www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 pm

Post subject: Tyre suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:23 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: ST205
Hi All,

I am in need of 4 new tyres for the GT-Four and am after some tyre suggestions, I am running the standard OEM 6 spoke wheels and my tyre size is 225/50/16.

I'm currently running Toyo Proxes T-1R. I havent been impressed to be honest, they did not perform as well as the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 that I had several sets off. Sadly these are no longer available.

Thoughts I have had are:

Michelin Pilot Sport
Pirellli P-Zero (have these on my RWD BMW and rate them)

Anything else I should be considering?

Not too fussed about wear as the car isn't a daily driver but I do want excellent wet and dry grip.

Post subject: Re: Tyre suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:20 am 
Club Staff

Car Model: None
I'd suggest the pilot sport 3 (tried all 3 variants on the M3 and the latest was better by a small margin).

I can't find them in 225/50/16 though :-(

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3
Multicolour yawn Honda VFR400
Silver Honda Civic Type-R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:32 pm 
Group B

Include uniroyal rainsport 3 in your options. I haven't tried them personally, but past experience of uniroyal tyres is that they are very good in the wet. Reports I've heard is that these are exceptional in the wet and still good in the dry.

I tried P zero a while back on the 185 and found them a bit all or nothing in the wet, but then they were 225 on 17 inch rims so less sidewall flex than the other tyres I was used to. They were nowhere near as bad as the poxies though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:00 pm 
Group N

MPSS are generally accepted as the best all round tyre from what I have read. Not to be confused with PS3 which are not anywhere near as good. MPSS were designed to go on the Ferrari 599 I believe so are of the highest quality compounds.

I ended up getting Vredestein Vorti's on mine in 225/40/18 and are more than capable for how I drive (I don't think I have ever put my foot to the floor with the accelerator!).

Good sites for decent prices are Asda, Camskill, Tyre Leader and Oponeo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:45 am 
Club Staff

I've not tried the super sport but having read about the differences before my purchase on the PS3 it seems the super sport is better on track and fast road/summer but not as good in the wet. I find it rare to exceed the levels of grip in the dry and hence opted for better wet weather grip as I would actually need that :-)

It is probably a moot point anyway as the only Michelin tyres I can find in Mike's size is the PS1 at £250 a corner which is out of date by a long shot or the silly economy focused range.

I have tried Continental sport/falkens/nankangs/Avons and Kumho KU39 also on the M3 (as well as the Goodyear F1 and Toyo's already mentioned on a Gt4) and IMHO the the only one even half worth considering is the KU39 but tyre wear is bad (10K miles as opposed to 25K of PS3 on the rear of the M3) and grip levels are below Goodyear F1 or Michelin PS3. Whilst I have been happy enough with them I would go back to F1/PS3 next time. The contis were OK were worse than F1/PS1 and similar cost.

A possible left field choice - Bridgestone RE070 - very stiff sidewall and pretty good levels of grip on the Civic Type R - not fantastic in the wet though.
Or vredestein seem to get good reviews.

Its looking like the Pirelli option (if available in your size) may actually be a sensible route due to the unavailability of most others in 16".

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:32 am 
Clubman

If I knew a tyre that was excellent in the wet and excellent in the dry I'd be using it myself :D

Choice is becoming more and more restricted in 225/50 R16 too. My personal preference would be for RE070 but AFAIK it is only available in 225/45 R17 (developed for O/E fitment to the Impreza) or in the R20 sizes for R35 GTR!

I'm still quite a fan of Bridgestones though - currently shifting from Dunlop Sport Max RT (which I didn't like) to RE002 Potenza, which I see are available in the size you want.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:02 pm 
Group N

Interestingly the MPSS are a replacement for the PS2s, the PS3s were never a follow on from the PS2s and were a more budget version not associated with the PS range (cant remember the tyre they replaced, Exelsior or something similar which is a mid range tyre). All the reviews I read put the MPSS well up there in wet weather performance, higher than PS3. But hey I havent driven with PS3s before so relying on what others say.

I think Contis would be a good shout if not wanting to spend top money. My Vreds are fine for me but clearly are on a standard car at 281bhp.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:57 pm 
Group B

As above, the best tyre in the wet won't be the best in the dry and vice versa.

I tend to favour the good in the wet tyres as this is when you're most likely to exceed the limits, avoiding the grip grip grip catch a small puddle and let go completely scenaro. These tyres also tend to be a bit more progressive when they do let go. Overall much much easier to drive on.

Worth having a look at what BF Goodrich have to offer too. A long standing well respexted performance tyre manufacturer, and having tried their 'g-grip' tyres on my Clio recently I have been very impressed, far far better than other types I've tried.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:58 am 
Club Staff

Thanks for the input so far. Must admit to being quite shocked by the relatively limited choice in the 225/50/16 size. :(

Perhaps it is finally time to move to aftermarket wheels?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:59 am 
Group N

Sirius wrote:
Thanks for the input so far. Must admit to being quite shocked by the relatively limited choice in the 225/50/16 size. :(

Do it! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:27 am 
Club Staff

Sirius wrote:

The performance tyre market has shifted to larger rims it seems. I've hit the same issue with my St185 having recently purchased standard rims. 215/50/15 or 225/50/15 seem to only be available in Nankang or Toyo!

I feel for the Lamborghini Countach owners as the 335/50/15 used on the rear are now only available form one manufacturer and at £500 a corner ;-)

I guess that if you are looking toi retain teh standard-ish look a set of Revolution Millenium 17x8 in silver-grey would fit the bill.
http://s245.photobucket.com/user/simons ... 4.jpg.html

the cloest I can find to a set of standard wheels in larger size in the porsche curved one which can be made to fit but are just not worth the hassle.

Grey St185 RC
Silver BMW E46 M3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:59 am 
Club Staff

+1 for the Revolution Milleniums in 17*8 silver grey. You won't regret it. I've had great support from Revolution when they first started selling them. They will machine the centre bore and offset to your specification from the standard castings. Handy if you want to widen the track without fitting spacers.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Special GT 590bhp @ 1.8bar
1989 Van Diemen RF88/89 Formula Ford 1600
2008 Nissan Patrol GU 3.0L ZD30DDTi 154bhp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:21 pm 
Club Staff

Just to update this - given that I was in need of two rear tyres I decided that in the absence of being able to find a suitable replacement in the right size or a nice wheel that looked standard ish in the right size or colour I decided to just get 2x replacement Toyo T1R's price was £78 each fitted which I didnt think was too bad.

Have decided that Rota Grid's are the wheel to go for in the 17x8 size however for our wheel fitment they only do them in bronze and black so I think I will keep my eye out for a 2nd hand set that I can then refurb silver. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:44 am 
Group N

Hey Mike, have you tried looking at Japan Racing wheels, comparable quality to Rota and do 5x100 17x8 (assume you want 35 offset?) in silver and a lot of other colours, the JR3s are pretty much identical to Rota Grids in terms of styling and caliper clearance. Have a look here on Tarmac's site (drop Chris the owner an email via the site, he knows me and I have bought various bits off him with great service each time) http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/Japan_Racing_JR3_17_Inch_Wheels_/JR3-17.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:17 pm 
Club Staff

Thanks for the suggestion - I did come across these whilst searching, however they all seem to have a multifit PCD - ie they all seem to have 10 holes drilled, I'm not a fan of that look. Potentially got a set of revolutions on the radar - will see what happens.