www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

Post subject: Delaminated crank pulley
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:49 am 
Clubman

Car Model: None
My crank pulley delaminated and threw the aux belt off on the school run yesterday. Luckily the one off the 3SFE breaker car fit, some small differences but not anything worry about. Hard graft as usual to get the pulley bolts cracked. Is this an isolated occurrence or just the age the cars are getting to now? Are solid alloy versions still frowned upon for lacking the harmonic dampening feature?

Cheers,
Jon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:06 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
It may just be age, but probably more likely it's been weakened by using the wrong type of puller tool. They should be pulled by the threaded holes in the inner part of the pulley, not with the 'hook' type ones on the outside.

I personally wouldn't use a solid pulley on a road car, and preferably not on a competition car either unless I knew at what RPM's the crank is resonant to avoid holding at those RPM.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:12 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Any pics of the delaminated pulley? I guess as the cars are around 20 years old now this sort of thing might occur more frequently. Regarding solid pulley designs I'd stick with the OEM pulley as harmonics can be pretty unpredictable.

Back in 2011 Aston Martin's ill-fated AMR One LMP1 prototype Le Mans car didn't even last 24 minutes never heed 24 hours when the harmonics destroyed first the aluminium alternator drive pulley then, when they replaced this with a steel one the harmonics broke the crank pulley. By Aston's own admission they were doing the engine development on track, not on the dyno like the better funded teams such as Audi, Porsche etc.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp