www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:02 am 
Group N

Car Model: None
Hi Don
Ill take more pics as I go, no problem
I am going to get some one to fit the glass, I have the tailgate glass and the quarter glass but need a new front screen.

Im building a list of parts that are needed to finish off the job, so far:
Front bumper toyota emblem badge (lost)
Front mud flaps (some how ended with 4 rear ones)
2 off 3 spoke wheels, Ive had a set blasted and powder coated but 2 were quite badly pitted and the coating hasnt filled them adequately

I was painting last night as I wasnt happy with the paint in the tail gate shut, the top coat was very thin so I gave it a couple of extra coats.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:56 pm 
Group N

A few of the weekends work
All the parts have been replaced with new including the bump stops on the tailgate, the grommets, the gaskets for the spoiler etc.....
Putting the interior back in is a pain in the bum lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:28 pm 
Group N

Good condition spares are getting hard to find and condition is often overstated, having been sold parts as "MINT" they arrive and turn out to be average.
As a result I decided to give a leather restoration kit a go and tried it out on a steering wheel and gear knob

I bought new weather seals for the doors, well worth the expense

Fitted cleaned up door cards and rubbers

gave the rear lights a polish prior to fitting

fitted an original head unit

had a set of wheels blasted and powder coated

the flexi has split so I am in the process of grinding out the welds so I can weld in a replacement flexi section
I have the interior away for valeting and the bumper and lights are now fitted although it was piddling down and dark by the time I finished that so no photos yet.

Im hoping to collect a front screen and rear quarter glass at the weekend if I can borrow a car big enough to transport the scree. The Boxster has turned out ot be less than ideal for the car restoration hobby lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:24 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: ST185
Love the spoiler without the riser blocks. Looking forward to the end result Dave :)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:42 pm 
Group N

Thanks Martin
I have the blocks, just had then sprayed gloss black and bought the new gasket kit from TCB but I think I prefer the without blocks look.
Time will tell

I have made a right bugger of sticking the fabric down on the drivers side door card, need new fabric - any body???????????????????

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:34 pm 
Group N

Photos from the work this week
Re assembled the rear bumper and lights
Wheels in the their full glory
Ground the welds out of the old flexi and re assembled using a sleeve, easy to do and hopefully effective

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:02 pm 
Group N

Nearly there now.
Had a new front windscreen fitted and the old tail gate glass fitted plus the drivers rear quarter glass.
The fitter was to remove a good rear quarter glass from a car being broken and fit it for me as it was better than the passenger side glass I have.

He said there wasnt enough room to get down the side of the donner car and he also used generic seals on the front and rear glass.
Basically he was a lazy *bleep*
As a result the seals are a *bleep* poor fit so I will have them re done
I have removed the front seal from the donner car as it was a genuine Toyota seal and I have bought a new rear seal from TCB.
I have also repaired the passenger quarter surround so I am ready to find a decent screen fitter to finish the job.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:37 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Hi Dave,

Good move to fit genuine Toyota glass seals and surrounds. Generic look really crap. Mine needs doing but waiting till I do the full paint job .... eventually!

How did you manage to 'repair' the rubber on the rear passenger quarter glass surround? I'm intrigued :?:

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:14 pm 
Group N

Hi Don
Its rigid plastic rather than rubber
The chips were relatively small along the top and bottom so I roughed the surface up a bit with 600 grit and then used a u-pol body filler that sands down to a very high finish, plastic primered and then satin black top coat
Where the big piece was missing on the b pillar side I used a piece of plastic taped to the back to provide support whilst the filler was applied a layer at a time til it built up to fill the full missing piece and then layered it up from the back to encapsulate the plastic to provide additional bond
cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:36 pm 
Group N

So, just about there
Had another glass fitter come round on Saturday and fitter the passenger rear quarter and refitted the tailgate glass with a genuine Toyota seal, looks miles better
He is coming back this weekend to do the front screen

There are a couple of jobs to sort out, the instrument pod that was in the car had some plasma dials which I dont like so I replaced the unit with a standard one but the fuel gauge didnt register and the temp gauge went off the scale. I couldnt figure out why so I swapped the standard gauge froms from the stock cluster over onto the cluster with the plasma dials.
I have noticed that the idle revs are showing low so I need to reposition the needle slighty and the fuel gauge is slightly low as well. The biggest problem is that the speedo isnt registering
What a bugger!!
I found this out as I took the car round to the fuel station to see how £20 registered on the gauge and noticed the speedo not working. The car ran out of fuel before I got to the garage so I that had me panicking until I realised what had happened.

Where on the fuel gauge would you expect the needle to be with 20 ltrs of fuel???????????

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:48 pm 
Club Staff

I'd say 20 litres should be a shade under 1/3 of a tank.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:39 pm 
Group N

I thought so, its sat at a quarter so Ill adjust it when I adjust the rpm needle
cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:19 am 
Group N

So getting the glass fitter back has been a challenge, I have been on hols to India for a couple of weeks and his availability either side of my hols hasnt worked out so its over to Martin in Blackburn for MOT and for the front screen removing and refitting with a genuine Toyota seal.

I was able to add the car to my insurance policy for the Boxster with Elephant for £80 for 8months (to coincide with the Boxster renewal date. I was pretty happy with that!

MOT and Tax Saturday and we are (fingers crossed) on the road.
Its taken just over 2 years and a lot of money (we dont talk about the amount lol) but the end is in sight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:08 pm 
Club Staff

Excellent stuff - looking forward to some proper pictures of the finished article!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:09 pm 
Group N

I shall take some decent photos somewhere different to my garage / drive when the chance arises

Heres one to celebrate the car obtaining its MOT, being taxed and insured and having a well fitted windscreen seal
It drove perfectly to and from Blackburn, the only issue was the CEL throwing up a 42 fault, the speedo isnt working so further investigation required.
I used it over the weekend and for work on Monday but I noticed and felt something rotational on the drive home from the front offside so will check the wheel balance etc...........
Not bad really considering what has been carried out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next