www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:26 am

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:02 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
I've been accumulating spare sub-frames and suspension arms for some time now with the idea of refurbishing them as spares for my road-going ST205WRC as well as the track toy project. Some of these were heading for the skip until I intercepted them. I've learnt the hard way never to throw any parts away even if they are in poor condition!

The old suspension arm bushes were removed by Barry at RaR, I did try and remove them using the same technique as I used on the subframe bushes i.e. heat the internal metal sleeve until it either drops out or can be punched out with the scaffold pole and mallet. N.B. I did NOT burn the rubber out although the rubber did accidentally ignite on a couple of occasions! The diff carrier bushes are not listed separately in the EPC so I've acquired a set of poly bushes from Louis at Brooks Racing Development (BRD). I want to keep the ride quality so plan to fit the OEM bushes I received in the TRD suspension kit supplied by TTE in 1998. If I eventually get around to refurb the hubs then poly bushes are the only option apart from the so-called 'spherical bearing' on the lower hub bracket. This bearing is still available from Toyota.

RaR organised the media blasting, prep and powder-coating very quickly and efficiently. The repair work to the subframe suspension mount is hardly noticeable . Saving this subframe was quite fortunate as its in better condition than the other rear subframe. I also intend to treat the interior of the subframes with Bilt Hamber S50 Dynax cavity wax and plug the holes with rubber/plastic plugs.

ST205 Subframes

Front subframes x 2 and two sets of rear subframe front leg plates

Front subframes after treatment and powder-coating

Rear subframes x 2

OEM Bushes removed using gas torch, scaffold pipe and lump hammer

Collateral Damage to rear subframe suspension pickup

Damage repaired and subframe powder-coated

ST205 Rear suspension layout

Rear suspension arms x 2 sets plus Rear trailing arms x 1 set

Arms powder-coated and showing the different bushes for each location

Rear diff carrier after powder-coating and with BRD polybushes awaiting fitment

Front N-S suframes x 3

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:33 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185
Nice job :) funny how a number of people are stock piling parts nowadays. Guess it goes with the territory of having unique cars

"I want to enjoy the powerful and nimble agility behavior."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:46 am 
Group N

Subframes now looking nice n' shiny! Nice work.

I have just 'refurbed' the front frame, but dread to look closely at the rear as they are generally way more corroded. A winter project I think... But I have spent enough money this year on the front suspension and clutch (might have mentioned it once or twice!).

Can most of the rear arms be refurbed with poly bushes then, rather than replacing? What's the main expense if doing the rear subframe and arms etc?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:11 am 
Club Staff

Toyota only offer a couple of replacement bushes for the ST205 arms so polybushes are the only option in most cases. I'd say the main expense is buying the polybushes. Until recently most people have bought the polybush kit from the Polish guys (http://www.gt4-racing.eu/index.php/toyo ... ion-bushes). As you will see, the bushes don't come cheap :( The cost of refurbing the rear subframe by media blast, anti-corrosion treatment and powder-coat is around £100. I think Mixer72 (Louis) might offer some or all of the polybushes through his Brooks Racing Development (BRB) site on Faceache. I got the diff hanger bushes from him but have yet to fit them (they aren't available from Toyota). The other bushes visible in my pics were originally supplied by TTE with the TRD coilover suspension I bought from them years ago. Plan is to get RaR to press the new bushes into the subframes and arms. I've yet to decide if I'll do the hub bushes (where do I stop :?: :lol: )

Replacing the OEM bushes with polybushes will stiffen the car up and make it more responsive but the downside is that the Noise/Vibration/Harshness (NVH) will increase. My plan is to go for a hybrid solution where I fit OEM rubber bushes where available to counter the stiffer springs and damping of the TEIN SuperStrut suspension. I've also gone from 18" wheels with 235/40 Toyo T1R's down to 17" with 225/45 Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. The sidewalls of the Michelins are more than 50% taller than the Toyo's so hopefully will survive the speed bumps and potholes better and also protect my OZ wheels. The taller tyres will effectively act like an undamped spring. I already have a track ST205 so don't want another super stiff ST205!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:36 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
You may took a look at poly bushings in different stiffnes grades. The stiffness is measured in "Shore" and some companys offer differend grades, mostly differed by the colour of the PU material too. I recently met a guy from Poland who is the german distibutor of Strongflex, a manufacturer of poly bushings. He offered me to made all the bushings I´ll need if I could give him a sample and he would make it in the shore grade I wish.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:05 pm 
Group N

Thanks for the info. I am looking to keep the car drivable, whilst maintaining/improving the suspension enough for hillclimbs/sprints, and meeting the MSA regs for roadcars.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:22 pm 
New Poster

Looks really good. The underside of my car is looking a little neglected and in need of some surface treatments.

Literally didn't occur to me to buy a spare set of bits and get that refurbished before taking mine off...! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:56 pm 
Club Staff

Having a spare set of parts does make life a lot easier. The plan is to eventually end up with a set of refurbished parts that are available on an exchange basis. Steve Gillies currently offers exchange suspension arms through his GT4-Play page on FB see https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 277&type=3
Not sure if this extends to the subframes but it would be worth asking him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:18 am 
Group N

Car Model: None
Hiya Don

Looking good and ready for your refurb I will get over soon for the trailer, curry meet and a good old chin wag, october is completely a wash out so planning for November :-)

Martin

https://www.mkautorepairsandtuning.uk/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mk-Auto-R ... 7894641634

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:40 am 
Club Staff

Sounds good Martin. It's been handy having the trailer for odd jobs! I'm overdue an update on both my track build and the refurb. Look forward to seeing you next month and have lots to chat about too :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:48 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST165
I do indeed offer a service of rear control arms and trailing arms, Thanks Don for the plug.
There is a website which is always being added to when I get a chance to.
www.gt4-play.co.uk

I don't at this stage offer a service for the rear subframe but maybe one day :)

I have a complete set of ST165/ST185 and ST205 'In stock' ready to ship.

www.GT4-Play.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:55 am 
Club Staff

Steve, I have a spare set of ST205 front and rear subframes which have been completely refurbished and powder-coated if you are interested in acquiring for setting up a GT4-Play exchange service.

As a matter of interest, are the polybushes in your exchange parts the Polish ones (GT4-Racing)?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:59 am 
Group N

Car Model: ST165
Wow sorry Don I missed this...
The bushes are genuine 'Polybush'
I haven't heard great things about the polish bushes, along with what I have seen myself, I decided against using them.

www.GT4-Play.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:25 pm 
Group N

Hi I have just ordered most of these spares for a refurbishment job.

My question is where can I get the parts circled in this picture?

I know where to get polybushes and crush tubes, but not the other elements. I know the simple answer is to send them off to Poland or TCB, but I would like to have a go at fixing them myself. Further more if I am getting sub frame parts media blasted and powder coated etc, I may as well get the SSS arms done too. If I go that far, then why not try and sort the bushings out myself? I am hoping by the time I have got my frames powder coated BRD may be turning a full set of rear sub-frame bushes.

Any thoughts/advice on this approach

N.B. This link on you tube is a bit of an eye opener on a quick way to get bushes in place, Although I imagine most people have seen it already https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mKtcNmQ94

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:21 pm 
Clubman

Those ball joints are not user serviceable although as you say you can send the SS arms off to Poland on an exchange basis and get some refurbished ones.

Currently that's your only option unless you go to TCB for new SS suspension parts (other suppliers available but TCB usually cheapest).

Well - not quite the only option - you could always go MacPherson :)