www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:41 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Both my usual tester and the Halfords at Poole let JDM cars up to August 95 go without the cat test.

My usual tester told me what I wrote in my post above. His predecessor had insisted on a cat on his last MOT on my 205 (a few years ago now), but had previously let it go without.
Halfords were dithering (I took a 205 in for a friend) and had a vauge feeling about the rule, and I confirmed it pointing out the lack of EGR.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:37 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
I guess that really illustrates the fact that it's open to personal interpretation. Worth having a chat with your tester Rob but if he says no your scuppered.

It's also worth remembering, as Don pointed out to me last night, that regardless of the finer points of test etiquette if the car was warmed up fully there's an underlying problem highlighted by those numbers as the Lambda is off. We're it not for that it might have passed under its own steam. I have heard of decatted cars making it.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:09 am 
Junior WRC

Ok, thanks guys.
Like I said, I have gone back to the standard lambda. I soaked it in lemon juice for 24 hours then cleaned with carb cleaner.
We shall see what happens. Incidental, they passed the other 2 cars the week before (mondeo and 206 GTI) without find any mysterious phantom faults... They seemed good and very friendly..
Its the Forge garage in Winton. Anyone dealt with them?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:13 am 
Junior WRC

Yes, mine did pass the cat test a few times without a cat by the skin its my teeth. I remember them saying they had to give it the beans in order to squeeze it through. The test done just now was done with engine properly warmed up, (I warmed her up) then tested almost immediately.

I suspect the wideband with the adaptor plate does not let the sensor tip sit far enough into the exhaust stream. It is a brand new wideband.

On the re-test would it be a good idea to leave the air filter off or is that asking for trouble? Does it help?

Also, what is the idea of changing the oil? How does changing the oil improve emissions?

Any other tricks? Alter the timing? I set my timing for 10 degrees.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:19 am 
Junior WRC

Also, Chris, does Alex have a cat on his MR2 when he gets his MOT done? Is he on here?

Last edited by niblettr on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:46 pm 
Group N

Why not adjust your wideband simulated (narrowband) output to bring the values into spec ? It's too rich, according to there test equipment, bring lambda back up to 1.00 on their setup and see how that helps the CO% value ?

Or if everything else engine wise is good, then unplug o2 sensor to the ecu. The 185 edu then uses maps alone without fuel trim to compensate the reading it gets from its o2 sensor to give lambda 1.00 ?
Doing that on my CS I see the wideband report bang on 14.7:1 ie lambda of 1.00 on my meter. So the stock fuel map at idle is mapped to be right. I'd expect the 205 to be the same. However different air filter or cams !!!! Might not mean it's right on your car.

Darryl

Darryl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:11 pm 
Junior WRC

Hi, I don't have the option to change offset of in narrow band mode. Changing the setting in wideband mode to simulate a narrow band is beyond me so will leave that alone. Thanks for the non narrow minded approach though :)

I'll bear disconnecting the sensor input to the ecu in mind. Im on stock cams and filter box (although after market panel filter inside) Everything is stock except pistons, air filter panel and boost controller.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:51 pm 
Junior WRC

Well, I tried to tell them about the chassic number and they were having none of it. There are 2 number, one starts with ST205 and the other on the silver plaque starts with EST205. He did the re-test with the old settings he had loaded (he didn't even bother to look and the number I was talking about) and of course it still failed.

Oh well, never going back there again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:55 pm 
Junior WRC

I used to go to St.Pauls in Xchurch, passed the emissions and they said, "ei, you don't need a CAT, you can take it off for some extra performance" So I did and the following year the same tester said it failed emissions even before the test because there was no CAT fitted. I felt like punching him!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:20 pm 
Group N

If the Hob Nobs fail try South Coast Workshop, they have an MOT tester who is knowledgeable about these cars and knows the ins and outs of the decat situation. Emsworth isn't too far to travel from Bournemouth, to get an expert MOT assessor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:38 pm 
Group B

BecauseRaceCar wrote:
If the Hob Nobs fail try South Coast Workshop, they have an MOT tester who is knowledgeable about these cars and knows the ins and outs of the decat situation. Emsworth isn't too far to travel from Bournemouth, to get an expert MOT assessor.

If it's the same 'friendly' garage that did my celica, they gave me an advisory for rust underneath - not something that's desirable on an mot history, especially when not true.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:40 pm 
Group B

My usual tester is 'Bere Regis MOT & service centre'. Not a 'friendly' tester as such but he knows the rules.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:09 am 
Junior WRC

Yep, will be taking it there next week. That's the one I have been taking it for the last 2 years, recommended by you Chris. No issue with no CAT from them :)
I just tried to take it somewhere more local, oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:02 am 
New Poster

My Gt-Four failed its test earlier in the year. Bought a second hand cat, new cap/rotor and plugs gaped to 0.6mm. Think it got close to around 0.4 on the CO. The car had been on old fuel for 6 months and had a flat battery so the ECU more than likely was running a little rich as well. Problem with no M.O.T and tax is that you can't really run it for the ECU to relearn and flush through the new fuel!

I got this from Toyota with a copy of Japanese Emission Standards.

They put me through on a non cat test. At least now I do not have to mess about swapping out my De-Cat for M.O.T I will just give them this letter.

Even still my first fail was 0.6% CO. 1.44 is a little high so I would be looking as to why it is high first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:20 pm 
Group B

Add Elite (Hi Q) on West Howe ind. est. (Elliot Rd.) to the list that do a non-cat test. My auto just failed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next