www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:07 am 
New Poster

Car Model: ST205
After heavy rain my 1996 Celica GT4 (ST205) has developed a leak with water dripping from the interior roof light. I strongly suspect this is coming from the sun roof as there is nothing else above that point.

All I can see when I open the sun roof is the black sun roof frame and running gear and the rubber seal looks to be in good condition. Does the sun roof on the GT4 have the typical internal 'guttering' and drain holes? If so, can anyone tell me how you can access these - I am hoping they are perhaps blocked with 19 years of dust and silt (hope springs eternal eh?). I am (also) hoping that I will not need to remove the roof lining, but if I do any guidance/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:29 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
The sunroof does have drain holes. With it slid all the way back you should be able to see the drain holes in the two front corners of the drain pan. I think the tube from them travels down inside the A pillar (inaccessible) and exits inside the front sill.

Rear drain tubes exit in the rear sills, and can be seen if you remove the rear speaker trim pieces.

With the sunroof fully open, pour water into the drainage section at the front and you should see pretty quickly if it is draining ok.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:00 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: ST205
Thank you asdrewq. On closer inspection, I found the two forward drain holes, they are tucked right at the front of the opening under the roof edge. I cleaned the gutter as best I could and pumped some water down each drain hole using a washing up liquid bottle and collected it from the pipe exit behind the front mudguard. All runs freely now and water poured into the gutter now drains away quickly so hopefully the problem will be fixed.

Thanks again for your help and advice.