www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:36 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: ST205
Thx Sirius

I dont use FB. Bt its handy to know these parts are available easily thru breakers....

Are there any you would recommend? I'm not even sure what I would need at this point. Still a bit shell-shocked... maybe its best i get a mech round and see where this goes but any parts supplier recommends and / or restorer tips (essex) would be welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:30 am 
Club Staff

Don't forget there's the possibility of a myriad of other parts

It looks like the main damage is above the crash bar but until the chassis legs are checked damage to them can't be ruled out

Other things that you need to check
Water Rad
Fan housing
Charge cooler Rad
Oil cooler and hard lines
Power steering cooler
Various brackets that support above coolers
Aircon Rad
Aircon dryer and assorted hardlines
Horns
Bonnet latch mechanism
Slam panel
Vertical centre support stay (bonnet latch mechanism is bolted to it)
The front wiring harness
The relay box and relays that are attached to the slam panel
Query main fuse box and main wiring harness
Query overflow expansion bottle
Query windscreen washer bottle
Query air box/intake system behind the n/s wing
Query Wheels and particularly tyres could easily have taken damage
If the wheels are damaged you're into a world of potential suspension damage pain

If everything really has been pushed back to touching the engine
Query Turbo
Query down pipe/catalytic convertor
Query exhaust manifold
Query Turbo water and oil feed pipes

If there is chassis damage then
Query radiator support cross member
Query sub frame damage
Query engine mounts

There's probably more stuff that I've overlooked too

Sorry to sound brutal but that's the sad reality. Its easy to look and think wings/bonnet/bumper and all will be well. In reality there's plenty of other things glued to the front of the car and if a lot of them are damaged its going to get time consuming and hence massively expensive if a garage has to fix them

By your own admission you're perhaps not ideally suited to coming up with a realistic assessment of the damage. Either get an estimate from a garage or contact your local vehicle assessor and see if you can commission an in dependant assessment (try here for a local outfit http://www.iaea-online.org/find-an-engineer/ )

If you go with a garage be upfront about the need to use salvaged parts (at your own risk). At that stage many will tell you to go forth and multiply as its a potential pain in the proverbial for them. Anyone who hasn't shown you the door at that point might be of use. Personally reccomended places are also worth their weight in gold so its worth asking that friend/relative who hasn't grasped the not a bumper car idea if they've had good service anywhere

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:26 am 
Club Staff

Or for a different possibly better approach talk to Martin thingamabob or South Coast Workshops (both names are wrong but someone else will know who I mean or i might remember when I'm sober).

Neither are local to you but both are very competent gt4 workshops who probably have access to helpful repair places and a ready supply of replacement parts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:27 am 
Club Staff

Martin Kingston is who I was trying to think of. I have no idea what his business is called or how you contact him other than via a private message on here. Sirius might have some details as I know Martin has worked on his car

South Coast Workshop apparently is the right name, blast these businesses who change names, I'm easily confused

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:49 pm 
New Poster

Thanks for the input Two_oh_five (peugot fan?)

That is one hell of a list. I know this wont be a quick fix, and I have no ready cash. At the moment I'm thinking loans and so on, and then again I'm thinking sell the cherished plate, sell the car as a donor? Maybe I'll get several hundred quid for it and start over. But I've had it nearly 20 years .Nothing can ever replace it......

It's my own fault. A moment or two of distraction in slow traffic.... after 32 years without a single accident....

I am so gutted. But you've all been great!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:17 am 
Club Staff

Try and get an expert opinion first, it'll cost a few quid but you'll have a much better idea of where you really stand. A trained eye will spot most, if not all, damage and at least you can decide from an informed position
Your car could be saved and potentially for a palatable amount using salvage parts and DIY labour but I suspect full garage rate labour would kill it. Really its a project suited to a long term approach. There's likely to be a big lump payable for panel beating and paint (but that would be a few months away as you'd need to find panels and strip off broken stuff first) but the rest of it would suit scratching about for cheap parts and fitting them yourself as they come up. However that does require considerable spanner wielding on your side

Get an estimate or assessment then give Martin a call ( MK Auto website is https://www.mkautorepairsandtuning.uk) and ask his opinion.

I do actually have a soft spot for an old pug having been fortunate enough to get a few rides in the George Hartwell rally spec 205 - it was sort of unofficially sponsored by the body repair center my father ran and used to occasionally arrive on a trailer/in bin bags. Staff rides were a grin inducing perk.
However my forum name comes from the fact that I drive an ST205 and have managed to elicit a couple of OH!s from passengers on track days : )

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:25 pm 
New Poster

This is probably the depression talking, but would my best prospect be to sell my car as a donor?
And if so would anyone be interested or know the best people to contact?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:47 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
Id be inclined to get that to South Coast workshops for evaluation
Martin Kingston has done all the work on my cars when I have needed expert help but Im in the North and you are in the South hence me suggesting SCW, I have only heard good things about them but never used them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:51 pm 
New Poster

Would anyone happen to know Martins contact details? I've tried googling and the closest I get is a Yacht place in POrtsmouth..... Or would anyone happen to know his user name on the forum so I could PM him?

Just done a bit more googling and I think I found him..... There is a Martin Kingston working from MK Autos in Blackburn. Not sure if thats him how the south coast thing arises.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:21 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
That's him MK Autos maybe 07876 712927 ? not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:19 pm 
Group N

Car Model: None
https://www.mkautorepairsandtuning.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:29 pm 
Club Staff

To clear up the confusion:

Martin Kingston - http://www.mkautorepairsandtuning.uk/ - based in Blackburn, Lancashire also - https://www.facebook.com/wheregt4dreamscometrue/
Barry Taylor - http://www.southcoastworkshop.co.uk - Based Emsworth, Hampshire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:52 pm 
New Poster

Hi Guys - Been nearly three years! And it’s been a bit of a nightmare but not the cars fault....... a friend recommended a friend to do the work, price agreed, paid up front £1000 to get the work going and long story short had to recover the car 9 months later to anther garage. All that had been done is bumper strip off. Needless to say the guy is not giving me back my money and now I have to sue him.

So it went to Brett, Unicar, Battlesbridge Essex and within 2-3 weeks it is virtually complete! Just awaiting a few parts on order and desperately looking for a FOS strutt. Still have no idea about the full cost. Have spent about £2000 on parts so far, mainly Bonnet, wings, bumper, front panel, lights, rads and a myriad of other gubbins like emblems etc. Most of the parts I got from willGTfour on ebay (I have him on speed dial these days) but had to go shopping at GT4play for super rare stuff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvrn9sd0u84ce ... 6.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5k9a1ia1wmh3d ... 3.jpg?dl=0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:25 pm 
New Poster

https://youtu.be/qEia1KHCn1k

A cheeky resto video with added silliness (that I am crazy proud of not being technical!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:03 pm 
Group N

Car Model: ST185 CS/RC
Ha ha. Great. I hope it was all worth it. ATB