www.gt4dc.co.uk
Maintain, Modify and DRIVE your GT-Four

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

Post subject: Car Battery Options
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:47 pm 
New Poster

Car Model: None
Hi All

My ST205 has now failed to start twice in a month, it clicks a lot when i turn the key but does not turn over. Last time i ended up flooding the engine trying to start it.

The old Halfords battery has done 7 years ish and I am guessing has probably had its day now, and it seems a good idea to change it anyway to narrow down reasons for not starting.

I have always liked modifying as opposed to just replacing and years ago people were opting for Varley Red Top batteries as a lightweight replacement, I want to go as light as possible without spending dumb amounts or having to keep the thing on trickle charge constantly. What are the practical alternatives:-

1. Varley Red Top
2. Lithium Ion
3. Gel
4. Something else that I have not heard of.

Thanks in Advance

I was a member of the GT4OC for over 10 years, The last couple I have been very quiet n the forums, kids life etc, did a nuclear bomb hit that place or something? Is this where all the members went ?

Post subject: Re: Car Battery Options
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:28 am 
Clubman

Car Model: ST205
If you're running a road car fitted with an alarm then I'd stick with a standard lead acid chemistry battery. Anything else is likely to either go flat due to the parasitic drain of the alarm or similar which will either be a PITA or worse if you 'brick' your expensive lightweight battery.

I run a Ballistic Evo2 (Lithium Ferrous chemistry) on the track car and that has been no problem, and is extremely light (about 1.6kg) but I always disconnect it whilst the car is in the garage. Anything with Li based chemistry is going to be extremely expensive compared with lead acid and a single accidental deep discharge will destroy it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:13 pm 
Clubman

I have a standard 'road car' with an alarm. If I leave it for 2 weeks, it'll go flat, even when fully charged before leaving, always has done but that only happens on my annual holiday. I simply went to the local 'kwikFit' place and got replacements there, they have a 2 year warranty, reasonably priced, and you don't even have to get your hands dirty.

As for the forum being 'quiet', it's mainly because these cars are now 22 years old, and owners are just dropping off. The GT4OC suffered a catastrophic IT failure, though they are back up and running now. But, they have no historic posts which leads the forum to be less than useless. I'm one of the strays that have found a new home here -it's not busy, but there's usually someone around to answer a question...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:35 pm 
Group N

I got a Yuasa battery off ebay for £40 and fitted it myself - alright of course there are better ones out there but for my causal road driving, it starts the car and generally does what I need it to. I also invested in a small car starter, paid £50 and it sits in my glovebox, can jump start a car up to 12 times and holds the charge for 3 months. Also has handy bits like a torch etc on it as well as USB out ports to charge phones and the like.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 pm 
Clubman

I carry this in my boot...

and once a month, my battery gets charged up with this...

Lets just say I've had battery issues in the past, but no more LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:55 pm 
Group N

This is the chap I got, sits in the glove box with room to spare :D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatit-Gasoline-Emergency-Powerbank-Flashlight/dp/B01DKKZMKO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:31 pm 
Group B

Car Model: None
Hi and welcome.

Lithium based batteries are a furnace / bomb waiting to go off if anyhing goes wrong, either incorrect charging or incorrect usage - as Samsung found out. They require very special charging techniques, which means the charging circuitry needs to be built into the battery if it is being applied to a retro-fit such as this.
Scale this up to a car sized battery in an accident - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqV6zEO ... l=Rensuxxx

You can save weight by going smaller, for example in my competion car I went for a small 20AH gel battery of the type used in jump starter packs. It all works fine, but it is either disconnected or wired to a trickle charger if the car isn't used for a few days.

Any time a lead acid battery spends at less than full charge is shortening it's life. If you only use the car occasionally and it is going part flat each time, it's life will be much shorter. There are versions that can cope with this better, generally known as leisure batteries, but they tend to be heavier and more expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:26 am 
Clubman

Nibbles wrote:

Scale this up to a car sized battery in an accident - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqV6zEO ... l=Rensuxxx

Yes indeed, best not to fire loads of staples into your battery charger! :lol: