www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:16 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:26 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
You are basically choosing the parts of the document that fit your argument and ignoring those that don't.

A couple of other points - you are quoting the wrong document, it is the 18th Edition that is now in use:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/in-service-exhaust-emission-standards-for-road-vehicles-18th-edition

Also - nowhere in that document does it say that vehicles in the annex have to be a 'match' or 'exact match' it only uses the term 'mentioned'.

Finally on your above picture - the VIN shows that it is an ST202 by the presence of the number '2' after the STL on the ST205 it has a '5' in the same location.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:59 am 
Junior WRC

That's where its ambiguous because it later states "Once the preliminary checks have been carried out and the Tester has identified the
vehicle model in the Annex to this booklet".... They used the word MODEL. << from the 18th edition.

I don't know, I did ask them in writing but they never got back to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:04 am 
Junior WRC

Sirius wrote:

Finally on your above picture - the VIN shows that it is an ST202 by the presence of the number '2' after the STL on the ST205 it has a '5' in the same location.

Sorry, not with you. What do you mean? STL2 does not form part of the last 7 digits.

JT164STL200000000 - St202 frame number (uk)
ST205-0003xxx - ST205 frame number (JDM) (my frame number)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:43 am 
Junior WRC

I know the following is well outdated but... (i'm tempted to ring the number at the bottom or email AGAIN)

I drive a Japanese Import 1994 Nissan Skyline GTS25t and I'm due to have my car MOT'd soon. Any garages I have contacted insist on putting the car through a CAT-test due to it's age, and the fact that it says R33 Skyline in your database. What doesn't appear to be listed though are the different variants with their different engines, just the assumption that all R33 Skylines are identical. I have a section of the MOT Inspection Manual, which, in section 6.4, has a flow chart that clearly states that my car should be put through a non-CAT test.
I understand that the test station check my vehicle details against the emission limits in the database and if there is no exact match for my vehicle then it should go through a non-CAT test using the default limits for a 1994 vehicle. The default limits are CO<=3.5% and HC <=1200ppm.

There doesn't seem to be any indication of which engine is in the Skyline you have on the database, therefore, I feel there is no EXACT match and should go through a non CAT test using default limits.

I would be really grateful if you could check my car details for me.

Model: Nissan Skyline GTS25t
Engine Code: RB25DET
VIN NUMBER: ECR33******

Could you please clarify the situation for my car.

Best Regards
Dan Brittain

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: MOT Test for Japanese Import
From: ian.byrne @ vosa.gov.uk on behalf of Enquiries @ vosa.gov.uk
To: StuartTheFish@*******.com

Thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry you are experiencing difficulties regarding testing your vehicle for emissions. The garages should really know the correct procedures and regulations which are clearly stated in the MOT testing manual.The MOT test regulations specify that an 'exact' match is required for a CAT test. From the information provided by you the vehicle details are NOT an exact match to those listed in the 13th edition of the In Service Exhaust Emission Standards for Road Vehicles and as such would require a NON-CAT test to the default limits you correctly specify in your message.

Ian Byrne,
Customer Service Centre(Contact Centre) Swansea
Tel:- 0870 60 60 440

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:27 pm 
Club Staff

The most important sentence in the above is:

chap from VOSA said wrote:
The garages should really know the correct procedures and regulations which are clearly stated in the MOT testing manual

Vote with your feet and find somewhere that will apply your interpretation of the rules on the test.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:24 pm 
Club Staff

C'mon Rob, you are an electronics guy!

You should know by now that any spec or test procedure is not worth the effort to produce it unless at least two sections contradict each other and allow for completely different interpretations

Test procedures especially should be considered suspect if there is only one clearly defined method documented!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:30 pm 
Junior WRC

"Extended emissions test
As indicated above, an extended emissions test will be applied where the limits are
not met under the basic emissions test and where the vehicle has been identified as
needing to meet the “catalyst” test requirements. These will include petrol-fuelled
cars fitted with advanced emissions control systems (e.g. vehicles with catalytic
converters) first used on or after 1 August 1995, (2) petrol fuelled cars first used on or
after 1 August 1992 which are listed in the Annex to this booklet and large passenger
cars and light goods vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1994 and listed in the
Annex to this booklet"

the word "mentioned" and "listed" interchangeably.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:26 pm 
Junior WRC

From the gov site..

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... hicles.pdf (issued August 2014)

Section 7.3 - flow chart (p.s. I'm a software engineer, I like flow charts..)

Note the use of the words "exact match"

I believe this is the the document that is more commonly used and what dispels the ambiguities of the 18th edition document as this covers the whole MOT process.
I have seen many replies from VOSA floating around the ether stating and quoting the above flow chart. This has to be the correct interpretation as it comes from the horses mouth.
I have yet to get a response from them myself (i emailed them again) not that anything should change..

Last edited by niblettr on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:52 pm 
Junior WRC

then on page 12 of section 7.3 it says
"The vehicle specific test limits should be identified using the annex to the current edition of the "In Service Exhaust Emission Standards for Road vehicles" (stored on the EGA database) and the flow charts on page 9 - 11."