www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 am

Post subject: EML and fuel needle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:20 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST205
...they say things come in threes, well after 2 months of trouble free driving had two things happen at once today.

Started up the car, let it idle a few minutes and as I moved off engine light came on. I stopped, switched off the car for 30 seconds started it back up and it was gone. So drove to where I was going, about an hour no problem car drives fine. Car sat in car park for about an hour, then same thing, got in started it up as soon as I engaged a gear on comes the light. Switched it off, started up no light and fine driving for the hours drive back home.

Car has decat on it so not sure if its sensor related, does this sound familiar to anyone?

Secondly, driving along and the fuel needle just falls off! Sat there in the dash cluster on the bottom of it! I think I have about 1/5th of a tank left as it came off at 1/4 and I did about 20 mins driving afterwards. Does the needle go on a particular way or do I have to brim the tank and then pop it on so its set to FULL?

Dread to think what number three will be...

Post subject: Re: EML and fuel needle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:34 pm 
Club Staff

Hi Col,

The first place to start would be a check for error codes - you only need a paperclip and a few minutes for this. See here:

http://www.gt4dc.co.uk/info/howto/ecu/ecu_error_codes.htm

For the fuel needle - I am not sure, your idea of brimming and then replacing seems sensible to me.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:00 pm 
Group N

Thanks pal, will have a crack at that tomorrow night after work

Pretty sure I saw a dash removal guide somewhere also, will set about sorting that too - the other option is I fill a jerry can, drive until it runs out then fit the needle at ZERO haha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:18 am 
Group N

Oh and I presume I am going to have to remove the dash to get at the needle that fell off - is there a guide to this? Also is there anything else worth doing whilst its out, on my R33 previously I changed the LEDs to some super white ones which really made a big difference, is it the same with the GT4?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:56 pm 
Group N

Got a code 54 come up on the diagnostic...seems like the intercooler pump bearing replacement is in order according to the website

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:21 pm 
Club Staff

I've just replied on your other thread :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:58 pm 
Group N

Brilliant ta done that, lets see how she goes tomorrow night!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:58 am 
Group N

Try this link out for sorting the needle issue. Although it based on the ST185 GT-Four, I'm sure the processes are similar. I couldn't find a pre-written "How to" four the ST205.
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=48848

Last edited by BecauseRaceCar on Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:59 pm 
Group N

Well - took the dash plastics out, was easier than I thought took a few minutes.

Filled up the car, left the engine running and put the fuel needle on. Switched off the engine and it stayed on full - can someone tell me, does the fuel stay 'live' at all times or does it drop to zero when you switch off the ignition, I can't remember?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:17 pm 
Club Staff

The gauge should drop I believe.

Barry can have a look at this next Sunday down at SCW. Hopefully it will be a simple fix.