www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:50 am 
Clubman

Car Model: ST205
Booked my car in this morning to get it done, long story short, after 25 minutes the guy just gave up as he couldn't work out where to connect his equipment! Can anyone advise (with photo) if possible, where it should be hooked up. Or, if you've had it done, could you supply the agents name/number so I can get my guy to contact them direct for advice?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:21 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: None
I've never had it done and no experience but my understanding was it just plugs into a inlet manifold port.

Are you running water injection? From what I have seen this seems to combat carbon build-up in itself.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:29 pm 
Clubman

Engine is standard apart from Blitz air filter & dump valve. My engine expertise despite owning it for 10 years still hovers pretty close to zero! The main thing that seem to put him off was the charge cooler. Would this be hiding anything obvious like the inlet manifold port?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:44 pm 
Club Staff

Ah Sorry - Maybe I was confusing you with another Stephen! I thought you had a forged engine, big turbo etc.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:42 pm 
Clubman

Have now been directed to another Terraclean agent that has access to a ramp. Appointment made for next week. Apparently, many Japanese cars have the correct fuel line access underneath the car, or even behind the backseat near the petrol tank. Does this ring true at all?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:50 pm 
Club Staff

No, Not on a GT-Four.

The only sensible access to the fuel line is probably at the fuel filter in the engine or directly onto the fuel rail. Both of these locations are after the fuel pump so I assume the "terraclean" kit has built in pumps and that the service agent will know he needs to be unplug the fuel pump to stop fuel being squirted all over the hot engine bay.

IMHO if the "Agent" doesn't know where best to connect I'd walk away very quick, 3 litres of fuel a minute creates a very big fire!

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:12 pm 
Clubman

Well, have now been informed that it should be connected to the fuel lines off the fuel filter iirc. Also, you have to disconnect the fuel pump from the boot. Out of interest, how do you disconnect the fuel pump in the boot? (And, is the fuel filter located underneath the air filter?)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:14 pm 
Clubman

double post - can't delete! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:16 pm 
Club Staff

Fuel pump can be disconnected by pulling up the boot carpet and disconnecting the plug under the plastic cover.

Fuel filter is located in the engine bay, on passenger side and low down on the strut housing.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:56 pm 
Clubman

Brilliant, thank you. Have appointment next week with a different agent. At least I'll know what to look out for when he does it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:18 pm 
Club Staff

Think there are some posts on here and elsewhere about this. I am reasonably convinced that it is 'snake oil'.

The system doesn't appear to be used by any main dealers or recommended by OEM Manufacturers, neither has the process been subjected to any real scientific testing by MIRA or similar.

It is possible to remove the fuel injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow tested. This isn't that expensive and probably a better use of your money.

Just my 2p. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:59 pm 
Clubman

Thanks for your 2p worth LOL I was wondering if anyone would dip in to debate the merits of the treatment. I've been pottering around cars for over 35 years (I'm quite old!), and am familiar with the world of 'snake oil' treatment. Indeed, over the years, I've probably bought quite a few of them, from Slick 50, ZX1 oil treatment, Redex etc etc. However, I always maintain that 85% of any treatment outcome is the psychological boost I get in that it must do some good! I accept that the remaining 15% may, or may not work. From memory, the GT4OC had a thread over 20 pages long with the debate on this treatment! Besides, Edd China from Wheeler Dealers endorses it, and I like him :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:23 am 
Club Staff

It's your money :)

Interestingly a few years ago at the Autosport Show at the NEC Birmingham Terraclean had a large stand and Edd China was there etc.

I got chatting to a sales person on the stand and asked him why they hadn't done any proper validated testing on the product. His response was essentially that the machines and the service were selling like hot cakes anyway so why would they bother. That pretty much convinced me that it was BS.

However my apologies - the above isn't actually what you asked for. As I understand the product is applied via the fuel system, presumably that would mean interrupting the fuel supply from the tank, with the right fittings this could be done at the fuel filter which is in the engine bay on the passenger side attached to the chassis rail. I guess it could also be done at the connections underneath the rear of the car near the subframe, however these are generally in very poor condition and it is very easy to break them so I wouldn't choose those unless I had no other option.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:14 am 
New Poster

I would say the nature of the GT-Four and the amount of fuel it chucks in it wouldn't have much carbon buildup anyway? When my turbo let go I put an endoscope down my spark plugs and the crowns looked very good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:34 am 
Clubman

My car has covered 178,000 miles, and has never had anything major done to the engine, apart from a fully refurbed turbo last year as the original one expressed that it had enough! The 'clean' is little more than a treat for the old girl, and at worst, I'm sure it won't do it any harm, and at best, may help it through to the next 178,000 miles!