HKS adjustable gears
280L fuel pump
HKS SSQV dump valve
Aussie downpipe
Apexi Power FC
Fidanza Flywheel
6 puk clutch
Blitz dual boost controller.

All the runs were done in 3rd to reduce power demands on gearbox and bogging the system down

I've just been out to check for error codes - i get none - is this due to the Power FC?

I've noticed that when the turbo was clocked the preload was suspect - maybe worth a look too?

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, and the earth brought forth grass and the Rastafarians smoked it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:51 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Hmm,

3rd gear is potentially not enough load to spool a large hybrid. Do you know what spec compressor wheel it is

This would actually entirely agree with the results. Boost comes in late and lazy due to insufficient engine load to make it really work. Again though I'd happily submit to the opinion of Thor who know far far far more than me.

However, IMO this is probably exagerating the real cause of the problem (from what you just said)

Insufficient actuator preload coupled with suspect boost control could be causing this. If it's opening at (finger in air) 8psi then you need boost creep to get to the 1.2 bar desired. Again power comes in late and lazy. This is actually quite common and will produce the exact results you have so it's well worth further investigation.
How is the boost controlled.

Mike and JP (Sirius and Diceman) have both returned poor (in relative terms) dyno results due to boost creep issues. The problem is that creep (in your csae possibly caused by an underloaded WG actuator) means that you can't dial in huge amounts of solenoid in the midrange because it then overboosts at the top end. So you end up with boost and power building slowly and quite lazily up to 5000rpm. Sound familiar :D
It should be possible to cure this with a decent EBC which lets you adjust solenoid duty Vs RPM.
I have just remembered that I was going to lend my EBC to Mike to test this theory. Better get digitus extracticus on that

Finally what/who's car is this (PM if you want to keep it quiet LOL). I think I know but am now thoroughly confused.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:07 pm 
Junior WRC

Car Model: None
This was Uzthedentists car... I don't want to comment more than saying that it was never blown and the block wasn't replaced.

The boost is controlled by a Blitz dual EBC, i've also got an AVC-R that i could try.

It could be due to boost creap, so i've fitted a muffler to the 80mm pipe - to try and reduce it.

I will try and find something to block the turbo end of the pipe and apply a bit of pressure. I'll also put a pump on the actuator to see when it moves.

I hope i will be able to do this later.. maybe?

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, and the earth brought forth grass and the Rastafarians smoked it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:09 pm 
Club Staff

I belive this is Uz's old car no?

Steve - there's no immediate need for the boost controller as as my clutch has finally decided to start slipping and I am driving it like Miss Daisy :)

The swap is pencilled in for Easter Weekend :)

Back on topic I agree that it looks like some sort of boost creep type problem, might be worth getting the downpipe off and gently pressurizing the actuator to see what happens with the wastegate.

Nice peak figures though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:21 pm 
Junior WRC

This works out to be 373 at the flywheel. Not a bad starting point.

Shouldn't i be able to see the wastegate move from the outside when i apply the pressure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:06 pm 
Club Staff

Rob, if I read you correctly you're running 373bhp at the flywheel on stock pistons :shock: I'd be really concerned that the piston ring lands will fail at this level of tuning. We have enough collective experience of the 3S-GTE now to know that this will happen. Perhaps if you map it really conservatively then they might survive but IMO thats a slim chance.

Call me conservative but I'd want to detune the engine until you get the pistons changed.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:13 pm 
Junior WRC

This was my thought when Thor were mapping. I asked to stick to 1.2 bar max.
As you say there is a need to go for forged pistons, and this is now on the shopping list.
I'll be setting the EBC to 0.9bar for the time being, but before i get the forged bottom end, i need to fix this problem.
All this is quite new to me so I’m treading water a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm 
Club Staff

Glad to hear you're going to take it easy until you get the forgies fitted :)

Regarding your 'laggy' boost I think the suggestion you have a leak and are trying to boost the entire universe may have some merit :lol: With all the FMIC joints there are a few 'leak' candidates I guess. Other than that check the actuator moves at the right pressure as Mike has suggested. Do you know if you are still running a stock actuator?

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:45 pm 
Junior WRC

This is the detail from Fensports site:

Completely rebuilt using New Steel shaft and 48mm compressor wheel - rebuilt & balanced to racing standards, Choice of uprated actuator - 360 degree Thrust bearing. *Guide:- Our top of the range CT26, The choice for serious power, Ideal up to 1.5 bar boost, on cars with larger fuel injectors and forged pistons. Full boost is available from 3,200 rpm.power up to 360bhp.

I'm going to ring fensport to find out a little more about it - i hope to check the actuator and FMIC tonight or tomorrow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:11 pm 
Club Staff

Robbie - you briefly mention "code 54".

Could this also be a candidate for the drop in torque, possibly by the ECU pulling timing due to it seeing an "error", (I know you have a PFC).

Did you see the article I wrote on overcoming the code 54 when you fit a FMIC to a 205? Might help?

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:23 pm 
Junior WRC

Strange thing is when i short the pins - i get no flashes - is this related to the power fc?

Where's the docco Kris - is it on this site?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:28 pm 
Group N

Code 54 will only be an issue with a stock ECU though surely? I know the PFC has its own little set of error codes though that can be checked, no idea what they are though I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Mark

"Don't make me come over there"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:08 pm 
Club Staff

Robbie - I only have a limited understanding of the PFC, JP has much more knowledge.

I am just suggesting that there could be a problem with the PFC looking for the IC pump in a similar way to the stock ECU?

AFAIK if you short the pins (TE1 & E1) you do not get any error codes with the PFC, unlike the stock ECU.

The solution to the stock ECU code 54 is straihtforward and would be worth completing imho to ensure that this unknown is taken out of the equation? If you are short of the required resistors let me know and I'll put a couple in the post for you...

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:52 pm 
Junior WRC

Thanks for the offer of the resistors - i have some that'll do the job...

I'm going to shorten the actuator arm, and this should adjust the preload. I'll let you know how it goes..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:40 pm 
Club Staff

Rob,
No Code 54 witha PFC BUT teh check engine light will flash if teh level sensor is not bridged. You get no check engien codes with a power fc.

There is no way a 48 trim T04E compressor wheel takes that long to spool up when strapped into a TOyota CT26 Turbine section and trimmed wheel (Unless Fensport remove all teh turbine wheels in teh stock housing to get a low enough back pressure -JOKE!).

I also doubt this has much to do with boost creep, it is however a possibility - In which case I am seriously concerned Thor did not spot this or comment that they coudl not setup the boost controller to hold boost correctly. It has to be something simple m8. What does it do (boost creep wise) with teh EBC switched off?

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R