www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 pm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:06 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
I am at my wits end trying to locate this noise. Replaced wheel bearing, checked brake pads, I even wound in the pistons so the pads were not touching the disc but still getting the noise. One thing I did notice is that my power steering pump is leaking so maybe that could be causing the noise although I can not replicate the noise while stationary.

It only happens while moving and happens at around 3k RPM. The noise gets faster as you go through the gears but always starts at 3k RPM.

I have tried to capture the noise but my phone has trouble picking it up over engine noise.

https://youtu.be/reLS5z4Zmbk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:28 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
If I'm hearing the video soundtrack correctly the noise is intermittent? If you've replaced all four wheel bearings that would eliminate the usual suspects. It's notoriously difficult identifying the source of these noises. The ideal solution is a four-way microphone and headphone device where you can switch channels and thereby identify which area and component is the source of the noise. This was how I identified which wheel bearing had failed on my ST205. Might be worth seeing if there's a garage nearby which has this kit.

You could also try jacking the car up so all four wheels are free to rotate then run the engine and drivetrain up to 3000rpm to see if you can simulate the noise. This is commonly done on racecars to warm up the transmission before a race so it won't do any harm to the drivetrain. You'll just have to be careful to avoid spinning wheels and propshafts!

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:49 am 
New Poster

The noise is not intermittent and will happen at 3k rpm in every gear but the frequency of the noise gets faster as the speed increases so for example in first gear at 3k you hear what is in the video but in second the frequency gets faster, third faster still and fourth it is very hard to hear but it is there.

It sounds like it is coming from front right and have had a look underneath to check for rubbing but everything looks good. Only thing I did spot was my pas pump was leaking. Guess I will have to get it up on axle stands and get my mate to sit in the drivers seat while I poke around!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:13 pm 
Clubman

Front propshaft bearing?