www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:20 pm 
Clubman

Car Model: ST205
Just curious. On reminiscing about the demise of the GT4OC I quoted an example of there being a great tutorial on it on how to change a turbo complete with pictures, but was told I could get exactly the same thing on this forum. So, I did a 'search', which returned 11 pages of results - not one on actually how to change a turbo. Am I missing it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:02 pm 
Club Staff

There is a guide to removing the turbo as part of the engine removal guide here: http://wiki.gt4dc.co.uk/index.php?title=ST205_engine_swap

However - you seem insistent to prove that other resources are rubbish and that the GT4OC archive was the all telling oracle. May I suggest that you direct your further comments on this matter to the people actually responsible - the GT4OC staff. You can contact them via their new website.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:14 pm 
Clubman

Sirius wrote:
There is a guide to removing the turbo as part of the engine removal guide here: http://wiki.gt4dc.co.uk/index.php?title=ST205_engine_swap

However - you seem insistent to prove that other resources are rubbish and that the GT4OC archive was the all telling oracle.

Apologies for any offense caused, this was not my intention - I was merely lamenting the loss of a resource for this great car, just as folk would do if anything happened to the gt4dc...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:47 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
I won't bother typing a technical reply as that isn't what the OP wants, it's just a political thread trying to make a point. Funny how politics seems to appear with any mention of the OC - the reason many of us don't go there. TBH I think there is a good case for adding it to the swear filter.

In practice, there are probably more people on this site who have removed turbos many times over and will know all the shortcuts and easy ways of doing the job than on the much bigger OC. If someone wants to know something, they only need to ask. The knowledge is still here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:43 am 
Clubman

Nibbles wrote:
I won't bother typing a technical reply as that isn't what the OP wants, it's just a political thread trying to make a point. Funny how politics seems to appear with any mention of the OC - the reason many of us don't go there.

Must confess to finding this really interesting. I joined the GT4OC in 2004 when I first got my car. To be honest, I wasn't aware of this club as maybe 'google' wasn't as clever in those days LOL I just assumed the OC was a support forum for the car. Had absolutely no idea of any 'political' nuance the club had. I just use to post a question, and get a response. I live in Northern Ireland so never attended any of the 'events', which I suppose would give the opportunity for personalities to influence opinions. I'm quite naive and take things at face value. I had no clue there was any sort of 'rivalry' between what really should be one big GT4 family, which is such a shame. Anyway, enough soppiness on my part. I appreciate the help I've had on this forum, and will continue now to use & abuse all your collective knowledge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:20 am 
Club Staff

Appreciate your reply.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:42 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Apologies for being a bit harsh, the OC seems to bring out the worst in people.

For people who just popped in once in a while for technical information there wasn't a problem - and lets face it, the majority of owners of these cars tend to be short term anyway - buy it cheap without realising the running costs involved in maintaining a 20 year old performance car. It was the long standing regulars that seemed to fall foul of politics and create or populate the splinter clubs - and those are generally the people carryling the most knowledge.

Anyway, as you say, the important thing is that there is support, knowledge and parts to keep these cars going, wherever that comes from.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:51 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Interesting post and great link Sirius.
I shake my head in disbelief sometimes. :)
Been around for 15 years on these sites and was relieved when DC formed and again when EC was created. Not so enamoured with OF but each to their own.
I'm told F'book has the most posts??? Stuff that :) not a member.
Sympathy to stephengt4. Many peeps only knew OC and did not 'shop' around.
I too hope we can all join in one merry GT4 community and share all knowledge.
No politics intended. Love ya all xx