www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

Post subject: Basic noob questions...
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:01 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
...flame suit at the ready!

Got the GT4 ST205 on a bit of a whim, was looking at other cars and out of the blue saw mine and fell in love without doing the usual background research I would normally on a car! So a bit down on knowledge...anyway first things first get the basic service done, bought Toyota OEM fuel and oil filters and ordered some 5w40 Millers but not entirely clear on what sparks to get? Also, I have previously used copper core as I service cars regularly, twice a year, so there is no benefit to having iridiums, is that an option on the GT4?

I am planning adding a Gizmo boost controller taking it up to about 300bhp in the next month or so, so what sparks should I go with? Car has a straight through japspeed exhaust on it and K&N panel filter and is a 1995 car.

Had a bit of a search but couldn't turn up an answer for something with above factory boost.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:12 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: None
NGK BKR7EIX (iridiums) work well and are pretty long lived. Copper plugs are fine but don't last very long at all in a boosted engine (ie. need changing every couple of thousand miles max - bit of PITA with the charge cooler core in the way).

Take care with the fuel filter as it's very easy to make a mess of the bottom union - IME it's not worth changing it anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:14 pm 
Group N

Thanks Jon, I am doing the job with my Dad who has run his own mechanics company for 50 years so he is pretty handy and has plenty of tools for the job, will assess the fuel filter and see if its worth it, I think it was changed last year anyway. On my R33 prior to the GT4 it was a 3 minute job didn't realise when I ordered one what a PITA it is to change!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:28 pm 
Club Staff

There's a wealth of technical info and 'How To' articles on our sister site at www.gtfours.co.uk There's even detailed info on spark plugs: http://www.gtfours.co.uk/what/colder_pl ... _plugs.htm

If it's not already running Toyota ForLife red coolant in the engine and charge cooler I would drain and change over to that. It's anti-corrosion qualities seem to be superior to anything else. This is a collective view, not just my own experience.

One point I did pick up in your other thread on the Greetings section are the braided brake lines. On the ST205 fitting braided brake lines to the front superstrut suspension is quite tricky as the routing is critical to avoid stressing the lines with the strut's arc of movement. I've seen quite a few failures on different makes of braided lines. Might be worth checking.

One word of caution, if you are planning on raising the boost then the OEM pistons which are of the hypereutectic type (not forged) can experience ringland failure due to detonation. You might get away with it as your engine is low mileage. On my 300bhp ST205 I ran a 50:50 water/methanol injection to keep air charge temps down in the plenum. If this airlocks or fails then you can det the engine and break the ringlands. Eventually this happened to me on track day at Buntingthorpe.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:30 pm 
Group N

Thanks will head over to those links for a look, and also check out the lines

I read in a few places that raising PSI to 17 was pretty much safe on a stock GT4?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:34 pm 
Club Staff

Yep, 1.2bar is generally OK. My original UK ST205 was one of the original 100 cars brought into the UK and it had a relief valve fitted as 'stock' possibly for demo or press review purposes :twisted: I was running around with 1.2bar for ages without realising it wasn't standard. This was a long time ago I hasten to add!

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:41 pm 
Group N

OK, thanks again, I wasn't looking for anything above what people might run anyway on a stock engine.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:54 am 
Group B

I run copper plugs and my workhorse one has done many tens of thousands of miles without plug change being required.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:59 am 
Group N

Cheers guys, I ordered both copper and iridium so I have a set of each ready for the service on the weekend and will send back what I decide not to use.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:34 am 
Group N

Where can I buy the ForLife coolant? Is it now called LongLife?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:54 pm 
Club Staff

I usually get my Forlife from Toyota, it's not too pricey and TBH, why risk anything else just to save a few pennies. It might have changed name but my Toyota guys still know what I mean when I ask for Forlife!!!
There have been many debates over the years about what's best but after more than 15 years of GT4 ownership it seems that the least problematic coolest is definitely Forlife.

Super White JDM ST205
http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Some people are like a Slinky .. Not really good for anything, but they make you smile when you shove them down the stairs!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:15 pm 
Group B

Having seen inside a few engines which have been run on forlife, and a few that haven't I wouldn't use anything else.

You can buy the readymix from TCB (www.tcbparts.co.uk). My local Toyota only sells the concentrate which really should be mixed with demineralised water rather than tap water.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:39 pm 
Group N

Yes its called Long Life, had a name change a few years back by the looks of it. Ordered some.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:05 pm 
Clubman

You can also get the Forlife concentrate from genuineserviceparts.com:

http://genuineserviceparts.com/collecti ... =746170831

£24.99 for 5L delivered. Add an extra £2 for some de-ionised water from Halfords and it works out a fair bit cheaper than the premixed stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:19 pm 
Group N

Thanks mate, pre-mix already enroute unfortunately!