www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another project
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:55 am 
Group N

Car Model: None
I was home in the afternoon yesterday and the tonne of sand blocking the drive was gone so I took the chance to see how / if the car drove
It took around 10 attempts to start the car and then only after fiddling with the position of the tps and the pre load on the throttle cable, something I had adjusted to the detriment at the weekend.
Once started I took the car round the block, bare in mind this is the first time I have driven this car since it was dropped off the transporter.
First impressions are, the clutch doesnt feel right, I cant describe it exactly but it was quite soft and not easy to get into 1st and when I reversed later on it ground the gears before going into reverse and then only after a couple of attempts and foot right to the floor.

Off the drive the road drops down hill quite sharply so it was straight into second and very light revs before a left to cut through the houses and then left again back up the hill. Once on the 75 metres back up the hil it became obvious that things arent right, the car struggled in second to produce and sort of power and more or less limped up the hill before it levels off and turns back left to my drive.
I stopped and put it into reverse to get on to the drive and found it very hard to get into gear plus it stalled as soon as any load was on the engine to reverse up the incline to the drive and took 3 goes and quite high revs to prevent it staling under load.
Once parked there was a bit of smoke from the engine bay which when I lifted the bonnet seems to be coming from under the turbo down pipe, could be the down pipe / flexi connection as I suspect the whole exhaust is leaking badly based on smell and sound

Question - could the timing be out a tooth?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:27 am 
Club Staff

I doubt one tooth has anywhere near that effect.

I'd like someone who knows to comment on the below but I would suggest running an extra temporary earth to the inlet manifold and ecu. Even for someone who doesn't want to bugger with electrics it should be doable.

Chassis is earth as is negative battery terminal.

It looks pretty normal and standard under the bonnet so no real clues there.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:54 am 
Group B

Reset the ecu, fire the car up then check for error codes again. If it's not reading sensors correctly then timing and especially fuelling will be way out.

The clutch could be a clutchmasters FX as these are very light and require more than standard pedal travel. Alternatively it could be a cracked / broken peal box flexing as you press the pedal (I've had this on my 185) or it could be the clutch needs bleeding. As a first step, get an assistant to push the cltch pedal in & out while you measure the movement of the slave cylinder piston. This should give a first clue as to whether the problem is in the pedal / hydraulics or whether it's the clutch itself. Hopefully the BGB will specify what this should be, if not someone will need to measure a good one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:43 am 
New Poster

Car Model: ST185
Hey up Dave, is your 185 an early model, if it is I have a spare ecu that you can test it with.

Just a thought with the clutch pedal, silly thought i know, but is the clutch fluid up to the mark and a decent colour ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:57 am 
Group N

Now then Martin?
I need to get the ecu out to check the serial number but yes, its an early (1990) car
Ill check the pedal box, clutch fluid, etc...... once the monsoon stops and I have light!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:17 pm 
Group N

Tried to start it this afternoon so I could move it to get to the passenger side and it wouldnt fire at all

I did check the pedal box, it looks like it has been welded in the past , there is no sign of cracking that I spotted and the clutch fluid is over the minimum mark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:13 pm 
Group N

Following a visit by Nial we decided the cam belt could have been a couple of teeth out on the exhaust cam so we decided to change the belt, tensioner and pulleys
I got the kit a week or so back and we did the job today, not the easiest job doing it on the car and out on the drive but we got there, didnt have the light to finish putting everything back plus the lambda sensor plug needs repinning but it was a good days work
also yesterday I removed the offensive and rusted exhaust and fitted up the new flexi , out of curiosity I hung a spare 205 back box and then fitted a 205 middle box, the middle box and flexi pieces are off angle to each other but they are close enough to think that a bit of heat, rebending and possible cut and weld and I think I can use the 205 back box and middle box with a 185 flexi
Added bonus is that the 205 back box looks factory on a 185, happy days

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:44 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Hope that improves things. Let us know the result.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:43 pm 
Group N

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: ST185
Hey up Dave, How is it going. Did the ecu help ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:55 am 
Group N

Hi Martyn
I put it all back together after the cam belt change but it still doesnt start, I put fuel in just to be certain lol and swapped the ecu's but no joy sadly.
The O2 wire is broken at the connector and Nial is repinning it for me, dont know if that will effect it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:17 pm 
Group B

The O2 sensor won't affect starting unless you have a short circuit heater in it.

If cam timing was a suspect, it is worth taking the cam cover off and checking the timing of the cam lobes acting on the valves. It's not unknown for people to fit an inlet cam to the exhaust for more power, but the timing will be way off if you then set it by notches on pulleys (inlet & exhaust would open at exavtly the same time).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:13 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Do you have a timing light to check that base timing is in the right neighbourhood?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:34 pm 
Group N

Yes, I do, I need a hand or need to get it to someone who knows what they are doing now to be honest.
I cant get it in my garage as it wont start so everything has to be done in the few minutes of dry daylight a weekend we get.
Because it wont run and cant be moved I cant get my daughters car into the garage to service and spruce up prior to selling it for her as she has moved out to Dubai and has no need for her Pug 206.
Starting to regret taking it on now but we do do these things dont we lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:34 pm 
Group N

This is now over at Martins as the fault turned out to be a fuel pump, fuel tank, fuel pipe related issue, ie, all were FUBARed

I had already picked up a tank from paulus on CCUK which Otis took over to Blackburn so on Friday I went and watched Otis do the hard work

having stripped off the subframe and anything else getting in the way, the brake and fuel lines were removed

then we started making up the new lines

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next