as I can see I was hoping I was wrong here. Kind of a terrible design I think as I'm pretty sure that's how I cracked the paint on the lip of my arch. It's actually happend on both sides now. Probably from hitting a kerb and bending it in or leaning on it trying to reach something in the engine. It's getting fixed anyway but still a bit crap. I might try and weld up a wee strengthening bracket to help in the future. Has this happened to anyone else or just big clumsy me? Thanks for confirming guys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:32 am 
Club Staff

If the wing is bolted up on top and to the front bumper with the OEM bolts and bumper bracket it should be fine. Without the support of the front bumper it is free to flap around. We spent a bit of time trying to get a quick release mechanism for the track car front nose/bumper but the limiting factor was the complete absence of stand-alone rigidity in the wing. I've never had any problem with the paint cracking on the wings of my ST205's. I'd suspect something else has caused that.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:59 pm 
Junior WRC

there is another bolt few inches below side indicator that kinda bolts to the door pillar/frame.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 pm 
Junior WRC

there is also 1 or 2 side by side inline with the side indicator right at the bottom which bolts upwards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:31 pm 
Clubman

Thanks for the help. I know what you meen about the front bumper keeping it rigid tracktoyfour but I have a c-one fiberglass bumper and I think this is why it isn't so rigid. Il get in the wheel arch and have a proper look for missing bolts but I don't think il find any as it's the exact same on both sides. It's definately the flex that's caused the cracking though as the crack is exactly on the bend point if you push on the bottom of the wing. Should be easy enough to sort with a bracket anyway and thanks for the help guys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:14 pm 
Club Staff

Ah, you have a C-One front bumper! :D If it's the original C-One rather than the RT Performance version they are very lightweight. The RT item is stronger but a bit heavier. I have also fitted the RT front undertray/splitter and also reinforced it with a Jabroc resin impregnated plank as the GRP probably wouldn't survive too long on its own. Probably a bit like overkill for a road car but the C-One/RT bumper flat lower edge lends itself to a flat undertray/splitter which helps stiffen things up. Just a thought.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:15 pm 
Clubman

It was actually imported with the bumper in place so I have no idea whether it is genuine or not but it's definately fiberglass and definately thin lol. How would I go about buying/making one of these under trays? Could be a worth while upgrade as mine are all hanging off lol