www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:47 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and new to Celica's. I just purchased an JDM ST205 and need to fix a few things. The previous owner said when he replaced the battery the blower, power mirrors, and clock stopped working. My immediate thought was "fuse is blown" but couldn't find any that were toast. I also replaced the blower relay and no luck. The PO had a wire from two terminals in the relay plug so that the blower was on low constantly so I know the blower works. Any thoughts?

A little background on me. I have a shop where I work on my motorcycles and an old BMW that I am restoring. So I have a bit of mechanical experience and a decent amount of tools but am by no means an expert mechanic. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know of a good site to buy parts for a GT4 (CV joints, diff mounts etc.)

Thanks!
Travis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:04 pm 
Group B

You will find the following helpful with fault finding.
There is a fusebox in the engine bay by the battery and also fuses below & right from the steering wheel.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1egI ... UFQNWJGOEE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1egI ... Fp3ZGVMME0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1egI ... zFXb29RRG8

If you need more help just ask.

One of the best places for parts is TCB in Cornwall. http://www.tcbparts.co.uk They sell more than is on the website, plus secondhand parts.
Also worth a PM to Betsy on here for some parts, plus Mixer on here does uprated diff mounts & engine mounts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:39 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Looks like the 15A CIG & RAD fuse would kill the clock and mirrors but I see no connection with the blower

Expect that fuse is in the cabin, probably in the fusebox in front of drivers right knee (RHD only)

However a battery swap shouldn't blow anything so I'd be expecting other issues to solve

Edited to add....
Does the ciggie lighter work

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:02 pm 
New Poster

Thanks for the help! Okay so I went through all the fuses and they were all good. Replaced a few anyway including the 15 cig/rad fuse, still no luck The list of things that aren't working are:
Power windows
cig lighter
blower (No heat either, may be separate issue)
clock
Not sure about radio because I don't have one.

Going to switch the 60A MAIN fuse and the DOME fuse and see if that does anything. Replaced a few relays while I was at it. I've been trying to decipher the wiring diagrams in the manual. Could it be an issue with the ignition switch? I'm stumped.

On another subject, when I bought the car it was making pretty loud blow-off noises which, having never drove a GT4, I thought was normal (It drove and ran perfect). Then when I was troubleshooting the above problem, I noticed that the hose that comes off the back of the air box and goes to the intercooler wasn't attached and was just hanging there. I reattached it and know there is no blow-off sound at all. Is this normal? Would the P/O have done this on purpose for the "cool" sound?

I should add, the P/O installed a full 3 inch exhaust with no baffle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:43 pm 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Do you mean power windows or power mirrors or both?

With a bigish list of system failures I would start to wonder if either an AM fusible link had failed (square looking plastic cubes with clear lids in the under bonnet fuse box) or if there was physical damage in the under bonnet fuse box. I think there's an AM fuse that covers a few of the systems switched by the accessory position on the ignition switch but I don't have the EWD book to check at the moment

Taking the previous owner's story at face value I wonder if a clumsily plonked battery might catch the loom/fusebox and do something unpleasant.
Memory eludes me on the exact details but if you unbolt the fusebox from the inner wing it can then be further disassembled to give access to the wiring harness connectors - there may be a couple of bolts in the fusebox which hold it together
Issues with these connections are not unheard of so have a good poke about and check for corrosion

Regarding the brrrrm, tish dump valve thing - if what you reconnected was the big flying saucer thing circled in red then that is the OEM dump valve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:31 pm 
New Poster

Just the power mirrors, the windows work fine. Ok I'll swap a few of those fusible links and take apart the under hood box, that makes sense like you said about the battery (the PO could have been full of *bleep* too lol).

Thanks for the picture, I put 2 and 2 together and realized that was the BOV and that the reason it was so loud was because it was just venting to atmosphere. I actually liked the sound but would prefer unfiltered air not be sucked into the turbo from the gapping hole in the air box haha. Aftermarket BOV here we come!

Thanks for the all the great advice!! I'll let you know what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:37 pm 
Group B

You can always put a plate over the hole in the airbox and then the standard BOV works as an atmospheric one. All dump valves are normally slightly open at idle and will allow in a small amount of unfiltered air in this state. Unless you use the car in a particularly dusty environment it isn't normally a problem.

Wiring wise, I suspect you may have multiple issues. I couldn't see any link between heater and the others. It's worth having a close inspection of the wiring looms checking for damage. Also inspect all connections / connectors for signs of overheating - discolouration or melting of plastics & wire insulation etc. - this is a sign of a poor connection.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:49 pm 
New Poster

SOLVED

Actually solved this a few months ago but forgot to post. Turned out it was an issue with the extra junction box for the aftermarket alarm that everything was routed through (big surprise lol). So I tore all that out and went back to stock. Everything works now, thanks for all the tips and help guys.