www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 pm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:08 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
You know those days when you have a couple of spare hours to do some work, and wished you hadn't bothered :lol:

Changed my droplinks and investigated the re-occurrence of superstrut symptoms, to find the ball joint on the 'nana arm has failed on the Polish 'refurb' arm after less than 1k miles...so we'll see how good the customer service/warranty is.

Then snapped a wheel stud re-installing the wheel! Only half a tin of beans so I guess just metal fatigue. Luckily the other 4 have good torque on them so daily driving I think will be okay as long as the car isn't pushed too hard. Can the stud be changed in situ with the aid of heat and a big hammer, or is it a pressing out job? I'd be tempted to do all 5 if the latter, given the cost vs. time ratio.

Also have various oil leaks down the back of the engine which I can't for the life of me pin down. More than likely multiple sources. Getting to the point of handing it over to Martin as it's getting me down a tad.

Cheers,
Jon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:12 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Replacing wheel studs is a DIY job. If you do a search there's a very recent thread covering this subject and a link to a related article on one of the MR2 forums.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:59 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
Sorry to hear of you woes, maybe keep some tracker bars in your tool kit for next time :wink:

Oil down the back of the engine?- have you had the cam cover seals replaced at any point, I had the same problem we discovered it when we went to change the spark plugs and the leads were dripping in oil+oil everywhere!!!!!!

As for the thread Don mentioned, it's this one viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7281

I needed extended studs to fit my toora wheels, which I haven't yet got around to as I just went and bought part worn tyres. All the links should help though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:22 pm 
Clubman

jon_st205 wrote:
Changed my droplinks and investigated the re-occurrence of superstrut symptoms, to find the ball joint on the 'nana arm has failed on the Polish 'refurb' arm after less than 1k miles...so we'll see how good the customer service/warranty is.

Very good in my experience, just be sure the arms they send are ok before you fit them. I get the feeling they are a bit of a cottage industry & their QA checks aren't that great. :lol:
There was an almost imperceptible movement on the lower arm center joint in the set they sent me. Stupidly I fitted it anyway thinking it would be a hell of a lot better than what I had on there - After 6 months it was knocking badly.

GT4-racing sent me a replacement in the post no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:15 pm 
Clubman

Cheers, yep hats off Paul is sending a replacement. Looks like it was a dodgy rubber boot and the joint has quickly died.

Stud ordered, looks an easy enough job.

Sometimes its worth the pain and skinned knuckles though as the guy in the brand new q3 found out today :)