www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

Post subject: Oh good - ringlands
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:44 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
Well that was short-lived! The dipstick is lifting and spraying oil out under anything like normal boost....nailed on I'd say.

Not worth fixing it as the body is not great, even if it is rust-free.

The full set of Polish refurb superstrut just turned up ...so if anyone wants to take that off my hands (or the whole car for that matter), please let me know asap.

Post subject: Re: Oh good - ringlands
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:38 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
:cry:

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:00 pm 
Clubman

This guys is talking about £1k without 'box & turbo which obviously I don't need...not a huge ask to transfer everything over, but is it worth it? I've asked for more details as they are bit skinny.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3sgte-engine-/171558597167?

The car would owe me £3.5-4k afterwards, and still need a bit of bodywork done, maybe get a bit back from tearing down the busted engine. I'm genuinely torn as I've loved being back in a GT4 again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:33 am 
Club Staff

Trouble is you have no idea whether the rebuild has been carried out correctly. If it has been done by the guy selling it then you have no comeback whereas if its been done by one of the well known 3S-GTE builders you would have more confidence and you have someone to speak to if it breaks. The engine in my JDM is a replacement but it hadn't been rebuilt. If you could find something like that then that would be ideal. Sirius has his old engine sitting gathering dust and it was still running OK when he removed it so it might be worth asking him if he wants to sell. That would be the ideal solution IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:10 am 
Clubman

Yeah you are absolutely right Don, not sure I'm getting a great feeling from the guy - mechanic did it for him blah blah, not forged pistons either, just re-ringed standard jobbies. Thing is is if the rest of work is right then it's probably a good deal at £1k. The trouble with buying a used engine is the wear & tear already gone into it....I guess you pays your money and take your choice. I'll PM Martin to see what he has too.

Cheers,
Jon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:20 am 
Group N

Thats the way, either the old engine from Sirius or ask Colin / Martin what they have
If they have one with a good engine that is going to be broken they will let you run it / test it before hand for piece of mind plus there is no way on gods earth that Martin is going to pass on a duff unit

Should you decide to cut your losses let me know what you are after for the lot
cheers
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:11 pm 
Clubman

Cheers Dave. I may be clutching at straws but I was trying to think what I've changed that may have caused a problem, and the only thing was fitting the catch can. I've hit full boost a few times previously and not had the dipstick/oil spray. The hoses are a bit of a bodge (just what I had in the garage/proper ones on their way) but step down to 12mm from 18mm, and I wondered if the can/filter is too restrictive for the PCV gasses (perhaps more suited to an n/a application)? I've removed them for now and just left the stock can venting to atmos, so shall see if any difference when I go out later. The only reason for doing the can install was, having cleaned the usual gunk out of the intake system, I didn't want it to return.

I'm not sure where my compression tester is but will obviously try to do one asap, even though I know it doesn't always show the problem with ringlands.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:47 pm 
Group N

good luck, worth a shot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:44 pm 
Club Staff

The standard 3S-GTE uses a positive scavenge system utilising the low pressure in the compressor intake to ensure the crankcase operates at a lower pressure than atmosphere. If you remove the hose between the black plastic catch can and the intake pipe you will lose this crankcase 'atmospheric depression' effect. I'd speculate that in your case this might have been enough to create crankcase positive pressure sufficient to lift the dip stick and spray oil under high boost.

On high mileage older engines which are worn and 'breathe' more heavily then, as you say, it is quite common to see oil residue in the hose between the catch can and the turbo compressor intake. Apart from the mess this oil mist leaves in the intake and charge cooler this can also increase the chance of engine detonation and possible piston ring land failure. My own engine is quite high mileage so I've kept the breathers and boost levels standard. It might be a tad boring but it means I can continue driving until a new engine is built.